Miralax Ever Dehydrate Anyone?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Miralax Ever Dehydrate Anyone?

Postby Anonymon » 23 Apr 2013, 18:50

Milk of Magnesia's my go-to stool softener, but at the amounts I need to take, it's a constant battle with dehydration. It's like from that + being really active and other things all at once, but I drink a lot, and still feel the effects at times. Summer's coming, and it's getting warmer, and I'm needing to drink even more, which I don't know if I can keep up with as it mainly hits me at night.
Has Miralax, at any amount, ever done that for anyone here? And has anyone gotten a stool to the point of almost liquid with it? I know it and Milk of Magnesia are both osmotic laxatives, but they work a little differently. Milk of Magnesia can dehydrate me chemically as well as on needs for water, so I'm hoping something else at one point won't.
Anonymon
Salt Bather

Topics: 26

Re: Miralax Ever Dehydrate Anyone?

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 23 Apr 2013, 19:53

I have never taken MOM, but I have taken Miralax for over a year. However, I recently stopped taking it because it was making my stool too soft. I still take fiber supplements, and drink lots of water. I never experienced any dehydration with Miralax. I usually took a full dose with breakfast mixed with 12 ounces of liquid. It really does work - sometimes too well!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby guiness » 27 Apr 2013, 05:43

I got dehydrated with colace, made wicked headaches, but life has been a breeze with miralax. Drink lots of water 3 to 4 liters per day.
guiness
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby jr2 » 28 Apr 2013, 11:08

It's possible with any osmotic to experience dehydration if you aren't keeping up with fluids, especially in the summer heat. But in addition to replacing just the fluid, it's important to keep a proper balance of electrolytes. Too much water can actually be counterproductive. With a lot of perspiration and hotter weather, incorporating electrolyte type beverages or coconut water into your diet could be a help.
jr2

Topics: 15