LIS tomorrow morning

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS tomorrow morning

Postby momof7 » 06 Jun 2013, 07:38

So, tomorrow is surgery. Think I'll be the doc's first patient.
Surgery became an option for me when I realized that my hemorrhoid pain was really anal spasms. That led to reading the boards here. So, I concluded I had a fissure the night before I saw my general doc. She Rx'ed an abdominal relaxant (Levsin). Did nothing. All the home remedies in the world were not helping, so I made an appt with a CRS. He did only a quick visual exam, said an internal would be cruel. He Rx'ed nifedipine/lidocaine which helped a little. I met with him again after a HORRIBLE day/night of spasms (not twinges, the burning, razor blade slicing kind). We had already discussed botox vs. LIS and the THD procedure for hemmies vs. traditional hem'ectomy. (I get so tired of spelling that long hideous word. Image ) So, I knew I needed LIS, and if I have to go through the torture, I might as well get the rhoids taken care of.
He had advised that not treating my rhoids could result in circumferential rhoids that could become inoperable, per se.
So, I'll be having Exam under Anesthesia, LIS, hem'ectomy (I'm expecting 2-4 incisions with stitches), and a colonoscopy. He may treat some internal ones as well, but he was honest enough to say that in reality he could only take care of the worst ones. I imagine I will always have to count fiber and take supplements.
I would be terrified of the general anesthesia, except I'm more concerned about the pain after surgery. I shouldn't hurt for the first day (Lots of local in conjunction with the general). I picked up my RX's this morning. Headed out to run errands. Plan to put a bookshelf beside the tub, and my computer in me bedroom (for watching netflix if I'm up to it). I've read a great post that has been referred to on these boards about healing after surgery, so I feel informed and ahead of the game. Today also includes making homemade instant oatmeal. Yesterday included buying soups, multigrain bread, high-fiber fruit bars, jello, broth, canned fruit, applesauce, frozen fruit and yogurt for smoothies. Today is clear liquid diet. The only thing I'm looking forward to is the Lime Italian Ice.
I will have valium 5mg. up to 3x a day (which I currently take as needed--has helped so very much with the spasms) and percocet 5mg/325mg at 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hrs as needed. I plan to prepackage all my meds in little pouches. I will have to keep them in a safe because my husband has been addicted to narcotics. I will try to update every few days.
My first anal issues came with my second childbirth. My midwife was encouraging strong pushing when i wasn't having a contraction. DUH. But I was young...and "obeyed." (I hate that American puncturation requires the period before the quotation mark!!) I had very swollen rhoids the next day. I got a foam steroid and creams. They helped. Fast forward to my fifth pregnancy. I had had rhoids off and on, but never badly, until then. I felt like like someone blew up the skin around the anus like a balloon and tied a knot in it. Nothing helped. I would lie in the tub, get my bottom as close to the faucet as possible and get the water as hot as my thighs could take. After about 6 weeks it seemed to clear up except the small rhoids. A surgeon looked at them while I was pregnant and said that on a scale of 1-10 I was only a 4, so he wouldn't do anything. my OBGYN gave me hurricaine gel (20% benzocaine) which wasn't available readily at the time. Oragel was only 10% back then. Anyway...cherry flavored oral pain relief on my bum. Ha. But it helped some.
This fissure happened during an episode of terrible constipation. Someone had suggested sitting very upright. DON'T EVER DO THAT! Yes, I know I'm yelling. I felt the tear when it happened, but didn't know about fissures. Plus, the rhoids were gruesome. Anyway...one day I will try to condense all the info and get it concise for others. I will be so glad to finally share a success story.
If You are seeing a CRS for your fissure, please ask them to get in touch with Total Pain Solutions specialty compounding pharmacy. This cream has been a life saver for me. It has allowed me to continue driving the school bus. I have one more route to go, today is the last day before summer break, and surgery is tomorrow. ha ha. I must admit, it has stolen the joy out of the last week of school for me. If I had gotten this cream at the VERY beginning of my pain/spasm cycle I think I would have healed.
But I have peace. I know it will get worse before it gets better. But I talked with another driver who had the same thing done ten years ago. She said it was the most painful thing she'd ever experienced, but it was the BEST decision she had ever made. She does not regret it and has had no more troubles since. I hope I will be able to say the same.
I will ask my CRS about dilation after surgery to prevent stenosis. The nurse I saw this morning said they keep some in the office, just to ask the doc. I will also be asking about enemas. Because of my bus routes and the spasms that occur if stool is left in the rectum, after a bm I have been "irrigating" with a home enema/douche/hot water bottle. It has helped so much.
I had been so preoccupied with my bum, it was wonderful to finally be pain free. I still had discomfort. The pain returned a few days ago, but has been manageable. I may have gotten another fissure or just a furious rhoid. So, tomorrow I will get some answers about what really is going on in there. :roll:
Y'all try to have a great day.
I
momof7
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Re: LIS tomorrow morning

Postby momof7 » 06 Jun 2013, 07:49

https://www.totalpainrx.com/index.php
I think their internet security certificate has expired, but I checked the site again anyway, it is a legit business, trying to keep people from being hooked on narcotics and still deliver pain management.
momof7
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 06 Jun 2013, 13:50

momof7
Wow. What a wonderful outlook you have going in for so much at one time. I'm a little speechless. Are you as calm as you seem? I hope in addition to all the preparations you've made for the physical recovery that you also feel supported in your emotions as well. This is a lot to undertake. You don't mention the ages of your children, but is all that worked out, not just in terms of them (if they're still in the age-range where they need a lot of care), but also how this is going to have to be a time that is all about you, and helping you. And your husband too?
I just want to wrap you up in a blanket and give you a hug.
We're all here cheering you on and here to lift your spirits as best we can from inside a computer, and also looking forward to the day when you are good as new!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Ever the Optimist » 06 Jun 2013, 14:16

Mom of 7 (Wow!)
Also popped by after reading your post to wish you all the very best with tomorrow x
That attitude will get you far, way past bottom surgery, even if they do have a bit of work to do down there on you!...
Wishing you a truly speedy and as painless as possible recovery. You know what you have to do! Go get it done and come out smiling. I'm sure with your fighting optimism and determination, you will!
All the very best tomorrow and let us know how it goes for you - We're all here to give you that post-op love & support.
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby splinterboy1984 » 06 Jun 2013, 15:34

Good luck momof7. I will pray for you, and keep you in my thoughts. Good luck.
splinterboy1984
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 06 Jun 2013, 15:41

Best of luck momof7,
I hope all goes well for you. I wish you a speedy recovery looking forward to hearing your after surgery story.
Take care 😊
Deleted User 2543

Postby momof7 » 06 Jun 2013, 17:42

The valium is probably helping with the calm. But yeah, since I'm not in searing pain it is easier to be calm.
I've been told to expect the pain to peak on Monday, and by then everyone but the very oldest will be away. 3 at teen camp, 1 on vacation with another family, and the other 2 college kids out of state. But the oldest one in town, bless her dear heart, is coming to help me in and out of the tub. =)
momof7
Salt Bather

Postby Savaici » 06 Jun 2013, 18:23

Best of luck, momof7! Will be thinking of you. Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Juls814 » 06 Jun 2013, 19:33

Hi Momof 7..best of luck to you and if it's any consolation, I will be spending my day tomorrow just like you..I am having a hemmoroid removed and fissure surgery. Not sure yet what for the fissure but I believe it will be LIS since my CRS said my canal is so narrow- thats why he is removing my one largest hemmoroid he said. I don't know about you, but I am soooo emotionally exhausted of months of pain, no pain..doctor after doctor, trying to change my diet and examining my POOP. Not to say that diet doesn't play a huge role- I know it does and will continue to remain diligent, but I don't want to have to think about it anymore. This fissure has taken over my life, and my family's. I already cancelled once, and I a nervous as heck- but some days I had spasms so awful I could not work and was in bed for 5-6 hours after a bm. I think we are stronger than we realize. I am more scared of recovery than the actual surgery- if that makes sense. However, I want my life back and becase of the narrowing of my stools and the lenghth of time I have this, I know I have no choice at this point. Looking back I realize that this was brewing, and when I had trouble using the bathroom or " twinges" in my rectum, what I thought was trapped gas- was probably actually spasms..
On another note, and hoping to make you laugh a little, tonight when I walked into the bathroom I found that my 18 year old son forgot to flush. A few months ago I would have been screaming and yelling, but all I could do was STARE..thinking how beautiful it was, what wonderful formation and size..almost like staring at a sculpture. And thinking " wow, I wish mine was like that.." and when I came to after my slight inebriation of poop- viewing..I then realized that it was the size of a Hebrew National salami and thought " OUCH"..lol..at least for me..
Amazing that the act of pooping has become such a constant thought in my every day life..I practically stop people on the street pushing Miralax..lol.
Heres to wishing you a speedy and painless recovery!!! When we are better, we can share our stories, which I am confident will be good ones!! Image Image
Juls814
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Postby suzyljank » 06 Jun 2013, 21:08

Best of luck on your surgery. Remember tomorrow is the day you start on your road to recovery. Hope all goes well. I'm six weeks out from a double advancement flap, there is a light at the end of all this. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic