How did magnesium work for you?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: How did magnesium work for you?

Postby Kreaybutt » 11 Jun 2013, 22:52

Hey mabs- So my stools are typically a 4 but like once a week they come out harder and less well formed. Like today, I was so scared of a re-tear. I do eat lots of cooked veggies, hopefully it works as well for me as it has for you! Thanks again for all the info!
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 30

Postby Guest » 12 Jun 2013, 07:55

Hey.. please check your PM.  Looks like I am having problem in sending you one.  My last two seem to have lost in cyberspace   hahahha

Postby Kreaybutt » 12 Jun 2013, 13:17

Sorry for the dumb question but what is PM? lol I'm still getting used to this site
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 12 Jun 2013, 16:51

"Private Message".
Top right corner next to profile should show "You have ___ messages".  Maybe my last message got lost again and that's why you are not able to see it.

Postby Kreaybutt » 12 Jun 2013, 18:57

I just Checked my messages and had none!
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 12 Jun 2013, 21:13

Kreaybutt wrote:Hey mabs- So my stools are typically a 4 but like once a week they come out harder and less well formed. Like today, I was so scared of a re-tear. I do eat lots of cooked veggies, hopefully it works as well for me as it has for you! Thanks again for all the info!

Your BM at 4 is excellent.  It means your diet is absolutely under super control.  I think it is safe to stop Miralax and start with Magnesium.  Mine was 4 too when I started taking the Magnesium supplement.

Well, I was trying to send you a PM because the following info was not related to the thread on "Magnesium".  Anyway, I couldn't succeed and so finally decided to post this on the thread.

... You talked about "sometimes not passing well-formed stools".  I think it might be because of missing enzymes.  Try soaking grains (brown rice/legumes/lentils) before cooking them.  I[font=Calibri]t "encourage the production of beneficial enzymes"
You may read more at (http://foodmatters.tv/articles-1/the-benefits-of-soaking-nuts-and-seeds).
[/font]Overall, I think you are doing absolutely fine.  Take loads of care..  Shall pray for your good health !

Postby Kreaybutt » 12 Jun 2013, 21:37

Mabs-I thought I was doing fine, read my last thread :( I just want to curl up in a ball and never move again
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Kreaybutt » 23 Jun 2013, 13:16

Ok, I've been too scared to get off of mirilax but it's not working that well anymore for me. Everyday for the past few months I go twice every single morning. Today only once. I'm freaking out! Has this happened to anyone and was your BM ok the next morning? I honestly think the mirilax is stripping me of nutrients and weight also. Could it be? I look deathly sick and have lost SO much weight. I eat well and very often. I also eat a lot of good fats and sometimes naughty fats. This has given me the kick in the butt to finally get off mirilax. My question, I've read that y'all's morning BM is perfect taking magnesium but what about your second one? Is it as easy and soft to pass? Does magnesium make you regular also. I feel like you guys know more about these things than my doctors. lol but really, thank you! Hope everyone is having a pain free and blessed Sunday!
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 23 Jun 2013, 15:10

Hi Kreaybutt,
If you're eating all the right things, lots of fruits and veggies and lots of fluids, adequate fibre etc, unless you have major bowel issues or a very painful fissure, technically you shouldn't need to take a stool softener anyway.
I doubt very much the Miralax is the cause of your weight loss - I think far more likely it's the stress of the situation. Once you start to feel better and heal, you should find you start putting a little of that lost weight back on again as you start to discover it is safe to eat!
Magnesium + all the above dietary tips will ensure you soft, easy to pass BM's, both the first and second of the day. In my case, it does and I've noticed a big change since taking it.
The fact you are stressing that you've not had a second BM indicates to me that you are still very stressed out and that really doesn't help! Don't start worrying that because you've not had that second BM that things are going to come out harder or you're constipated because you're probably just not ready to have that BM yet!
Take a deep breath and trust your body that it will expel when it needs to. I have been there feeling exactly the same as you, panicking that because I "missed" a BM that I have become constipated etc (worrying about what will happen if that's the case) and each time, I've put undue stress on myself through worry and things have been just fine.........
Please don't worry - you will be fine!! :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Guest » 23 Jun 2013, 17:19

Polyethylene Glycol is used either for short-term period or long-term period.  When it is used on a long term basis, the word "periodically" should be noted as follows.

"Miralax can be used periodically long-term. It should only be used for 14 days with a 2-4 week period of abstinence between use" [url=http://web.pdx.edu/~sujata/FruitEze/education/laxativ[color:307c=54126A]]http://web.pdx.edu/~sujata/FruitEze/education/laxativ[color:307c=54126A][/url]e/medical_warnings.html

This is why I was desperately looking for an alternative, after the surgery.  Yes, I too was losing weight incredibly before the surgery, probably due to Miralax.  Miralax may be a stool softener, but it is also a laxative, therefore, should be handled with caution.

Now to answer your question "I've read that y'all's morning ... also".  Magnesium Oxide is not only a stool softener, but also a muscle relaxer.  I have no idea about its laxative effect on the stomach.  However, if your worries are related to your second BM, then please take magnesium in between your meals, instead of bedtime.  Also, your evening meals should not be heavy.  By heavy, I mean NO red meat, ice-cream, cheese and chips".  Yeah.. chips... I failed to skip chips during my ordeal.  Had to learn the hard way.
Try eating your last meal by 7 pm and continue with plain water until bedtime.  I think this should help.
In case you are worried about tomorrow's BM, then go ahead and take one Magnesium pill.  Worrying a lot depletes magnesium. 
"Chronic stress depletes your body of magnesium. The more stressed you are, the greater the loss of magnesium"  http://www.healthy.net/Health/Essay/Magnesium_The_Stress_Reliever/74
So I think, taking a pill tonight should even out your magnesium loss for today and supposedly not cause any overdose Image.   I leave the decision to you. 
Good Luck !