Strategies for handling stress

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Strategies for handling stress

Postby howtobepositive » 18 Oct 2013, 01:11

I am sure I'm not the only one to have noticed that stress seems to make the fissure pain worse. I have been dealing with a fissure for about an year now and have tried all the remedies usually prescribed from diltiazem, nitro to botox and the LIS but continue to suffer.

During this period, I have had periods of high stress and not so high stress and always could notice the pain getting worse during high stress periods. Additionally, my recent setback after going through almost a month pain free was caused by a period of 2-3 days when I was highly stressed.

I have noticed that in addition to the stress causing pain, it also causes my stomach to be hyperactive resulting in diarrhoea which in turn makes the fissure worse.

So what I want to know is that when you get stuck in this vicious cycle where stress makes pain worse and the increased pain gives you more stress....so on and so forth, how do you keep going?

Emotionally, Im so screwed up now because of this that I cant focus on anything, cant do what I want and am constantly noticing the pain and asking myself what did eat, what did I do different today, what else have I not tried - basically losing confidence in mmy ability to do anything. And why not? When you cant sit for long enough, cant lift anything heavy, cant wear light clothes because of the stains you are bound to lose some of it!

So how do you guys do it?!?!
howtobepositive
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Re: Strategies for handling stress

Postby owmybum » 18 Oct 2013, 03:50

It's a very difficult one stress. I too notice I get 'tighter' when I'm going through stressful times, and get that washing machine stomach and looser bms.
I got so anxious about the pain I was in with my af that I eventually went on anti anxiety meds. These have helped me cope day to day with just living with the constant pain of the fissure. As soon as they kicked In I could think clearer about my situation, and cope a lot better.
If you don't want to go down that route, maybe just try relaxation techniques. Deep breathing, listening to calming music, reassuring yourself that you will get through this... It's not forever... Things will improve again... It just takes time.
It's tough, and emotionally exhausting.... But you CAN get through this.

:smilyhug:
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Deleted User 2950 » 18 Oct 2013, 11:15

hey howtobepositive

Along the lines of what OMB says

Just coming here to vent a bit will help take off some of that stress, so your on the right path.
Yeah basically what you want to do is anything that will take your mind off your sore bum.
Sure its no fun doing certain things with that pain, but the stress builds if there is not an avenue
for it to escape from you.

A few here have found meditation pretty valuable. Its all about visualizing yourself in a better place and
that healing is taking place. Yoga along with meditation and deep breathing have produced good results
also.

Here's some good results that have helped people here that was discussed not too long ago........
Click here
search.php?keywords=meditation

We know it can be tough if your job or family situation is contributing to the overall stress levels,
learning how to relax in your situation is just as much a part of our healing routines as is eating,
using creams etc.

Please, do not dwell and linger on your plight, rather, do something, think about something else, try to
convince yourself that it could be worse or that things will get better. Think of the nice "bum" soaking
coming up if your at work and the relief you'll get from that. Music, Reading, Photo Albums, talking with
someone all will divert the pain and stress levels.

As the old sayings goes, "Take it easy on yourself" :D "Stop, take some time to smell the roses".

This mentality would fare us all better in our stress levels.

Hope this helps...GL :rainbow:
Deleted User 2950

Postby asdf123456 » 20 Oct 2013, 09:54

Hi Howtobepositive... I am curious you say LIS did not work. How far post-op are you? When did you begin to believe it was a failure. I am 5.5 weeks out and very skeptical at this point. VERY DEPRESSED. I'm sorry for your pain.
asdf123456
VIP

Topics: 7