How did magnesium work for you?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How did magnesium work for you?

Postby Kreaybutt » 05 Jun 2013, 20:10

I've been using Miralax and I thought it really worked but every few days I'm getting diarreah (not really sure of what dose works for me) so I think I want to ween off of it for good. If you've taken magnesium which one do you take? Does it work as a stool softener and do you have consistent soft stools? Are they bulky? lol sorry for the questions I just want to feel confident about magnesium if I get off of Miralax. Thanks for any help!
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 30

Re: How did magnesium work for you?

Postby marg6043 » 05 Jun 2013, 20:55

Kreaybutt hi there, I never used Miralax before as my problem with fissures is due to diarrhea.
But I have taken metamucil and it does bulks me up, yes is softer but bulkier and no good for the fissure.
Now I have taken magnesium as a supplement and it does gives me watery diarrhea but that is because I always have stomach problems, it made work different for you.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Guest » 06 Jun 2013, 07:49

Very good question.
I started taking a Magnesium supplement after a blood test. My blood test revealed 4.2 (Reference Range 4.0 - 6.4 mg/dL). I was right there but not quite ! So I started taking the Nature Made Brand 250 mg. I think this brand has the lowest dose.
Suggested dose on the bottle says "one tablet daily with a meal". I took one after dinner.
Ingredients : Magnesium Oxide, Cellulosa Gel, Crosccamellose Sodium, Magnesium Stearate, Silicon Dioxide, Stearic Acid.
This, to me has been a blessing. Have stopped everything else. Eating normal food and have gotten that "sunny life" back.
PS : Do not go for a blood test if you are taking vitamins daily. You may have to quit for a week and then proceed for a Magnesium blood test.

Postby Kreaybutt » 06 Jun 2013, 08:33

Thanks so much mabs! That gives me hope. I think I may be needing more magnesium anyways as I'm ALWAYS craving chocolate. It's worth a try! :)
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Kreaybutt » 06 Jun 2013, 08:37

Mabs- did you ween off of a stool softener or just one night take the magnesium by itself?
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 06 Jun 2013, 12:04

Hi Kreaybutt,
I've also been taking Magnesium now for just over two weeks and I'm extremely happy with it! I believe it was after reading Mabs comments previously re a Chocolate V Fissure issue that I took the plunge and made the decision to give it a go! (Thanks Mabs :) ) I haven't had a test but based on my own calculations on Magnesium rich foods and my own diet, I figured that similarly to Mabs, I was probably kind of reaching my RDA but not quite, so I'm giving it a go! I also started taking it because I have such bad chocolate cravings (unfortunately, I still do, even with taking the Magnesium now - Figure, I just love my chocolate too much!.......)
I literally took myself off Lactulose once I'd finished the bottle and started on one Magnesium tablet per day (300mg) I take it every evening before bed and I think my stools are actually better now than when I was taking the stool softener. My morning BM is a dream, if anything softer than before and the afternoon BM that I always struggled to pass quite so easily, has not been an issue. I'm very happy with the effects of the Magnesium and it works for me. On saying that I still maintain the same sensible eating pattern I developed due to the fissure and lots of fluid intake too :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Guest » 06 Jun 2013, 12:08

Been using magnesium for 2 years now, its the only thing that saved me. I woul dsay it works better then mirilax, in the beggining you may have stomach cramps if you take it on a empty stomach. try taking it with food in the begginging .

Postby Guest » 06 Jun 2013, 20:04

Yay ! I am so glad to hear that. Kreaybutt, yes, I did wean off Miralax.... took five days to completely stop taking it. In the meantime, the test result was back and I was able to find a brand that sold the lowest dosage.

Postby saintkilledher » 06 Jun 2013, 20:20

well this is my opinion that supplements can be tricky because they can im balance other minerals in the body and theres a biggy do they really work as they are synthetic and why does the urine go bright yellow pretty much rite after you take them...i just eat more nutritious food....but thats just me.
saintkilledher
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby Kreaybutt » 06 Jun 2013, 22:52

Saintkilledher- I eat nutritious food already. I eat quite healthy and a lot. It's worth a try for me.
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist