Do spasms ever stop or go away??

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Do spasms ever stop or go away??

Postby Kreaybutt » 14 May 2013, 09:02

Sorry for so many questions but I'm really getting depressed about this situation and don't know what to do anymore. Last time I had a fissure, 5 months ago it went away within 5 days. No spasms no blood and I thought I was all healed. Now my BM's are so off, I've lost almost 20 lbs and am having very uncomfortable spasms. It's like a pressure of something trying to come out but there's nothing there. Is this normal? I massage the muscle with nifedipine and it calms down and "opens" more but then goes back to spasms every few minutes. What else can I do?? Please help
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 30

Re: Do spasms ever stop or go away??

Postby Guest » 14 May 2013, 10:31

You could press a little under your tail bone and that should stop or prevent contraction. Spasms do not stop or go away. If they stop then another serious problem of incontinence will arise. You will never to able to control your gas or your stools. Anyway, back to the subject. To avoid spasm, do sitz bath (10 minutes only in Epsom Salt. (This salt has magnesium and thus will allow to relax muscles). But remember to wash off the salt after every stiz bath. Sitz is better after every BM. Have magnesium supplement after doing a magnesium blood test. (Cost $30 - 40). Reduce your calcium and protein intake. Avoid sitting for longer periods. Brisk walk helps to keep the stools soft. Apply A&D ointment. Drink warm water. Remember your diet is your only rescue. Sometimes hormones are the culprit. But miralax for three days can bring back your BMs to normal. Just see that you don't hold tight while you go. Take short deep breath and count till 10. Tightening your spincture muscle will aggravate the fissure even though your stools are soft. Fissure can get aggravated just by contraction. Imagine a cut on your hand. It will bleed just with simple pressure when not healed completely. So take care of your diet. Count your fiber intake. Take lots of food that has Vitamin C, A, E, D and magnesium. Calcium contracts muscles while magnesium relaxes. Have 2 tbspn of olive oil (cold compressed and organic) with lunch and dinner. Your stools will be soft and buttery.

Postby Guest » 14 May 2013, 16:57

Now my BM's are so off

Per my other thread to you, spasm and bm go hand in hand, eating regularly and cutting back on snacking may help things. This may also help you become more regular
Try it and see, you can always revert back if you see no improvements.
Some people are just terribly more prone to spasm than others, I now its a nightmare on how to stop them, but do all in your power you can whether by creams, baths, or less BMing.
update: i just caught your original post....
I feel like I eat alot of fiber but my BM'S are so big and bulky, only in the mornings though. What gives?

Fiber is good, but the wrong type can create bulk as you may have heard. But Fiber - exercising can also make your bm's bulk up inside ya.
BMing, spasms, loving to eat; everyone here will tell you the less you go the better chances of healing and stopping spasm
GL HTH
Last edited by Guest on 14 May 2013, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Kreaybutt » 14 May 2013, 17:08

Buttastic, what is A&D cream and what does it do? I'm actually really regular, I go every single day twice a day at pretty much the same time but sometimes 3 times if the second one doesn't finish "/ also, how do I not tighten my muscle when going? I feel like it happens by itself, maybe I just need to relax more?
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 30

Postby Guest » 14 May 2013, 17:31

A+D ointment (brand name) is a cream that has vitamin A & D, and its used to treat rashes an other skin problems. I have never used it myself though.
Pushing less seems to help many people here and as you say, relaxing helps you not to push as much, provoking another spasm.
I have not had the dreaded prolonged spasm as you seem to be experiencing so I will defer my answers to more experienced sufferers that dealt with spasm while on the loo.
HTH GL
P.S. specs on A+D ointment
http://www.drugstore.com/ad-original-ointment-diaper-rash-and-all-purpose-skincare-formula/qxp13119