How do Anal Fissures Heal?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: How do Anal Fissures Heal?

Postby jr2 » 18 Apr 2013, 21:59

Luka,
Definitely IBS, potentially Crohn's (but doctors are always puzzled by my tests), endometriosis, and sphincter of Oddi dysfunction (yes, another malfunctioning sphincter that causes terrible daily pain, like having a gallbladder attack every day). All of these cause daily abdominal pain and very frequent, painful, loose, urgent trips to the bathroom. The urgency is the thing that really concerns the surgeons. I have to always be very very close to a bathroom at all times as it is now. There is also the big question of whether surgery would even work for me given how much wear and tear the area has to endure every day.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby owmybum » 19 Apr 2013, 01:40

Luke,
I too get stinging from using the coconut. I have just resigned it to the back of my cupboard now, along with all the other lotions and potions that don't work for me!!!!
ETO..... I could have sent you mine!!
Jr.... Image
OMB xx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Positive Girl » 19 Apr 2013, 05:25

Hi guys, great thread of comments/conversation, thank you as always for your great information.
Can I ask a question: My daughter has just come back from the health store with a product called Higher Nature Organic Coconut butter. It comes in a tub and is hard and white.....is this the same as coconut oil ? the lady in the health shop said it was.........its not a cosmetic cream and it says it a perfect cooking oil.......just want to make sure it's the right product to hopefully give some relief.......been a sufferer on and off for 4 yrs....am so fed up living with this. Thanks so much for your help x
Positive Girl
Fibre Addict

Postby jr2 » 19 Apr 2013, 08:32

Positive Girl,
No, coconut butter is not the same thing as coconut oil. Coconut butter is coconut flesh that has essentially been super pureed and been made into a butter. You will notice on the label that it has a high fiber and high fat content. Coconut oil is the oil only that has been expressed from the coconut. You will notice on the label a high fat content but no fiber. For external use, you want the coconut oil. For eating purposes, coconut oil has many uses, including being able to cook with it since it is stable at higher levels of heat. Coconut butter would probably be yummy to eat on toast, in oatmeal, etc.
jr2

Postby Positive Girl » 19 Apr 2013, 08:46

Oh dear then I have just put the wrong thing "there" !!!! Oh well, no probs so far, maybe I have discovered something......I'll let you know.
But really appreciate you coming back jr2
Positive Girl
Fibre Addict

Postby jr2 » 19 Apr 2013, 09:16

as long as the fibrous material doesn't scratch, it isn't going to do you any harm : )
jr2

Postby richibeno » 19 Apr 2013, 09:32

Hi guys '
Eto can you tell me the brand of coca nut oil you got off Amazon. UK
Thx
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Luka » 19 Apr 2013, 15:13

jr2: I’m sorry to hear about your other conditions. : ( That definitely makes having a fissure more difficult. I really hope you get some relief soon.
owmybum: I knew I wasn’t the only one that got stinging from the coconut oil. Guess I just can’t use it. It stings even more than the Diltiazem ointment. Don’t know why. It just seems to irritate it more and cause more pain, so I stopped using it. Wish it worked for everyone. : ( Guess I will just use it for cooking and moisturizer. I have to say, I do love the smell of it. : ) The scent relaxes me, so I guess it does have some purpose!
richibeno: I know you're asking Ever the Optimist, but the brand of coconut oil I got on Amazon was Nature's Way EfaGold organic coconut oil (pure extra virgin). It comes in a big container.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby Ever the Optimist » 19 Apr 2013, 15:28

Luka & OMB,
That's a shame that you didn't get on well with the Coconut Oil. - No, I don't get any stinging from using it all. I find it wonderfully soothing and it really is helping! I guess there is something else out there for you that could do just as good a job though. It took me ages to finally try it out and I am really happy with it. - OMB, you can still use it for so many other things though. It is a wonderful facial moisturiser and for conditioning hair too as well as its uses in cooking. I'm planning a homemade Chicken Korma with lots of veggies and brown rice!! Thanks for the kind thought though!....
Jnr2 - Interesting you mention endometriosis because that it is something I have also been diagnosed with and had an op a few years ago to get it all lazered along with the removal of ovarian cysts. Do you feel that has an impact on your fissures / urgent BM's ? or is it more a case of another medical condition that means you have been advised to steer away from surgery?? Gosh, you really have had to put up with a LOT and here I am troubled by a not-too bothersome chronic fissure! It really puts things into perspective x
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Ever the Optimist » 19 Apr 2013, 15:32

Rich,
I went for the BIONA Raw Organic Virgin type. I did a lot of research on the oils first and this seemed to come out on top in ratings. It cost me Ј13.20 something for 3 medium sized jars and so far, well worth every penny spent!! :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again