Women Only Question

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Women Only Question

Postby vdb324 » 22 Oct 2013, 20:58

Hi ladies!

So, now that my AF is doing better, I now have a couple of women's problems going post-surgery - bacteria and yeast. I know a few of you mentioned that you also were in a similar situation with the yeast. I am to the point where I can't take sitz baths anymore. First, I found out a few days ago about the bacteria infection. The doctor in the office did a lab test to diagnose it.
Then, I went back to the CRS' office today, because it looked like the rash that I developed post-surgery was extending toward my lady bits and causing quite a bit of irritation. The nurse practitioners (the first one called in her colleague) first asked if I was on antibiotics post-surgery. I was for two days, so I thought perhaps they were thinking I had an infection. However, they both said it look like a yeast infection on the outside, and I know many ladies get yeast infections from antibiotics (but it was only two days...). They said perhaps the yeast was superimposed upon the bacteria infection.

I can't even stand to take a sitz bath now, which is frustrating, as I really want to continue to heal. How did you all cope with lady infections and an AF? It's super frustrating. I know someone mentioned a hair dryer, which has been helpful for drying off down there, and I have started some probiotics and increased my yogurt intake. This irritation is making me want to jump off a cliff!

:groan:
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Re: Women Only Question

Postby Scientist2516 » 23 Oct 2013, 10:18

I've had yeast infections occasionally all my adult life, and the itching is terrible; so my advice is to go to a pharmacy and get some anti-yeast cream for your labia, and "suppositories" which you put in your vagina. It's kind of wretched to be using yet more medications down there, but it will clear up the yeast fast. You'll want to protect your underwear with a liner.
There are off the shelf medications for vaginal bacterial infections too, in case you still have problems after the yeast is cleared up.

Are you using diltiazem? That also can cause a horrible itch and irritation. I imagine the irritated area could be more prone to yeast/bacteria, so consider if diltiazem could be the underlying cause.

Good luck! I feel for you - sometimes you just feel like everything between your legs is cursed. I know!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Savaici » 23 Oct 2013, 11:21

Did they take a test to actually see if it is a yeast infection?

Also, do you put anything in your Sitz bath except water?

How do you clean up after a Sitz bath?

My answers to the last two (and I have been using a Sitz bath for quite a time is - don't use anything except wate, and I use damp Cottonelle loo paper after a poop, then I DAB with Johnson & Johnson Gauze Pads wet with water only. Then I dab with Cottonelle paper again to dry. All of this is done with gentleness!

I found when I did have a yeast infection, that the doc gave me something for this that was not available off the shelf, and that yoghurt did nothing to help once I had the infection.

Hope this helps :)
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Savaici » 23 Oct 2013, 11:26

And. P.S. The Cottonelle that I use has Aloe and Vitamin E...makes the paper smell better, though it is not scented.
Savaici
Administrator

Postby revma3 » 23 Oct 2013, 13:05

Get to the health food store and get some Pro-hep probiotic pills (the bottle says 'to elimainate yeast'), take two pills everyday for two months. In the meantime keep the area as dry as you can, and when you are at home take off your underwear and just let the area kinda dry, basically lock your door, put a towel under you and just rest. I had the same problem, had to clear it before I started the sitz bath again. Now my period is due, feel awful!
revma3
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby east_1234 » 23 Oct 2013, 14:38

Try having fresh-squeezed lemon water every day. It helps to restore the pH and make it inhabitable for yeast.
east_1234
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Savaici » 23 Oct 2013, 19:14

I see that you have been actually diagnosed with a bacterial infection, vdb324. As you are being treated for that, I would speak to your primary care provider as to what you should do about the suspected yeast infection before trying different remedies.

Hope you feel much better soon :smilyhug:
Savaici
Administrator

Postby vdb324 » 23 Oct 2013, 19:31

Yeah, the lab test confirmed a bacterial infection, but when I visited the nurse practitioner at the CRS' office about the rash (seeing it had originated post-surgery near the fissure area and spread toward the lady bits), they both said it looked like the rash was yeast - so they prescribed an anti-fungal topical. Sorry, I know this is kind of TMI and not directly AF-related, but it all started immediately following my Botox treatment for the AF and tag removal.

So, I am nearing the end of my medicine for the bacteria treatment, using the topical, and taking the female probiotics. I am hesitant to say that it feels slightly better today. I have had a bacterial infection before, but never yeast. However, I had a similar rash to this when my fissure was at its worst, but it was limited to the anal area and never spread toward the vagina. This time, it has managed to spread all the way across my bottom, causing pain when I walk, itchiness, dry/cracking sensation, etc.

On the upside, my fissure has been behaving very well.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby sue30uk » 27 Oct 2013, 12:30

I had a rather nasty yeast infection along with my fissures caused by bathing. I have had funny reactions to botox before so that may be contributing. I went very red and it itched me to death the first time I had botox. I haven't had this reaction since though, only when the botox wears off. I'm afraid I just persevered with sitting in my bidet, and used canestan, the oral tablet and pessaries. It may be worth seeing your GP though as it sounds like you are having more than one problem. They can put you on a cycle, such as an oral tablet every 5 days, pessaries every 3 days and the cream. Just be warned though, continuous use of the cream damaged my skin (as its a steriod) so I wouldn't use it continuously. I began to eat healthily and it helped, probiotics and yoghurts are good too. Anitbiotics can be bad triggers for thrush as every time I have these I get it. Think the first visit is your GP, get some swabs done again :)
sue30uk
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby rio » 27 Oct 2013, 13:07

I had some vaginal problems after UTI infection (when my anal fissure starts). They gave me canesten - no change.
Then i started using vaginal probiotic capsules with lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 and Lactobacilus reuteri RC-14. Every evening 1 caps into vagina for 7 days. It helped a lot and I can recomend it. I used a brand named Lactogyn.
And it also helps a lot with the urinary tract problems.
Disabling burning, drilling pain in anal area for almost a year, started after UT infection. Small anal fissure diagnosed, turned out it is probably not the cause of pain, MRI shows no inflammation or fistula. Grateful to forum members for support.
rio
VIP

Topics: 12