Tips to stop itching

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Tips to stop itching

Postby ravians » 29 May 2013, 01:13

my crs told to use mild soap that doesn't dry up ur butt n then dry it completely. usually when I itch I use hand held shower to wash or u can say flush it with water for a while n then it usually goes away.
keeping ur butt dry using any sofft cloth between butt can also b helpful.
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Guest » 29 May 2013, 05:50

Well, before my surgery, a sitz bath of 30 minutes with epsom salt (10 mts) would stop the itch at least 4-6 hours depending on the elimination. Surprisingly, when the elimination was good, the itch would be the only annoying thing down there. Also, the itchy feeling would come back after few hours and all I had to do, was to wash the area and feel good again. In the beginning, after digging the net, I thought that the reason could have been developing hemorrhoids. However, flexi-sigmoidscopy cleared the doubt. My fissure tear was very long and no hydrocortizone cream or suppository would target it for the necessary healing.
I used vaseline only to lubricate the hydrocortizone tube tips or suppositories. Never used it directly on the skin.
I did try corn starch and cotton ball after the surgery. It just made the pain worse. These tricks use to make me recover faster before the surgery, but surprisingly had adverse effects, after the surgery. I think, the LIS or a fissurectomy surgery makes the area, particularly under the tailbone, very sore.
I started using A&D much later after my fissurectomy surgery. It was on this forum that I read someone using it and having a "speedy" (two weeks) recovery. How does it feel? Well, it gives a very cooling effect which I never got from my prescription creams. I used it to keep the sweat off, coz... strangely speaking, after the surgery the cheeks have come very close (the word "tight" would fit better) together, thereby, making perspiration as my number one issue. The ointment helped me with that. Also, the ingredients Vitamin A & D repaired my skin, which too became my priority after the surgery. Using prescription creams for a year to heal my fissure, did a lot of damage to my skin down there.
Right now, two months after botox and fissurectomy, I am down to only three. 1) a daily intake of 2 tbspn of olive oil with meals. 2) Magnesium supplement 250 mg at night 3) occasional application of A&D. The first two are helping in lubricating and softening the BMs, which I think are the main causes of fissure if not done effectively. The third one is helping to get my skin texture back.

Postby Vin » 02 Jun 2013, 17:43

I saw a dermatologist for my itching which was awful and debilitating. He prescribed me a corticosteroid cream and advised me to clean with slightly moistened TP and a lotion or Balneol. My symptoms began to improve in 24 hours and were night and day in a week. You can't stay on the steroid cause it thins the skin over time but if it works for you than you won't need to. ,this is the only and I mean only thing that worked for me. I highly reccomend you see a dermo if you have not yet found a solution. Best of luck!
Vin
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 03 Jun 2013, 07:37

You've given me so many wonderful ideas- thank you!!! I tried Palmer's coconut oil for a couple days, but I developed a rash all over my bum! Anyone else get that??? So it's back to the drawing board for me. I am accumulating an enviable supply of buttcare products. :p
Suzy: are your stitches supposed to fall out as you heal? Growing up, one of my close friends cracked open her skull and got stitches that were like staples. As the skull healed, they popped out one by one. I hope this is the case for you, too! I'm lucky to have limited experience with stitches. They are pretty awful!
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 03 Jun 2013, 13:32

After trying just about everything, here's what finally worked for me: after a BM, do NOT use toilet paper or wipes. Immediately hop in the shower and clean off with a mild soap (I use Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo). It helps to have a detachable shower head. After the shower, dry off your butt with a blow dryer on the COOL setting. After that, use Extra Strength Desitin (40% zinc oxide). The regular strength (16% zinc oxide) wasn't strong enough for me. That was the key - switching to the Extra Strength Desitin.
It worked for me. Hopefully it will work for you!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby sadies-day » 04 Jun 2013, 18:40

I had LIS 11 months ago and still suffer from a similar problem. I believe the itching is from residual stool. Any irritation from too much wiping or a small nick (not a fissure) from something you ate (popcorn, chips, crackers, crusty bread) exasperates the problem. Things that have worked for me include cutting back on coffee, increasing water intake, increasing fiber intake significantly (decreases leakage, makes BMs less messy), using some personal lubricant on the area before a BM (and using it on the TP to make wiping easier afterwards), balneol lotion (although the personal lubricant is much cheaper), coconut oil, and calmoseptine cream (works as a barrier). Unfortunately, I feel this is the new norm for me. Best of luck...
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 04 Jun 2013, 21:45

Great- thanks! I just ordered some extra strength Desitin from Amazon. I've confirmed through trial-and-error that Palmer's coconut oil makes me break out in a rash (as if an AF wasn't bad enough, right?!). Other folks with sensitive skin should test out the coconut oil on a less sensitive spot before applying down yonder! I think you're right, Sadies-day. Wiping definitely seems to aggravate things.
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Topics: 11