J - Anal Fissure Support Forum

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: J

Postby J-Fissure » 11 Apr 2013, 09:28

marg6043 wrote:
J-Fissure wrote:Wow. Tried vaseline. Not perfect (but that would be impossible), but wow today is going to be a good day. Wish I had tried that sooner -- I will start using it from now on. ty for the encouragement.
J

Hello there J-Fissure Vaseline is one of the first things I tell people to use when they are suffering with the pain and irritation of a fissure, stools are very irritating so you can imagine what happens when they pass over an open and raw fissure.

Another good day using vaseline! I would say that there are two parts that contribute to pain. First the anus has to stretch and second the stool passes over the fissure. For the stretching part, I think vaseline can only do so much. This stretching pain is not overwhelming for me and is really just mildly uncomfortable. When the stool passes over the fissure... I can only describe this as mind-piercing pain. I think the vaseline lubricates and acts as a barrier. I also believe it prevents me from ripping open my fissure with every BM which I have been doing for around 2 years now! Anyway, I hope I can rack up a bunch of good days like this and maybe have some healing. Thanks!!
J
J-Fissure
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby J-Fissure » 12 Apr 2013, 13:35

A somewhat disappointing (worthless) appointment with Dr. Sentovich. Suggested colonoscopy to check for crohn's. (I don't have ANY symptoms besides the fissure). Actually scheduled for Tuesday because they had a cancellation. I don't necessarily mind doing it, just seems like a big waste of time.
4/12/13 Appointment with Dr. Sentovich. Met with PA (Erin). I think I overtold my sob story and explained frustration. May have gotten off on the wrong foot?? Not sure. (They ask “how do you know you have a fissure”? What a frustrating question... I have a fissure. I need pictures of it for my next appointment.) Examined by Sentovich. Possible (small) fistula posterior. Noted “ulcer” anterior. Suggested (& scheduled) colonoscopy to check for crohn’s disease. Overall: They were very nice. However, Sentovich is extremely busy and most likely will not be a good choice to continue Tx with. My initial thought is having a colonoscopy is ridiculous but now that it has been brought up, makes me slightly nervous. Even if crohn’s is diagnosed... there is no Tx!!! Also, PA had shifty eyes!! WTF look me in the eye!
J-Fissure
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 14 Apr 2013, 17:29

You said they found 'possible small fistula' so this is possibly the reason for the colonoscopy, but seems overkill. Yes, hate the shifty eyes! Never trust people that do that. Fissure being at the anterior (or posterior) position sounds like an "ordinary" one, while any other position possibly suggests Crohn's, I believe...you probably know that yourself. When they said 'ulcer' were they suggesting a rectal ulcer? I had this guess at my first appointment at Mass General but did not materialize during sig. Good luck with the colonoscopy. I refused one and only had a sigmoidoscopy. I'm stubborn and argued for it. Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby J-Fissure » 14 Apr 2013, 18:00

I cancelled the colonoscopy. Doesn't make any sense to me. The real problem is at the opening!
Today I had a bit of a setback and had a pretty uncomfortable and painful BM. It would have been worse without vaseline -- I can tell you that. Really really sore and uncomfortable. Somehow, I'm actually not that agitated, but this problem is ruining my life.
J-Fissure
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 14 Apr 2013, 18:05

Always good to get a second opinion. Did you see my edit, where I mentioned a rectal ulcer?
Savaici
Administrator

Postby J-Fissure » 14 Apr 2013, 19:21

Savaici wrote:Always good to get a second opinion. Did you see my edit, where I mentioned a rectal ulcer?

Hi Savaici. I have to admit I've never heard of solitary rectal ulcer before. I really really don't think he was referring to this. He only mentioned that the anal fissure is an ulcer. Unfortunately, I know right where the ulcer/fissure is... I'm reminded of it every BM...
J-Fissure
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 15 Apr 2013, 08:30

I have just had two days from hell, so even when you think things are going well, wham...you are reminded. So, know where you are.
Savaici
Administrator

Postby J-Fissure » 17 Apr 2013, 11:31

Had a bad day on the 15th and decided that I would go buy and try miralax. The last two days have been great. Really nice soft stools. Maybe I can rack up a bunch of good days in a row like this. I have another appointment with a CRS next week.
J-Fissure
Fibre Addict

Postby J-Fissure » 20 Apr 2013, 08:33

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_stool_scale
What is a soft stool? Well for me its a type 4. I've been having type 3 all my life, but I've been able to change this to type 4 simply by adding Miralax before bedtime. (With no other diet change.) You'll have to see what works for you!
Other than that... use vaseline before your BM.
J
J-Fissure
Fibre Addict

Postby Peppermint Patty » 23 Apr 2013, 09:19

Hi, J! Great chart! I, too, was having type 3 and often type 1 for my whole life (hence the lovely fissure that developed), but ever since my crs recommended Miralax I've been experiencing type 4 also. What a world of difference! No more screaming in the bathroom! I've also added more fruits, veggies and lots of water to my diet, but Miralax was definitely the game-changer for me! Glad it's worked for you, too. Best wishes for continued healing!!
Peppermint Patty
Fibre Addict