I am a busy man today. Settled everything at once.

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

I am a busy man today. Settled everything at once.

Postby rebornbutt » 15 Jul 2013, 09:20

Hi folks.
This is my first post here. I've been reading alot but lack the balls to go for a fistula surgery. I was reading alot of horror stories on the net but this forum gave me the balls to go for the surgery.
This is my story. I had an anal abscess 2 years ago back in Jun 2011. I've believed that there are some pus inside but GP doc gave me antibiotics without drainage. Abscess subsized but did not really went again. Just a hard lump there doing virtually nothing. It does expand abit after every BM but reduced in size shortly.
Fast forward to Apr 2012. I decided that I must do something to it so I started applying nixoderm ointment on the abscess attempting to get it burst. It finally burst in Jun 2012 but the abscess filled up the very next 2 days. On a non ending cycle.
Until Dec 2012 I started researching on Homeopathy Medicine. Took it for 6 months and there seems to have improvements. Couple with sitz bath plus bactroban, fucidin and neosporin inside the butt after every BM. The fistula strinked into a very small tunnel but after I stopped using sitz bath. It came back again. Meaning I need to take sitz bath after every BM to maintain it infection free.
So I was in this mess for the past 2 years. Until today, I took half day off from work today. Went to get my dental fillings done. Came back and had a haircut. Went to a GP doctor and took a referral letter to a colorectal surgeon just on the 2nd floor of the GP doctor. The appointment was scheduled at 6.15 pm just now. Went to the colorectal surgeon office to fill up the surgery forms. Nurse asked me whether I would like to perform the surgery today? I replied if possible why not? In case my balls strinked again.
Was talking to a few uncles and aunties who are waiting to get their colonoscopy done. They advised me to get it done once and for all. It was my turn to see the colorectal surgeon. He asked me about my medical history etc. Did a check by looking at the bump and confirmed that I have a tiny fistula not involving any muscles. This doctor is fantastic, one of the few famous surgeons in Singapore specialized in the colorectal field. I asked about seton and he told me no need to, just a lay open and it will be sorted out easily. Doctor assured me no issues, believe me and I will settle this for you in 20 mins.
I went into the operating room feeling relaxed. The nurse started injecting anesthetic and I was talking and joking to the nurses. I just remember talking and talking non stop and doctor told me that it is done. Doctor told me I was speaking like some politicians in some election rallies. Image I seriously dun recall that I went on sleeping, I just remember I kept on looking at the lights about and continue talking like some election champaign. Image So I think I had a normal anesthetic. Image 
After resting for 20 mins. I went to consult the doctor again. He told me that he had done a fistulectomy and showed me a container with a black tract inside with hairy surface just like a ginseng. I asked him whether can I take back the fistula, make soup and drink it down since it causes me so much trouble for the past 2 years. So I got alot things done with a 1/2 day off. Image 
rebornbutt
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Re: I am a busy man today. Settled everything at once.

Postby rebornbutt » 15 Jul 2013, 09:54

This is the surgeon which did my surgery. He is a very experienced and friendly doctor.
Dr Heah Sieu Min
Senior Consultant Surgeon
L.R.C.P, F.R.C.S, MBBCh BAO (Ireland), LRCP & SI,
Royal College of Surgeons (Ireland)
General Surgery
•Years of Practice : 16
•Services Offered Include
◦Highly experienced general surgeon with an excellent track record
◦Has extensive experience in minimally invasive surgical techniques
◦Able to perform a wide verge of endoscopic procedure including gastroscopy and colonoscopy, treatment of bleeding ulcers, biopsy and removal of polyps
RANGE OF SERVICES
HEALTHCARE
•Gastroscopy
•Colonoscopy
•Piles (Stapled Haemorrhoidectomy)
•Colorectal Cancer Surgery • Gallstones (Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy)
•Hernia Repair
•Fistula-in-ano Anal Fissure
•Anal Pain
•Constipation
•Diarrhea
•Blood in Stools
•Irritable Bowel Syndrome
•Medical Group/Organization/Hospital
•Professional Association/Affiliation
•Consultant Colorectal Surgeon
•Clinical Teacher, Medical Faculty, National University of Singapore
•Achievements/Research Fields
•Singapore General Hospital HMDP Fellowship 1st September 1997 to 31st Aug 1998 Surgical Academic Unit, Castle Hill Hospital, University of Hull, United Kingdom
SERVICE QUALITY AWARDS
•Service with A Heart (Jan 2000 / Dec 2001 / Aug 2002)
•Heart of Gold (Jan – Mar 2000)
rebornbutt
Salt Bather

Postby kkmark » 15 Jul 2013, 13:13

rebornbutt
That was fast OMG in 1/2 day. Your'e awesome glad you got i done. My doctor said it will depend on if i need seton i am hoping not to have one:) anyways good luck on your'e recovery hope i will do the same :)
Kathy
kkmark
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby rebornbutt » 15 Jul 2013, 14:09

Hi Kathy,
My surgeon is rather experienced in diagnosing. He dun even uses a scope or anal probe. Just his experience, he simple look at it and feel the tract. Told me is a small tract without crossing any muscles. I am fearful of surgery as well. Just this surgery is just like the tooth filling I did this afternoon.
U should also worry less, get it done and move on with your life. I've wasted 2 years on this nonsense.
rebornbutt
Salt Bather