My anal fissure has a mind of it's own

Different stages?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

My anal fissure has a mind of it's own

Postby pitaX1000 » 10 Oct 2013, 13:31

Every time I feel like I get a breakthrough and learn something new that helps, a day or two later things go spiraling out of control again. It's almost as if my fissure has a mind of it's own and when I do something that seems to work, it figures me out and presents an entirely new pain. I thought I had already been through every type of pain imaginable.

Much of my progress is due to what I've learned from all of you at this amazing site. Without the knowledge I've gained here, I'm terrified to think where I'd be. I've had my fissure (or fissures) for about 3 months now. I didn't know what I was dealing with (although had pretty much self diagnosed) but wasn't doing anything to treat the problem until I went the doctor and got the nitroglycerin. The doctor only looked at the outside of my bum and didn't poke and prod in there, much to my relief at the time. She diagnosed pretty much based just on my symptom description and a quick consult with a GI surgeon. I applied the ointment and much to my delight, I felt like a normal human being again for the first two days. She had told me it would take 2-4 weeks to feel better, but it was almost instant for me. I continued to use the nitro as directed, started changing my diet and felt I had nipped this in the bud before things got worse.

And then things got worse. I decided a trip to the gym was in order followed by a 2 mile walk home. What a huge mistake that was. I had to stay home from work for a week, having the razor blade like bowel movements followed by 10-12 hours of spasms, burning, prickling and stabbing sensations. I was also feeling quite a bit of just general soreness and bruising in the area. This was usually towards the end of the day.

This week was a little better. I made it back to work for the first three days. I have perfected the perfect bowel movement through diet and positioning on the toilet. This morning, I managed to go and it actually felt good. I never thought I'd ever again experience ones of those satisfying BMs. But I nearly did today. I've had no blood for over a week so I don't think I'm continuing to tear. But, the after burn and prickling has been super intense today. I'm about 4 hours past my last BM. It feels like broken glass is sitting just inside my rectum. When I was done with BM and got up off the pot, I still felt good. It wasn't until I applied my nitro that I started to get the intense pain. I suffered through it and sat on the heating pad for a while and got myself dressed and headed to work. The intensity of the pain I was feeling caused me to turn around and head back home. It's not just in the immediate are. I feel sharp pains shooting deep inside my anal canal as well as into the tissue of my but cheeks. Anyone else have this? When I got home I decided to take another bath and that felt okay while I was in it. I applied some coconut oil after and boy did that hurt! It got all prickly again and burned. Does anyone else have trouble with the coconut oil? It's not soothing to me like it seems to be for others. What I have is Organic extra virgin coconut oil. There's nothing else in it. I ordered the Colson E-Key suppositories which are due to arrive today but I'm sort of afraid to use them. Any thoughts on this?

Also, one thing that I was doing this week which was godsend was Ativan. It immediately and effectively relaxed my sphincter for hours so that I was able to pretty much go on with my day without too much discomfort, but that's not working today. Again, I think my fissure has a mind of it's own! It doesn't want me to get better.

I have noticed when I look down there with a mirror, two little bumps or tags. Could this be the sentinal tag I'm hearing so much about? I have two of them right next to each other. If there are two does that mean 2 fissures? If they are there does that mean the fissure is healing? If they are there and just on the rim of the opening are they want's causing me so much discomfort right now and not the fissure since my BMs are relatively painless. Someone please tell me that what I'm going through is part of the healing process and the worst is behind me. No pun intended. Thank you all so much for providing so much information and sharing your stories. :thankyou:
pitaX1000
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: My anal fissure has a mind of it's own

Postby vdb324 » 10 Oct 2013, 18:34

I had a sentinel tag. It's basically just scar tissue, my doctor said. Mine was located right at the bottom of my fissure, and it was probably the size of a pea. It would hurt if I bumped it while wiping. I'm not sure if it hurt post-BM, or if it was just the AF.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby Scientist2516 » 10 Oct 2013, 22:39

Yes, it's confusing. I have a sentinel tag, and I sometimes think I get pain from wiping, even from using a shower head, also from walking in jeans. It sometimes feels as though the tag gets irritated and ends up feeling almost as bad as the fissure. But it could still be the fissure - it's so hard to know.

You say that you get pain after using the nitro and the coconut oil. Are you putting them up inside? Because twice I put coconut oil inside, and felt a burning pain afterwards. I know it helps a lot of people here, but I felt that the act of putting it in caused the pain. Same with the nifedipine and diltizem I used. I used to put it up inside with my finger, and I think that caused pain. With the nitro I just apply it to the outside, because I KNOW it's absorbed through the skin (I can feel it all the way up in my head, so it must be very well absorbed). I just feel like putting anything up inside sparks off the pain and spasms.

I can totally relate when you say your fissure has a mind of its own. One day it will tolerate something. The next day it throws a hissy fit for no reason and gives you a day of agony. It's a spoiled brat!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby pitaX1000 » 12 Oct 2013, 11:18

I really feel like my fissure is healing. I think it's these tags. There are two side by side. I can kind of feel them when I walk for more than a hundred hards and they become painful. Or could it be piles? If it's piles then is the increase of blood flow from the nitro and heat preventing them from shrinking? They are a little smaller than a pea. When I insert a coconut oil suppository at night before bed they sort of tuck back up inside and I don't feel or see them anymore. Does anyone use the Carlson key-e suppositories during the day? I'm thinking of trying this. I don't have any leaking with them but I only use at night when I'm sleeping. I really want to get back to a more active life and my patience is wearing thin, but I'm terrified of the slightest setback..
pitaX1000
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3