Healing? Reply to OMB!

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Healing? Reply to OMB!

Postby sue30uk » 23 Sep 2013, 05:52

Hello all, for some reason I have had to create a new account. I was formerly sue27uk in case any of the old lot are on here. I have had to start a new thread as my other one no longer exists. For those who don't know I have been having problems for 2 and half years. A week ago I underwent surgery for a fistula and fissure. To be perfectly honest the problem I wanted them to fix....they haven't! He looked and said the fistula didn't go anywhere so he curetted it and found what he described as a nasty fissure further up. He cleaned the area and injected 25 units of botox each side. Well I've got to say I thought he had sorted it!! My coccyx pain had gone, I reckon its the fissure which is causing it. Unfortunately I had bleeding on Friday for no apparant reason, it eased but the faithful coccyx pain has returned to some extent. I seem to have good and bad days. I seem to think there is something external too, as I have a liquidy yellowy substance come out. It's not pus, just watery. I reckon he's sorted the fistula (as I have no pain there at all), but the fissure I know will be a waiting game. It was going so well. I nearly dared to hope it was sorted after a week of no pain, it was heaven!!! At least my 30th birthday was good which is what I wanted! Will update here in a week or so to keep people informed. Feeling a bit up and down at the moment :roll:
sue30uk
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: Healing? Reply to OMB!

Postby pinpin » 23 Sep 2013, 11:33

Hi,

I am sorry, but you got in 9-18 of September gap, where we lost posts during this period migration to new place.
If you really wish, I can try to get your all posts and attach them.

Sorry once again!
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby Ever the Optimist » 23 Sep 2013, 14:52

Hi Sue,
It's good to see you again and really pleased to read, that despite everything, you had a great 30th Birthday!!! Many happy belated wishes x x
It's also great you had a few days respite but sorry you are continuing to struggle with the fissure side of stuff still...I hope the Botox will now do you some good and allow some healing.
Is the nasty fissure further up a new find or the one you are continuing to battle with??
I can only think that coccyx pain is still related to the fissure but it can't be much fun to live with either.....
Maybe also that the yellow type substance is connected to the work he did on the Fistula and that that will pass with time for you?
I can understand you feeling up and down with it all, especially when you get high hopes you are healing and then you suffer a little set-back now & again......Just hang in there and hoping that this time round, things start to improve more with the Botox and a bit more time....Take Care :fairy:
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby sue30uk » 23 Sep 2013, 16:20

Yeah I have come to the conclusion it will take some time. It is somewhat sore to touch (I mean when I dab it dry occasionally) but if I leave it alone its ok. Had a good day today, no pain with a bm and seems to have settled. Got a bit aggravated when I dabbed it dry tonight after sitting in my bidet. The one further up is a new one, well one where I have been having pain for 18months but different to the one which was operated on with the same op as you last year. I've got to admit, the fistula never really gave me any problems, just a twinge every now and then so at least the op seems to have sorted that. Thank you for the birthday wishes! Thank you ETO, I will update probably weekly as I think I need to judge it over time. Back to work on Thursday so that will be a test!! Good to see you too! No problem Igrik, I found I was unable to log in either, I used to login as sue27uk but it wouldn't accept it or send a new password so I morphed into sue30uk!!! :)
sue30uk
Salt Bather

Postby pinpin » 24 Sep 2013, 08:52

Do you want me to send password via PM for previous account?
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby Scientist2516 » 24 Sep 2013, 09:10

Hi Sue, would it be possible to use a hairdryer to dry the area rather than dab it dry?
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Ever the Optimist » 24 Sep 2013, 15:35

Sue,
All the very best with your return to work. Hope everything goes OK for you & I'll look out for your updates x
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby sue30uk » 25 Sep 2013, 10:01

Hi ETO, I had a bit of a wobble moment yesterday when some strange looking stuff came out. So I went to the GP today just for him to check. He did so, and asked which sugeon I'd been to as he said he'd made a really good job. It is healing up nicely, no infection just a bit red at one end. My coccyx pain is intermittent, but I reckon that's the fissure and as the botox won't wear off for at least another 4 weeks I'm hoping it will heal. Think it will be a case of good days and bad days. Thank you so much ETO, it looks like the fistula is sorted, just the most recent fissure to go. I have been eating alot better again which will hopefully help. Fingers crossed the fissure heals! Will keep this updated :)
sue30uk
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 25 Sep 2013, 15:04

:sunny: Hi Sue,
That's great to read - I'm glad you got it checked out too for your peace of mind - so it's all normal stuff?? It must be really reassuring for you to know you are healing well.
I also think your Coccyx pain is unfortunately fissure-related. That's the pain of these things - they seem to lead to what seems like unrelated pain elsewhere! I know OMB has had the same issue too & Rachael, another poster, was worrying because all her lady parts were also being affected! Hopefully as it heals more, that will ease up a bit for you too.
The fissure itself, as we know, is the difficult bit, but if you keep doing all the right things, you have every fighting chance of getting it healed and starting to get back to normal again. Fingers crossed for you as ever!
Just try to keep thinking positive and telling yourself you are healing & everything is going to be OK!!!!
I'm sure I'll be here with you right to the end!!! :sunny:
Ever the Optimist

Postby sue30uk » 28 Dec 2013, 16:01

Thought I would update this for anyone interested! It has been roughly 4 months since my operation and I am pleased to say that my fistula site seems to have completely healed - yay!!! It was internal and has healed nicely, no repercussions and things have settled down. Unfortunately the fissure problem has not gone. I re-tore on boxing day and to be honest the pain hadn't gone. I am in the process of improving my diet again, and things are settling, just taking time. I mafe a visit to my GP and he basically said he didn't know what they could do next which at first I found upsetting. However I am now turning this into a positive, I have a follow-up appointment on 7th January ay which I will push for answers. If I don't get what I want I am going private to the guy who did the operation as he managed to ensure I was not in pain for 2 weeks (something no one else has managed!!). I am determined not to give up!! I am getting some leakage (not alot though and only sometimes) so realise LIS might not be the best option but am enquiring about advanced flap to see if that is an option. I hope everyone has had a lovely christmas and wish all the best for everyone in the new year! :)
sue30uk
Salt Bather