Soluble vs nonsoluble fiber- what does it all mean?!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Soluble vs nonsoluble fiber- what does it all mean?!

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 28 Apr 2013, 08:28

Hey guys,
Silly question: what's the difference between soluble and nonsoluble fiber? I have LIS tomorrow and was wondering if there is one type I'll need to stay away from.
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Soluble vs nonsoluble fiber- what does it all mean?!

Postby Savaici » 28 Apr 2013, 10:28

Good luck with your surgery!
Here is a link to information, on the part of the Forum named References, Websites, Facts on the subject you are asking about:
http://anal-fissure.org/t5380-fiber-insoluble-soluble?highlight=soluble
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 28 Apr 2013, 11:44

Thanks so much! I'll be sure to let you guys know how surgery and recovery go! Hoping that there's light at the end of this tunnel!
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Postby Miss K » 28 Apr 2013, 15:08

Yeah I really struggle with this soluble/insoluble fibre thing... Never have any idea what to do as most doctors say 'eat lots and lots of fibre!' but for me bulky stool is the last thing I want when going to the bathroom every day, and I'm in process of figuring out if part of my problem is a wheat intolerance.. So I personally weigh far more towards soluble than insoluble, but I think it does make you less regular and it's harder to plan meals around.
Does anyone out there use products with alternative flours like spelt or kamut in their breads/pastas/cereals, and is this the same as getting fibre from whole wheat?
Miss K
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 28 Apr 2013, 15:26

Now that I've read up on the two, I know exactly what you mean! I'm like clockwork every day- the problem for me is hard stool. Over the past month, I've increased fiber intake all around (with lots of water), but even with the water, prune juice, stool softeners, etc, my stool is still too hard for comfort (sorry for all the TMI!). I'm wondering if nonsoluble fiber is the culprit. Post-op I'm going to focus on the soluble and see if that helps! As for you: naive question.. How do you know if you have a wheat or gluten allergy? I guess I've never really known what that entails or if I fit the bill.
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Postby galamat » 28 Apr 2013, 22:19

Hi Ceeteefeebs
YES! Insoluble fiber might the culprit of the hard stools. In my case it is. It took me a while to figure it out, but I have made a diary of all the foods that I eat, so when I get a hard stool I know what is the cause.
In my list I found that the black beans, the lentils, or anything that has too much insoluble fiber, get the stools hard enough to make me re-tear.
Try to eat soluble fiber, keep drinking a lot of water and hopefully the stools will be softer.
Everybody is different, try to find the foods that are good and bad for you.
galamat
Salt Bather

Topics: 6