How Soft are Your BMs / Poops?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How Soft are Your BMs / Poops?

Postby Anonymon » 18 Apr 2013, 16:46

The only way I could get by was with complete watery stool, but I don't think everyone needed quite that extreme to help them heal. Or at least avoid a retear while healing.
I'm presently a 7 on the Bristol Stool Scale. Sometimes if I have a little more fiber in a day, I hit a 6, but I'm more comfortable with 7 in the short term. Once I'm healed more in a month I'll be lowering my Milk of Magnesia dose, and I'm wondering how far up the scale the rest of you have been comfortable with at any point in the healing process. Even a 5-6 has opened me up again at my worst.
I'm on my second day of no trace of blood, even on the toilet paper. I'm not getting my hopes up, as I've had setbacks before. But transitioning to a more long term solution has been on my mind lately.
Anonymon
Salt Bather

Topics: 26

Re: How Soft are Your BMs / Poops?

Postby Luka » 18 Apr 2013, 17:57

Mine are usually between 4 and 6 on the Bristol Stool Scale. They are usually very soft and break apart easily. Most of the time, as long as I eat right and drink a lot of water daily, they are a 5 or 6 (kind of fluffy looking, but still solid). I don't take stool softeners since I rarely get constipated and I worry it would just create a liquid mess, making my fissure even more angry.
For myself, 7 would really irritate and sting the area, so I try to avoid that (I developed my fissure partly due to loose stools). But if 7 works for you and doesn't cause pain, then that's good. Everyone is different.
On the other hand, if I eat too much fiber (like too many beans or bran), I tend to get constipated (even with a large intake of water) and get very large stools, so I have to watch my diet carefully to make sure I get a good balance. Soluble fiber seems to work best for me, so that's what I focus on. I eat a lot of pears and broccoli and avoid cheese, white rice, fried foods, and bread. I also drink several bottles of water daily to keep hydrated.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby CrayonOfDarkness » 19 Apr 2013, 14:40

Usually 4 or 6. 4 seems best for me though. Nothing gets stuck that way and it feels like it all comes out and most importantly comes out smoothly without scraping or stalling. I've had to eat a lot more oil to obtain that though. I take Miralax (3 tsp a night with dinner), but that isn't everything and it definitely doesn't make my stool liquid.
CrayonOfDarkness
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Ever the Optimist » 19 Apr 2013, 15:37

LOL! I find it so funny we all refer to the Bristol Stool Scale but it really is so useful!!!
I range between 3-5 but generally seem to produce number 4's, which seem to be the perfect stool for me!!!! x
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby CrayonOfDarkness » 19 Apr 2013, 19:03

Haha, I had actually never heard of it before but I'm glad to hear of it! It's nice to see that there is a scale to refer to and that I finally have a name (or number) for the stool that turns out best. Usually I just think of it as that smooth-not-too-fat-long one.
CrayonOfDarkness
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby bgd » 20 Apr 2013, 10:25

Before my problems started and went on a diet, I would sometimes have all types from 1 to 6 in one stool! That because I would go every third or fourth day only.
Now I'm set on 5, but still get some 6 at the end of the BM which I feel causes more damage, being more acid.
Yesterday though I got something off charts, like an 8, I mean not just watery, but like pure water. It didn't hurt during the BM, but caused lots of irritation.
bgd
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11