Artificial sweeteners and loose stools

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Artificial sweeteners and loose stools

Postby Luka » 28 Mar 2013, 00:36

I'm curious if any of you have had any bad reactions to artificial sweeteners (like causing loose stools or diarrhea). Thinking back to when I developed my fissure during this past Christmas-time, I was eating a lot of "low-sugar" instant oatmeal by Quaker and developed loose, burning stools. Well, I found out after the fact that the oatmeal actually had artificial sweetener in it (namely sucralose), which was listed on the back in the ingredients list (not mentioned at all on the front... ugh). I stopped it immediately and the loose, burning stools seemed to go away in a few days. I just find it odd that I had that problem when I was eating that oatmeal every night for so long.
Anybody else have digestive problems with artificial sweeteners? Or do you just avoid them all together? I don't want to go through that experience again, so I'm avoiding artificial sweeteners like sucralose altogether. I am afraid to even touch oatmeal again after all that, though. It would probably be okay, since I don't have any problems with other oat products. I will probably give the plain, "no-sugar" variety a try sometime since it doesn't have sucralose or anything in it. I just can't pinpoint what else could have irritated my digestive system so much except the sugar substitute.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Re: Artificial sweeteners and loose stools

Postby Anonymon » 28 Mar 2013, 06:03

I used to have a lot of artificial sweeteners of varying kinds, and it made my stool loose, but in more of an osmotic laxative sort of way. I never experienced burning... though at the time I also didn't have a wound down there. I had actually thought about going back to them in my case!
They're definitely not for everybody.
Anonymon
Salt Bather

Topics: 26

Postby Guest » 09 Apr 2013, 11:58

Just saw a site that said yes AS can cause diarrhea...
It reads
"Osmotic diarrhea means that something in the bowel is drawing water from the body into the bowel. A common example of this is "dietetic candy" or "chewing gum" diarrhea, in which a sugar substitute, such as sorbitol, is not absorbed by the body but draws water from the body into the bowel, resulting in diarrhea. "---WEB MD
http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/digestive-diseases-diarrhea

Postby Luka » 09 Apr 2013, 23:38

That's probably what my problem was with the sucralose in that instant oatmeal I was eating all the time. I'll definitely be watching what I eat from now on. No more artificial sweeteners for me! Yuck! From now on, it's just plain oatmeal with some fruit.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby Darkeyes » 13 Apr 2013, 11:21

I've gotten diarrhea from eating sugar-free soft serve yogurt. I always thought it was the artificial sweetener that caused the problem since regular, full of sugar soft server yogurt never bothered me. I try to avoid artificial sweeteners.
One of my friends tried the high fiber quaker oatmeal and her stomach became very upset. It also contains sucralose.
I bought metamucil on advice of my CRS and I accidentally bought the kind with aspartame. I'm going to try to find the version that doesn't have an artificial sweetener or another brand of fiber.
Darkeyes
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Anonymon » 20 Apr 2013, 17:36

I've been experimenting with adding in some foods with artificial sweeteners in them, and they did have the effect I was after - more watery stool. So for me, they're another tool in my butt box to deal with healing.
Anonymon
Salt Bather

Postby ravians » 20 Apr 2013, 23:09

good to hear that. did it soften the stool after taking it once or twice . and after how may days of use u find it effective. I m dealing with my fissures for almost an uear. bit this Time it's been almost two month my sphincter is not giving way , stools r healthy but I need soft one. I m taking a lot of water, fruits but still not soft that can help me. I m thankful to my Lord that from past few days I dont feel much pain or itching or burning. any way may Lord bles us all with health n bring to us 100% health.
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby ravians » 20 Apr 2013, 23:11

n which sweetner r u using?
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ravians » 20 Apr 2013, 23:41

I don't remember well where but it was a reliable one where it was mentioned that sorbitol . colas, spice n foods containing salt petre r not good for fissure patients.. I myself this time suffered from recurrence because of coke that I drank 2 to 3 times in 2 days. so people beware of such artificial things. always try to consume natural n less processed food.
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Anonymon » 21 Apr 2013, 19:41

ravians wrote:n which sweetner r u using?

Asfultame potassium with Sucralose.
Anonymon
Salt Bather