No bleeding for over 3 months then rebleed

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

No bleeding for over 3 months then rebleed

Postby Darkeyes » 09 Aug 2013, 11:09

I have had an anal fissure since the end of march. I haven't had any bleeding since then and things are slowly getting better with the help of nifedipine and/or nitro.
Today I had bleeding again! I did not have pain when going to the bathroom but I did have a stronger scraping sensation than usual. The first part of the bowel movement was a perfect Bristol 4 but it is usually between a 4 and 5. I figure that was the problem. The rest of the stool was pudding consistency as it usually is. I was disappointed with the bleeding and figured I retore the fissure. I know that has happened to a lot of people here. I put some nitro in and since then I have not had any spasm, only very mild irritation. I am happy about that but slightly confused about having blood without pain. Do you think it's a retear or maybe just some bleeding from an internal hemorrhoid?
I am trying to figure out how to soften the first part of the stool but I am not sure which meal to focus on. Any ideas which part of the stool corresponds to which meal?
Thanks!
Darkeyes
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Re: No bleeding for over 3 months then rebleed

Postby marg6043 » 09 Aug 2013, 14:21

Darkeyes, while your fissure is healing you still need to keep the area lubricated enough to ease irritation even if the stools are soft and easy to pass, Vaseline before a BM helps a lot.
What you describe is exactly what I went through while healing.
Fissures will get better but they also flare up without notice, all this happen during the healing process.
Sometimes during my healing I felt that scraping and bleeding even when the pain was no longer there in the area.
Even the day that I was formerly diagnosed with my fissure healed I bleed a few days later profusely I mean red bright blood in the water and stool without pain.
Is been two months since my last bleeding, no pain and no more blood, but I still used Vaseline and baby desitin to keep the area from getting irritated as I have a sentinel pile that can still get tender once in while.
Don't worry if pain and spams are not present. Have you check to see if you have an internal hems? I have one small one and internal hems tends to bleed without pain.
I hope your healing keep progressing.
marg6043
King Fissure

Postby Ever the Optimist » 09 Aug 2013, 15:22

Darkeyes,
Pain appears to be key in a healing fissure NOT bleeding.
A lot of people can still bleed whilst healing as Marge says, and it does NOT mean you have necessarily retorn.
If your pain levels have not increased and you are noticing improvement, have faith that you are actually OK!
It's an interesting question about the hard stool tip and has been discussed here a few times. I believe that this harder part of the stool is due to the fact that this "part" has probably been stored in the rectum for longer than the remainder that follows and will also be positioned lower ready to expel. In my experience, if I pass stools later in the day or have more than 1 BM per day, I find I do not get this issue. ( I tend to have 2-3 BMs a day) Because of this, I think my bowels evacuate completely and because the stools do not stay in my system for too long, do not get the chance to "dry out" and become hard, if this makes sense??.........Lots of water is obviously a must, along with soft foods/ fruits & veggies. I always take Magnesium at night too to keep things soft. Using a big dollop of Vaseline is really helpful to help the stool pass out more easily too.
I also think eating substantially helps produce good regular stools - By this, I don't mean overeating, but a lot of us fall into the trap of upping our fibre, but cutting out an awful lot of foods and cutting down on foods we fear will do the fissure harm. Of course, it's true of the fried, processed, refined stuff that we don't need but it's also important to maintain a healthy balance of everything the body needs and this in turn, affects the bowels. The less and lighter I eat, the fewer BMs I have, and the longer they stay in the body, which actually makes things more difficult for me. It's just a personal view but I think it makes sense...I think you might just need to experiment with that a little?
Hoping you are OK and you are no longer worrying :) 
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Please go-away! » 09 Aug 2013, 21:08

Hi Darkeyes, you stated you had two different bowel movement's.
Now I have IBS, which can give me a perfect BM then a half an hour later, very loose to diarrhea, since the diarrhea can be acidic, it can also hurt an existing fissure.
You can soften the plug, by starting with a soluble food ,then following with a insoluble(you can also increase the soluble over insoluble)
So please lubricate the rectum with Vaseline to prevent more irritation. I'm not saying you have IBS, but it doesn't hurt to eat food's that are easier on the bowels.
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Postby Darkeyes » 11 Aug 2013, 08:30

Thanks for the encouragement! I am no longer fresking out sbout the bleeding. This does not seem to be a major setback. I did not bleed yesterday or today and i did not have pain when i had a bowel movement. My spasms are still minimal at this point. I have an occasional sharp stabbing pain that I have not had for several weeks but I know that the fissure healing process is two steps forward, one step back. I am definitely still using the Vaseline, it has been a big help.
Pleasgoaway: great suggestion on soluble food first. There is a difference between soluble and insoluble fiber, at least for us fissure sufferers. I am sorry to hear about your IBS. It is hard enough to get the right consistency of stool without IBS on top of it.
Ever the optimist: thanks for the insights. I have wondered about that too, the fact that the first part of the stool stays in the colon longer and may get more dried out. I try to eat the same volume of food that I used to. For me too, if I eat less I feel like the stools are harder. I never thought I would analyze my bowel movements so much!
Marg6043: I knew someone else had experienced this but when I went to search the site, I did not come up with much! I am glad that you finally healed up. It is interesting that you still had some bleeding even after the fissure was healed. It is really encouraging to read your experience. I do have some internal hemorrhoids so it is hard to tell if that caused the bleeding or the fissure. I am hopeful that this will continue to heal. I don't think I will give up my Vaseline any time soon!
Always so encouraging to hear back from people who have been through this!
Darkeyes
Salt Bather