How did magnesium work for you?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: How did magnesium work for you?

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 22 Aug 2013, 15:27

Kreaybutt
I buy Olympic Organic Probiotic (I'm in Canada, don't know if it'd be available elsewhere.)
Not all yogurts are created equal- all you need to look for are "active bacterial culture" in the ingredients. The bacteria culture that is best for the colon are: lactobacillus and bifidobacteria. My particular yogurt lists these as well as several other active bacterias, but not all yogurts will have as many or list them specifically. If they don't list them, check on the product's website to verify.
I'm planning to make my own yogurt using Olympic brand yogurt as a starter. It'll be cheaper since we eat so much of it.
This site has some information specific to probiotics effect in the intestines http://www.powerofprobiotics.com/Probiotics-for-constipation.html
After using Miralax, laxatives, (maybe even magnesium too) they can cause damage to your intestinal flora, so its super important to replace it with good probiotics.
I can certainly understand the changes pregnancy and birth put your body through! I think it was my 2nd babe that caused me on-going fissure issues.
But ya, pay lots of attention to when you think you 'might' be able to go at other times of the day, and before bed, and see if you can (without pushing of course). Like I said, I squat (since sitting on the toilet for long periods of time isn't recommended) for about 10 minutes every evening before bed, (sometimes without an urge) and usually my body responds to that action and getting into the habit of an extra BM.
I say a Hail Mary when I poo.
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Topics: 17

Postby Please go-away! » 22 Aug 2013, 18:55

Hi Kreaybutt, I couldn't agree more with notmuchfunanymore, I take a liquid Kinda cherry flavoured Magnesium, recommended by my Gastrologist easier on the colon, to be taken at dinner time.
None the less I still have to take a good Probiatic as well.
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Postby rw76 » 20 Sep 2013, 12:02

I use natural calm magesium citrate from the health food store. I take 1 1/2 teaspoons at night and 1 in the am. It has so far helped me have really soft BM Bristol 5-6. I am a bit weary of miralax so I wanted something natural that would still work. If I have to use Miralax then I will but so far so good with the Magnesium.
rw76
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Postby Deleted User 2176 » 03 Oct 2013, 06:05

After years of daily MOM use and frequent tears and bleeding, I finally got up enough courage to try Calm magnesium and it's working wonderfully! I take one heaping teaspoon in 16 oz of water before bed and that does the trick creating toothpaste (or softer) consistency stool. And as an added benefit I can now eat a few of my previously problem foods - bread, yogurt - with no hard stool.
Even with MOM, my problem was always the first piece of stool which was usually dry and hard and caused the damage. With the Calm magnesium I no longer have that problem. Life is good!
Deleted User 2176

Postby Ever the Optimist » 03 Oct 2013, 16:18

Great news SueBoo!!
I don't use the Calm magnesium but take a regular 300mg capsule every evening and I have to say I never looked back! I'd even go as far to say that it was better than the Lactulose I was taking as a Stool Softener. Touch wood, I never have hard stools these days but I do credit that to the amount of fluids I also drink these days!
It's great when life is good!!.........:)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby howtobepositive » 10 Oct 2013, 16:44

Guest wrote:I thought this would help in knowing the different forms of Magnesium better.... The excerpt is from the following website:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/17/magnesium-benefits.aspx

Magnesium glycinate
is a chelated form of magnesium
that tends to provide the highest levels of absorption and
bioavailability and is typically considered ideal for those who are
trying to correct a deficiency
Magnesium chloride / Magnesium lactate contain only 12 percent
magnesium, but has better absorption than others, such as magnesium
oxide, which contains five times more magnesium
Magnesium carbonate, which has antacid properties,contains 45 percent magnesium
Magnesium citrate is magnesium with citric acid, which has laxative properties
Magnesium oxide is a non-chelated type of magnesium, bound to an organic
acid or a fatty acid. Contains 60 percent magnesium, and has stool
softening properties
Magnesium sulfate / Magnesium hydroxide (milk of magnesia) are typically used as a laxative. Be aware that it's easy to overdose on these, so ONLY take as directed
Magnesium taurate contains a combination of magnesium and taurine, an
amino acid. Together, they tend to provide a calming effect on your body
and mind
Magnesium threonate is a newer, emerging type of magnesium supplement
that appears promising, primarily due to its superior ability to
penetrate the mitochondrial membrane, and may be the best
magnesium supplement on the market

So which one do you guys think is the best?? The one I have been taking is Magnesium Bisglycinate which I think is the same as [b]Magnesium glycinate [/b]above[b].[/b]
howtobepositive
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Postby rw76 » 11 Oct 2013, 10:50

When I researched I concluded the best was Magnesium Citrate - I prefer the brand Natural Calm.
rw76
Salt Bather

Postby howtobepositive » 11 Oct 2013, 15:29

I saw that brand at the local pharmacy but the staff there recommended the Glycinate saying that is the best absorbed by the body so I went for it.....
howtobepositive
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Postby rw76 » 11 Oct 2013, 15:34

Howtobepositive- that is a good choice if you are trying to correct a deficiency - but for laxative purposes I would stick with the magnesium citrate if I were you. Also it will take care of a deficiency.
rw76
Salt Bather