Wrong scarring

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Wrong scarring

Postby bgd » 24 May 2013, 11:19

On my previous check-up 2 weeks ago, my doctor said I achieved a great deal of healing, however the fissure scarred in a fold which might produce a fistula. So he basically wants to cut it open by ultrasound cauterization. Freaks me out, I'm afraid it will set me back another month. Does it make sense?
bgd
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Re: Wrong scarring

Postby Ever the Optimist » 24 May 2013, 13:26

Hi BGD,
This kind of makes sense to me since a fistula is a small abnormal channel, which forms under the skin and produces an opening as pus gathers inside and forces it's way to the surface. I'm guessing if the fold in the scar tissue becomes infected at all by moisture and debris etc. that could potentially build up inside it, it could produce the same thing. My fistula was formed by an abscess which then produced the fistular tract and sinus (opening) and then a regular cycle occured whereby the fistula would become reinfected and fill with pus and make it's way out of the opening only to build back up again and so on.....A fistula tract will take it's own course and where the most reach the surface to drain (superficial fistulae), some burrow deeper into the anal area and through the internal sphincter causing more complicated fistulae. This is why you need to get them surgically treated and drained and why your CRS will want to avoid this.
Ultrasound cauterization will literally "cut" out the fold in the scar material using high intensity electro-magnetic waves to avoid the possibility of fistula formation. I really don't know what the side effects are as a result of this process but from what I researched, it minimalises the side effects of any major bleeding as a standard scalpel-type incision into the area is not necessary.
I think it's really important to ask lots more questions about the process involved and to advise of any concerns you might have & side effects. I would also be really interested to find out more about this as you do!
All the best with this.......Keep updating.
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 25 May 2013, 21:15

BGD- did you CRS discover this during a sigmoidoscopy?
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Postby bgd » 22 Jun 2013, 19:15

No, just a regular visual checkup on the fissure.
bgd
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby muzgut22 » 23 Jun 2013, 11:02

BGD, have you had any symptoms or indications that you weren't scarring properly? I have been pain free for a month but am extremely paranoid thatI have not healed "correctly" (for really no reason). So I was wondering if this is the case, would I have anyindication of it?
muzgut22
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby marg6043 » 23 Jun 2013, 21:10

bgd, soo sorry that you are having a set back due to scarring, but you have to do the recommendations that the doctor is giving to you in order to avoid  more trouble in the future. it makes sense due to the problem with the scarring.
I hope the procedure goes well and that the recovery be easy and fast.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby bgd » 25 Jun 2013, 01:19

I haven't had any indication or symptom that it wasn't scarring properly. I had no idea basically. There was a difference after the 2nd cauterization though. I somehow felt my anal opening wider and more relaxed. The procedure went well.
bgd
Proctosphincteranalogist