Anal Fissure the correct procedure

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Anal Fissure the correct procedure

Postby nick7 » 17 Jun 2013, 16:20

I had a Anal Fissure way back in 1977 but even today i still suffer from soreness despite the Fissure fully healed. What does help however is using a dilator which the hospital gave me and ky jelly as the lubricant
my surgeon at the time the late sir Alan parks from the world famous st marks hospital explained to me that although the fissure will heal the scar tissue may not and you will be in discomfort to some degree for the rest of your life. This has been the case for me as any long term problem in this very sensitive area causes haemorrhoids as well they may indeed be small in my case but still sufficient to cause the ongoing burning associated with an Anal Fissure
As i say this for me is a life long condition and I've never strained to go to the wc so has always been a mystery to how it came about in the first place. what does make it worse however is the use of any type of ointment or cream as you may feel that something is working but in most cases this is just wishful thinking as over time the soreness gets worse
So for me the course of action is the daily use of the dilator which over time will allow the bowel to stay relaxed at all times so that bowel movements are much easier with less ongoing pain
let me know if you think I'm on the right track also their is a condition called proctitis which is a inflammation in this area and is more common then a  Anal Fissure so you need to watch out that your diagnosis from the hospital is correct
Also rectal inflammation will give rise to 
Prostatitis in some people because of abnormal urinary tract so you need to keep an eye on your fluid intake many people get full relief just by drinking more water and it also keeps the pain well down on going to the toilet 
Anyhow good luck and hope this helps someone as out of all long term conditions you can get this is the worse of all as it's lasts for life in many cases and is not straightforward in mastering it 

nick7
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Anal Fissure the correct procedure

Postby marg6043 » 17 Jun 2013, 21:53

I agree, I believe that fissures while healed the area will stay sore and may get irritated on and off nick7. my fissure is healed so my doctor told me after an internal examination on my last visit, but he said that the tissue will be irritated for a while.
That is what I been feeling right now and sometimes makes me feel that I still having problems, plus I have a small hem that bleeds on and off.
While the pain is gone I still feel funny down there, I know for sure that it will never be the same.
I have not try dilating as my doctor said that my sphincter is relaxed and my bowel movements are full with no problem.
The last flare up lasted a year and finally it healed naturally as I avoided surgery to give time for a natural healing. But I am also aware that it can come back any time and cause all kind of problems again, something that I already decided to take care of with surgery rather than wait another year for healing.
Thanks for the tips.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8