Ready to take the Nitro at 12pm

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Ready to take the Nitro at 12pm

Postby Deleted User 2347 » 25 Feb 2013, 12:57

new poster here, lurking the past week. Was prescribed the nitro. I get headaches almost instantly. No light headedness. I try to take advil a half hour before to combat it. Headaches have lasted anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes or so. Sometimes they do pound, especially if I try to move around much. On day 4 of it here, twice a day. Can't say that I think it does much of anything for me, but who knows... supposed to be on it at least a week before noticing any results. For me the stool softeners seem to have been the best route. and I think the Lidocaine has helped as well.
Deleted User 2347

Postby owmybum » 25 Feb 2013, 13:05

Nitro gave me a horrendous headache almost instantly. I wiped it off and never tried it again... It got hurled in the bin!!
I hope you get on with it. X
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby suzyljank » 25 Feb 2013, 13:15

Hi, don't be afraid of Nitro. I did get a headache the first time I tried it but took 2 ibuprofen and I was fine. I just decreased the amount the next time. In a few days I wasn't getting any headaches at all. Just apply around the opening and if you can get a little inside it helps but is not necessary. You should be able to feel it relax the muscle in just a few minutes, at least that's how it works for me... I never used a peas sized amount either. My doctor just said to use a little on the end of a cotton swab. Don't apply it with and uncovered finger because it is absorbed into the skin quickly, either use a plastic glove or cotton swab, then you won't be getting too much nitro. Good luck Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Deleted User 2347 » 25 Feb 2013, 13:21

Yes the ibuprofen helps. I'm hit or miss, some days the headaches are bad, other times they're hardly noticeable. Definitely harder to get "in there" than just other creams, I'm assuming because of the glove. Seems to irritate a bit more than say Lidocaine, but I just sit on a heating pad right away and I'm good to go in a couple minutes.
I too apply like the instructions that came with it... an inch, not the "pea" sized amount written by the doc.
I of course can't speak for whether it works or not, as I said I'm only on day 4, but worth the minor discomfort to me to help with the fissure. Headaches should be the least of your worries.
Deleted User 2347

Postby JHH » 25 Feb 2013, 13:35

Call me crazy, but I actually like the headaches. They indicate the nitro is doing what its supposed to, and they take my mind off my butt.
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby coconut » 25 Feb 2013, 13:39

People get different levels of headaches. I'm glad yours are manageable. They are for most people, and I hear that they do reduce after a week or so for most people.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby GGky1959 » 25 Feb 2013, 13:44

Hey everyone, I finally did it, I took the dreaded plunge and with a huge smile on my face...the world didn't come to an end and so far all is well. I still have the pain in my bum, but not as bad and yes....no sooner had I applied my miracle cream, the headaches instantly started.....and I immediately took 2 aleve and laid down for about an hour. So now I don't know if its the Aleve that's making my butt not hurt or or the gel....but I did it, I'm so proud of myself and with fingers cross I hope this is the begining of an end for me with pain.....
I've read everyone's comments, and as always am so grateful and humbled by the support we all give one another and I thank God every single day for this website and the many cyber friends it has allowed me.
GGky1959
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Postby GGky1959 » 25 Feb 2013, 14:03

coconut wrote:Do it! Just take some entertainment into the bed with you and relax a bit after you apply. There's a 80% chance you won't get a headache. Frankly, I'm jealous of the people for whom this has worked. It sounds like a great treatment.

CoCo I did it and when they say the headaches come almost immediately, they do not lie...my God....it is instant and swift...but all in all, I feel okay...I'm now wondering is it the meds I took to combat the headaches that's working or the cream....????Nevertheless, I did it, I did it with the support and encouragement of everyone here and I'm so grateful for that. Now whether or not its a means to an end??????Only time will tell.
GGky1959
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby GGky1959 » 25 Feb 2013, 14:06

JHH wrote:I get the 'nitro' headacke within minutes. Usually along with dizziness. But its really nothing compared to the fissure issues...

J, those headaches are massive and so swift to overtake you. I thought as I walked into my bedroom that I was gonna pass out from the overwhelming mirage of head pain....but yes, now that I've medicated my ache...I feel confident that maybe there's hope to measure up to here....at least I hope so and yes, any pain is better than having a broke coke bottle shoved up your bum every time you sit or move...thanks again J
GGky1959
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby coconut » 25 Feb 2013, 14:13

GGky1959 wrote:
coconut wrote:Do it! Just take some entertainment into the bed with you and relax a bit after you apply. There's a 80% chance you won't get a headache. Frankly, I'm jealous of the people for whom this has worked. It sounds like a great treatment.

CoCo I did it and when they say the headaches come almost immediately, they do not lie...my God....it is instant and swift...but all in all, I feel okay...I'm now wondering is it the meds I took to combat the headaches that's working or the cream....????Nevertheless, I did it, I did it with the support and encouragement of everyone here and I'm so grateful for that. Now whether or not its a means to an end??????Only time will tell.

Woohoo!!!!!!
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12