Advice about cycling please

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Advice about cycling please

Postby Asore Arse » 11 Jun 2013, 15:34

Hi All
I'm 3 weeks post botox, I am doing well with healing. I am keen to get back on my bike as I need to use it to get around. I haven't been on my bike since botox and am scared to shag up the healing that I've managed to achieve, so I would appreciate some advice about cycling.....when is it ok to start doing it again???? Please let me know what you think. Thanks AA Image
Asore Arse
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Re: Advice about cycling please

Postby marg6043 » 11 Jun 2013, 15:42

Asore Arse, is hard to tell how you will feel unless you get in that bike and ride a bid just to test your bum and the healing.
I am not a bicycle rider but I remember that everytime I did weights on an incline bench with the small triangular seat my fissure will just put apart, now that I am healed i still do not dare to sit on those benches just in case.
But bicycling and benches are two different seat but taking into consideration the size of the seat I would be worry.
But you have to do what you have to do, first ask your doctor and see what he have to say about it.
I wish you the best.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Guest » 11 Jun 2013, 21:02

I would wait for a month at least and start with baby steps from thereon.
You may also read more on
"http://anal-fissure.org/t4390-bicycling-and-fissures"
Feb.9.2010

Postby saintkilledher » 12 Jun 2013, 08:01

i had botox 2 times and i waited 6 weeks before i got on my bike again
you can ride without sitting down mostly
saintkilledher
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby Ever the Optimist » 12 Jun 2013, 11:55

I love cycling too! and I did refrain for a while whilst everything was at its most painful but now I'm OK to get out and go again. I would suggest looking at different bike saddles -the wider padded cushioned-type versions are much more comfortable than the harder, thinner, triangular shaped ones.....
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Asore Arse » 12 Jun 2013, 14:05

Thank you all for your advice, I will consider it all and take it into account.  Yes I had thought I could cycle without sitting down much for shortish journeys and yes I do have a wide padded seat already, so that's handy.  I think I will wait a couple more weeks before giving a go though, once again many thanks to you all
Asore Arse
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby boulderguy » 10 May 2014, 11:30

I'm a serious Colorado recreational cyclist. Not long after doing a 3-day, 200 mile ride last summer, my hemorrhoids got so severe that I required surgery in late July. At that time the surgeon found an anal fissure, which has been the bane of my existence for the past 9+ months. His recommendation was to eat two cups of brown rice a day and eat mostly vegetables. He kept telling me that in a couple weeks I would be fine.

After two months of this and NO relief (and no cycling, either), I became more proactive about my own care. Started using wheatgrass cream, which did seem to help. But over and over again, just when I would think that things were finally turning around I would have a hard stool and be thrown for a loss. I've tried a variety of other remedies, with very little providing any kind of long-term relief. Staying off the bike definitely seemed to help, so I had to interrupt my training for weeks at a time. Accustomed to riding 4-5 days a week, this was very hard for me to deal with. I've gone through bouts of mild depression, withdrawal and just not feeling very sociable at all.

In early spring of this year I was back riding again at a regular clip when I had the dread re-tear. At the urging of an old friend who's a doctor, I went to see a different CRS. He prescribed me nitroglycerin ointment. I don't know why my original surgeon never mentioned this as a possibility, but after a few weeks things were noticeably better and I resumed my training. I went back to see the doc and he said the fissure was healing nicely and after about 3 weeks I should be able to stop with the cream.

You probably know what happened next. Yet another painful blowout. I gave it a few days off and then rode that weekend. Just an easy one-hour ride left me in excruciating pain. With a trip to Japan (and a 12-hour flight) coming up, I gave up on cycling for at least the next month. That trip is just a week away now and I'm hoping to get it together enough to deal with being on an airplane.

In the meantime, I have been using Miralax every day, also inulin and, at night, a docusate sodium stool softener along with some magnesium. I clean with Balneol after every BM. For me, nothing has helped as much as the nitro ointment, which I apply morning and night using a Q-Tip. It's obvious (as both the surgeon and the Korean healer warned me) that riding a bike causes the sphincter muscles to contract, which leads to re-tearing of the fissure. This time I'm resolved to stay off my beloved bike until it's totally healed. Then comes the work of weaning myself off all the laxatives and getting my body to do the job on its own. As has been mentioned elsewhere, more fiber and lots and lots of hydration are important. When I'm at one of my low points it's hard to believe that this will EVER go away, but in order to stay sane I have to assume that it will. I'm still hoping to do a couple century rides in the fall, but I guess we shall see.
boulderguy
Fibre Addict

Postby Broncosgirl » 23 Mar 2015, 22:10

Hi, I hope you have healed by now. I am also in Colorado and am an avid runner... Or was until this fissure started. I was wondering if you would recommended either of the CRS you saw. If so, could you post their names?
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby frank » 24 Mar 2015, 10:26

Broncosgirl,

How is running with your fissure? I am an avid runner myself and was curious if this affects you. I have ran during really nasty spasms and just kind of pushed through because running seems to be the only thing that keeps me sane with this.

I raised the question to my CRS if running can make the sphincter tight down there and cause anal fissures. She looked at me like I was nuts. But the reason I asked her this is... I never had a fissure in my life until I took up running which has now been 6 years of off and on fissures (this current one is far above any other I have had).

I don't know, maybe pure coincidence but I find it odd. And as of right now I have no plans to stop running to see if it might calm my muscle tone down.
frank
Salt Bather

Postby Broncosgirl » 24 Mar 2015, 13:37

Hey,
I have been doing the elliptical instead of running. It has been really depressing. I had a doctor say that if it helps relieve stress to run then do it while another advised against it. I have been going ghe conservative route though in my optinion it won't make it worse...

I had a doctor tell me that her long distance runners suffer from hemmroids a lot, but I don't know if that correlates to fissures. I was told that running can increase sphincter tone which can cause higher resting pressure. This combined with the possibility of dehydration while running and some of the tummy troubles that can come from distance running could lead to a fissure I imagine.

I hope you feel better soon and continue run on. I hope to be back out there soon. There are so many races I want to do!
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist