Sex and fissures...

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Sex and fissures...

Postby Luka » 19 Feb 2013, 00:38

I searched the forum and didn't really see anything on this topic, so I'll reluctantly bring it up here (even though I'm sure sex and anything having to do with it is the last thing on your minds!).
I haven't had sex or done anything (including masturbation) since this issue started (since about late December for me). I'm currently healing and using Diltiazem (I've been on it about four weeks now and have another 2-4 weeks on it, at least). I'm still having some pain now and then, but it's not at all near the excruciating level it was when this first started.
Anyway, I'm really scared that orgasm (whether through masturbation or sex) will re-tear the area, so I've been avoiding it. I was wondering how you guys cope with this and when it's safe to start having orgasms and sex again. I still have some pain now and then, so I've been too scared to do anything. I know my boyfriend is very sexually deprived and this concerns me, even though he's been very understanding. It's just been a strain on our relationship and I have to admit I've been sexually deprived myself at times (when I'm not having pain). Can an orgasm cause tearing since it involves muscle contractions down there (including the anal area)? I really, REALLY do not want to re-tear the area and go through this all over again. :( I just don't know when it'll be safe for me again.
I realize I should probably contact my CRS about this, but wanted to ask you guys first. Thank you! :) You've all been a great help!
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Re: Sex and fissures...

Postby PIA » 19 Feb 2013, 01:02

Hi Luka, You sound like you are well on the way to healing. I will answer assuming you are a female and say "go for it". You sound like you are well on the way to healing with pain free episodes. My experience is that it will not hinder the healing process in any way. I think it could only benefit. The blood flow to the area will be improved and the muscles that contract with orgasm are different to the sphincter muscle. This will relax the sphincter. A happy fissure is a healing fissure. Image
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby PIA » 19 Feb 2013, 01:06

From what I have read from sufferers on this forum it seems that anal sex is not advised until completely healed.
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby coconut » 19 Feb 2013, 15:31

I can't see why sex would hurt a fissure, unless you are into anal, which is definitely out. I can say from experience that sex-for-one is just fine. As PIA said, blood down there is a good thing. Orgasm is GREATfor healing. They have studies on this and everything. (Now, bad sex, on the other hand, seems like a bad idea. You don't want more congestion and pain down there.)
I think feeling sexy is the bigger issue. I don't feel so sexy after sticking honey up my bum with my pointer finger and then using a mirror to check on my anal tag. LOL. Checking my stool for blood after squatting over the toilet - also not sexy. I suspect that the more objective reality is that one's partner is unlikely to even really see much wrong down there. Most sexual positions don't have us opening the butt cheeks. And other people can't understand the pain of spasms.
If I had a partner, I would go for it, but I would also make sure that she/he understands that I'm feeling fragile and should take it slow and gentle.
As for starting date someone while this is going on. HA! My mother came over the other day and asked me if I was seeing anyone. The look I gave her could have blown up a small planet.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Luka » 19 Feb 2013, 16:13

Thank you PIA and coconut for the info. Yes, I am female. :) I feel relieved after reading what you wrote. Yes, orgasm does promote blood flow to that region, which I was thinking could be beneficial. I guess it's just the contractions that worry me because I fear they'll re-tear the fissure somehow. I guess they aren't that strong, though, and nothing compared to labor. I haven't seen anything mentioned about re-tears happening due to orgasm or normal (non-anal) sex on here or through a Google search, so hopefully everything will be fine. I'm just very paranoid about setbacks with my fissure.
I agree it's hard to feel sexy when you have this issue, coconut. Thinking about bowel movements all the time and putting ointment in my butt twice a day isn't sexy at all, ugh. I know my boyfriend is tired of hearing about it, too (he doesn't have any butt or digestion issues despite his poor diet... I'm so jealous of him!).
Oh yeah, and I'm not AT ALL into anal sex, so no worries there. I couldn't even imagine doing it under normal circumstances, let alone with a fissure. >_< Strictly an out for me, thanks!
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Luka
VIP

Postby jr2 » 19 Feb 2013, 21:29

Luka,
as far as sex, whatever you are comfortable with. The increased blood flow and the stretching of the vaginal canal could have some benefit for relaxation in the whole pelvic area.
orgasms... tougher to know there. The muscle contractions have for some female fissure sufferers (and males for that matter) triggered anal spasms when the fissure has been in a bad phase, and have caused more pain. For others it hasn't been a problem at all.
So, it's a bit tough to predict beforehand, but as far as it causing an actual re-tear? Probably not very likely.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby marg6043 » 20 Feb 2013, 11:29

Luka my fissure is located closes to the feminine part with a huge sensitive skin tag hanging there.
I also dreaded sex during the time the fissure was having constant spams and was very painful because my entire pelvic area and femenine parts will be hurting, I actually was feeling deja vu from when I had my children and the cut was done for the delivery.
But then to my surprise it was not as bad as I believe it was going to be.
Yes you have to be careful as too much manipulation can irritate the area and cause some soreness.
But is ok, only trying you will know how it will be.
Like others say GO For It, girl. :D
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Luka » 22 Feb 2013, 15:44

Thanks everyone for your comments and help. :D As soon as I feel comfortable enough (probably another week or two), I'll try it out again. I'm still a little hesitant, but from what you've said, I think it will be okay. Some days I feel better than others and I want to be able to enjoy myself on those days without worry, you know? Thanks again everyone!
Luka
VIP

Postby BillUltra » 22 Feb 2013, 17:19

Great topic. As a male I would like to offer that I avoided orgasms as much as I could, because when I had one it would cause my anal sphincter muscle to contract, causing great pain, and maybe re-tearing if I remember correctly. Because of my bad marriage at the time masturbation was the only option I considered. It's been almost a year for me now, but all I do remember is that after the orgasm it would hurt. Several times I finally gave in after holding out as long as I could, and had to really concentrate on trying to relax my anal sphincter when I started reaching the magic moment. It was hard. Or difficult I should say.
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby havefaith » 08 Jan 2014, 20:54

i agree with bill ultra, just today i masturbated and although once in a blue moon it works out, i believe in men it does cause your sphincter to really contract hard and can cause that internal sphincter to start narrowing the canal.

ive gone though periods where at sometimes when i would orgasm it would hurt and a few it didnt. my best advice is that you know your body.. do what feels right :)
I have faith in you always, i love you like my own son or daughter, when you hurt, i hurt. Let us all be each others guiding light, and heal without anxiety :) Much love to all.
havefaith
Salt Bather

Topics: 14