LIS for hemorrhoids?

Do you have Hemorrhoids and are contemplating or have had a Hemorrhoidectomy? If you are thinking of surgery, or want to ask questions on anything to do with Hemorrhoids, or want to share with others who have been through this, this is the place!

Return to Hemorrhoids and Hemorrhoidectomy

LIS for hemorrhoids?

Postby pinpin » 08 Dec 2013, 01:51

Hello,

Got concerned that sphincterotomy relieving pressure in anal area and making stool easier to pass should in regards of constipation. Shouldn't it?

I saw many member posts after LIS, saying there was feeling like part of colon is missing and BM are very easy to pass, literally it just flew out. If you don't strain during BM, logically hemmies should not get aggravated?

What are you thoughts folks?
:dunno:
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Re: LIS for hemorrhoids?

Postby owmybum » 09 Dec 2013, 13:45

Hemmies get aggrivated for a number of reasons..... Standing around a lot always flares mine up.

I use movicol, never strain, had hems removed... And years later... I still get aggrivated hems!!

I'm not sure what difference LIS would make to hemorrhoids.... Maybe someone can chip in???
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Mood: UGH !

Postby jr2 » 09 Dec 2013, 16:04

igrik,

Long term LIS isn't likely to do much for constipation or hemorrhoids. In the beginning, right after the surgery, BMs should be much easier to pass. The muscle is at the weakest point it is going to ever be and the fissure pain itself has usually dropped dramatically. People are usually still taking stool softeners as well, so with a loosened sphincter muscle BMs pass more easily.

But over time as everything heals up, the resting pressure of the sphincter begins to increase again. It never will be as strong as it was before surgery, but actually, the research shows it increases to a level that is still higher than healthy controls.

As that muscle regains its strength it will continue to be important to maintain soft stools that are easy to pass and no no no straining.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby chachacha » 23 Aug 2017, 18:42

I had very large, prolapsing hemmies before LIS and they stopped prolapsing right afterward. Two years later though, after the sphincter returned to its original too-tight condition, the hemmies returned with a vengeance. There is no question that the LIS helped tremendously with the prolapsing hemorrhoids, but it wasn't a long-term fix.

I know that this is a very old thread, but wanted to add to it for others who are looking for answers down the road. The more relevant information, the better.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby pinpin » 23 Aug 2017, 22:58

Thank you. I hovewer must add, that since my Lis surgery I never since had thrombosed external hemorrhoid .

Before surgery I tend to have, it was actually one of reasons I opted for hemmie surgery first.
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Mood: Good

Postby chachacha » 23 Aug 2017, 23:03

Oh, I didn't realize that you were asking about external hemmies. It makes a lot of sense that mine didn't prolapse again until the sphincter became tight again, but I don't see a correlation between the surgery and externals. Interesting topic.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19