Urgent question about hospital procedure/botox and periods!

Lady topic

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Urgent question about hospital procedure/botox and periods!

Postby Pamplemousse » 18 Nov 2013, 17:28

Argh! This is so embarrassing but I'm having an investigative procedure under general anaesthetic and possibly botox on Wednesday and I've got my period. Does anyone know if I will still be able to get the procedure done? As if the whole thing wasn't horrendously embarrassing enough anyway. :oops: Seriously, why does my body hate me so much? My period should have started last week and would have been over by the time of the procedure but of course it chooses this month to be late! Why? Why? Why? :sadd:
Pamplemousse
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Urgent question about hospital procedure/botox and perio

Postby Ever the Optimist » 19 Nov 2013, 03:06

Hi Pamplemousse,
Unfortunately, a period will not delay or affect your surgery! It will happen as planned but wearing a tampon may make things a little easier (well maybe a little less messy afterwards to contend with & face).....
A missed or late period could easily be a stress reaction to everything you are facing, so that would be normal unless there is any risk you might be pregnant, in which case, ensure you let the hospital know asap because they may not give you a GA if that is the case & might have to review your situation.
Your body doesn't hate you - it's probably just reacting to a bit of mind-stress and just giving you a few challenges right now at a more difficult time!! It's always seems to be the way unfortunately :) You'll be fine - the procedure is very quick and you're pretty much on your way home soon after, so you will be able to deal with things more comfortably again. Wishing you all the very best with the EUA & possibly Botox. At least you will have much better knowledge of how you are & how everything is getting on down there :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Pamplemousse » 21 Nov 2013, 09:48

Thanks so much, Ever the Optimist, for your supportive reply.

I just want to say, in case anyone else has the misfortune to need an answer to this question, that I actually wasn't allowed to use a tampon. I think this was because of the risks of toxins that come with using tampons. I suppose this rule could vary depending on the hospital. Anyway, I had to wear some very sexy hospital underwear ( :roll: ) and a pad into theatre which I assume they then removed to do the investigation! It was embarrassing but the nurse taking care of me in theatre told me not to worry about it and sympathised with me on the poor timing! Everyone was very professional and helped to put me at ease.

Today I am recovering from the GA. I didn't get botox. The investigation was normal, which I can't believe. Though my fissures have been a lot better I still get twinges of pain, lots of discomfort and I definitely have a troublesome skin tag. So it's all very frustrating. But never mind! At least the fissures seem to have healed and I definitely had two, even if the surgeon couldn't see them. There was no mention of any scar tissue from previous fissures or anything. I'm extremely confused, to be honest. How can 2 extremely painful fissures that lasted for months just spontaneously go away without a trace?!
Pamplemousse
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby Ever the Optimist » 21 Nov 2013, 15:19

Hi Pamplemousse,
It's good to read that everything went OK and you made it through the experience! Very interesting to read about the tampon issue - Had no idea about this)
It's quite possible that the investigation was normal and your fissures are actually healed but what you don't always get to hear is that sometimes even after the fissures have healed, you will still continue to feel some discomfort for quite a while!!
There will be scar tissue covering those delicate areas and even though you have "healed" there will some adjustment period whilst the delicate scar tissue firms up a little and becomes more resistant to pressure from stools etc. I remember clearly being at your stage in the healing process and I'm sorry to say although I was declared "healed", I still continued to get discomfort/ soreness/ twinges for a few months after. I think if you're healing naturally then it seems to happen this way. With time for sure though, hopefully your Sentinel pile will calm & settle down and will certainly be less bothersome & things do gradually get back to normal too. At this stage, whilst I was dealing with the discomfort, I found Coconut Oil very soothing. I've also used Aloe Vera (straight from the plant) and this is very helpful for me in relieving piles in general. :)
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby Alyssa » 24 May 2014, 16:06

"fissures are actually healed but what you don't always get to hear is that sometimes even after the fissures have healed, you will still continue to feel some discomfort for quite a while!!
There will be scar tissue covering those delicate areas and even though you have "healed" there will some adjustment period whilst the delicate scar tissue firms up....I was declared "healed", I still continued to get discomfort/ soreness/ twinges for a few months after."

I mentioned this information to my doctor and he did not mention anything about this; he made me seem as though it was in my head. It's frustrating because they are the experts and we are just seeking for answers but they don't give it to us.
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby Ever the Optimist » 26 May 2014, 13:39

Hi Alyssa,
No, it's so true that a lot of CRS' don't mention this but the more I hear and research, the more it becomes blindingly apparent that even when the fissure is healed, many people continue to feel weird sensations and the above for months after! I honestly believe they either don't acknowledge this, don't want to tell us or don't maybe know! It's incredibly frustrating since yes, as you say they are the experts! 2.5 years on I still get some of this stuff going on and I am so tempted to go back to discuss this and see what explanation I get! My CRS did say to me at my last appointment that my bottom might never "quite feel the same again" - I'm guessing the continuation of this stuff to a much minor extent, is what he was implying! but on reflection, I really don't think that this was a very informative comment at all......!
Ever the Optimist

Postby Savaici » 26 May 2014, 18:46

I have never had surgery for a fissure, but do believe that after the worst of mine "healed" (don't really think that it has ever really healed) I was left with so much internal scar tissue that I continue to have problems every BM. I can really only have my mornings pain free; afternoons are a time of constant sensation internally, sometimes worse than others, but my constant bane!

Just my moan of the day :groan:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Alyssa » 26 May 2014, 22:02

Savaici,

How long did you have the fissure for? I had mine for only 2 months and still have pain during or after bowel movements does that mean that those sensations will never go away? I've been to several doctors and they don't see an active fissure but I remain to be in mild pain! I'm beyond frustrated at this point because I just don't understand how thus could be.

I had several external hemoroids removed 5 years ago and my butt never felt like this although I had them for over a year!
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Postby Ever the Optimist » 27 May 2014, 01:24

:%`+: Aw Sav....Can truly relate in my own way.....Rant all you need!

Alyssa, Did you consider returning to your CRS to ask these questions? The more I read, the more I really should.......
I don't know if we will ever feel the same again and it all seems more manageable with time, but then maybe we just get used to it all & deal with things better? Maybe it is just scar tissue that causes all this. It's incredibly frustrating that no-one provides an explanation and seems able to pinpoint exactly what causes these ongoing issues.
Ever the Optimist

Postby Alyssa » 27 May 2014, 12:19

I have an appointment with a crs tomorrow so I would definitely ask.
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP