How Long do your BMs Last?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How Long do your BMs Last?

Postby Anonymon » 06 Apr 2013, 10:32

Pre-Anal fissure, I naturally had a two-poop rhyme in the morning. One when I wake, another a few hours later after eating some and/or exercising. Now, I'm similar, though the frequency is closer together, and I can just lay there spasming until the next one comes. I'm wondering if I don't have a problem with incomplete bowel evacuation considering I can poop and need to poop again very soon after.
I'm not on the can very long. I used to be, for 15-30 minutes. Sometimes longer if I was reading. But now, I sit, I go for like 20 seconds, and I rinse to stop the spasming.
Should I be sitting for longer? How long do any of you take? I mainly jump to the rinse ASAP to quell the spasms.
Anonymon
Salt Bather

Topics: 26

Re: How Long do your BMs Last?

Postby FLhopeful » 06 Apr 2013, 16:46

Have you tried a squatty potty?
On their site they explain why squatting leads to more complete evacuation.
I don't time myself, but I do know it's a lot shorter since taking Miralax. I hop right in the tub afterwards. Okay - maybe not hop - more of a hobble.
FLhopeful
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby marg6043 » 06 Apr 2013, 17:26

I always have multiple BMs a day, the morning one and another one after, with the fissure and spams it seems that is all related but to tell the truth that is the way that is been even before the fissure flare up.
After healing for 10 months with minor set back my BM routine have not changed at all.
Now, the longest that I have gone without a BM is two days and that is after having stomach problems like diarrhea.
So perhaps is just some of us happen to be like that and is not fissure related.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Ever the Optimist » 06 Apr 2013, 17:49

Hi Anonymon,
I also used to have the two morning BM's like you and then another possibly later on after lunch/ early evening...but not sure if this is related, but once I swapped to squatting, I find I now have just the one morning BM (generally the softest, smoothest, quickest & easiest of the day) in one total evacuation. I have an urge pretty much as soon as I wake up to go and this is normally very quick, probably less than a minute in total, I also get straight off the toilet and use a gentle but warm shower to rinse off and relieve. Squatting is really good for releasing your BM more quickly, easily and normally, completely. I'm wondering if I did the same as you back when my fissure was really bad - get the bulk of the BM out the way, shower off quickly and then found I needed to go again as the first evacuation was not fully completed at the time...
My afternoon BM always seems to take a little longer and I'm never as relaxed when going, so I practice a bit of mindfulness at that time. It generally comes out OK but takes longer (maybe up to 5 mins)
I don't think GP's advocate sitting on the toilet for too long and reading. It's not a good habit as it adds extended pressure to the anal area in that sitting position (which also affects piles and the like), so IMO, the quicker the process, the better! :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

incomplete evacuation since fissure

Postby Bumsaway » 06 Apr 2013, 18:53

I am having similiar problems since being diagnosed with an anal fissure. Before the fissure I usually had 2-3 bms, with no difficulty evacuating completely. Now, about three weeks into fissure territory, I can't seem to empty my bowel before a spasm begins. this then means I am having many small bms, without completely emptying my bowel. Stool is soft, maybe too soft, and unformed. I am wondering if Miralax would help me evacuate more completely. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!
Bumsaway

Postby Port » 06 Apr 2013, 22:36

When I bled the fear of bleeding again contributed to me having incomplete BMs. They say 'relax' when you go, but I found it damn near impossible. I'd pass a little with pain then take a quick peep to see if there was any blood, then jump up, wipe up with Tucks and flush. Problem was, if I didn't get it all out then it tended to get more solid as more water would being extracted from an 'overdue delivery'. The fact that I was taking too much Citrucel at the time also made matters much worse. Had to resort to those individual enema bottles sometimes. I got serious about my diet and taking Miralax again and my bleeding eventually stopped, now I go once a day and fairly quickly. Oatmeal mixed with All Bran and dried fruit help. Remembering to drink enough water is my downfall, think the Miralax gets water where it needs to be when I forget to drink. I enjoy a few cups of coffee during the day and it seems to help the urge...which is almost gone with ignoring it over the years. These forums have been a gigantic help, mentally and physically.
Port
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Bumsaway » 07 Apr 2013, 05:17

Thanks for your response Port. My bms are not long as I do the same thing you do - pass a little, then jump up and look - probably not the most "relaxing" way to poo. I don't have bleeding, but seem to be getting a spasm higher up in my rectum. This morning I just pushed thru it, no pain, just discomfort. If I can empty things well enough, I can have a reasonable day. Here's hoping.
I just joined these forums, but I can see they have a wealth of information and have been very helpful to many.
Bumsaway

Postby Guest » 07 Apr 2013, 15:07

Know what you mean friend.
During my AFs while taking a bm all I could see is that hot shower waiting for me. Many times I would prematurely think i was through only to have to leave the shower and push out some more.
I heard this ages ago but just sitting there for a while can trigger us to go, and I find that to be true in my case.
Crazy as it may sound, my body tells me when I'm done with the bm by letting out a little urine with the last successful bm push.
But yeah, give yourself a little more time,
20 seconds
wow!!

Postby Anonymon » 07 Apr 2013, 15:39

I can completely sympathize with being fearful during the BM and wanting to hop in the shower as I do right after as well. But mine tend to be so short because everything just kinda plops out all at once since I've liquified mine. Even calling the actual BM time 20 seconds is being generous. Once it starts, it's pretty much over. Mine tend to end with sort of a "toot-toot-toot" passing of any gas in there.
After, I feel things moving around in me though. But the time I would take to wait for all that to come out would be like 30 minutes on the can, which worries me that it'd somehow make it all worse.
I don't push at all anymore. If anything, in try really hard to slow things down and not dilate any more than necessary. I've noticed my ass just kinda shoots off like a trumpet, and its been a battle to keep it from shooting too hard.
Anonymon
Salt Bather

Topics: 26

Postby Bumsaway » 07 Apr 2013, 17:15

I know what you mean about the little bit of urine at the end of a bm. I used to do that too, and I'm trying now to use that as a sign things are done for the time being. I do need to just sit there and let it happen. I am working on trying to breath through the bm, so all is as relaxed as possible - no luck so far, but I'll keep trying. The Dilt cream seems to be working as the acute pain has subsided a bit.
Bumsaway