Help!! Anal abrasion/Hemorrhoids

Anal abrasion? with hemorrhoids

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Help!! Anal abrasion/Hemorrhoids

Postby ocular sinistra » 13 Dec 2013, 19:53

Okay, for the past four months or so every bowel movement has felt like passing a cactus, and nearly every time there is bright red blood on the toilet paper. Once or twice there was a drop or two in the toilet bowl. There's a scraping feeling right near the anus as the stool passes. Went to a walk-in a month ago because I also had the most painful hemorrhoid of my life. Told her about the bleeding and she recommended I do a follow=up with my regular doctor. I went to him a few days ago. There's still blood with every bowel movement but the pain has improved somewhat since I started a stool softener. My doctor did a rectal exam and confirmed that I have hemorrhoids and what he called an "anal abrasion" which is what I'm feeling when I poop. He's 90% sure this is what's causing my bleeding but still wants to do a colonoscopy.
I am scared to death to have one done--not because of the colonoscopy itself but I've read the risk of perforated colon or adverse reaction to the anesthesia. I guess my question is this: If he's confirmed I have an anal abrasion and hemorrhoids, and said it's not uncommon for them to bleed this long; why the need for a colonoscopy? It seems we've identified the problem. There is no history of cancer in my family. I am 48, female, and in good health other than my butt! So is he recommending this to cover HIS butt or MINE? Need some advice here. I have no abdominal issues whatsoever as far as pain, no fever, cramping, anything like that. My stools are usually quite thick and hard (which is what I think started this whole problem). Could really use some outside perspective here. To me, it seems the risk of the procedure is outweighing the slim chance they'll find anything other than the hemorrhoids and abrasion we already have confirmed. Not to mention the cost. Even with insurance we have a $2500 deductible so would probably have to pay the whole cost. Help!! What would you guys do?
ocular sinistra

Topics: 2

Re: Help!! Anal abrasion/Hemorrhoids

Postby Scientist2516 » 13 Dec 2013, 20:41

Colonoscopies are not fun, but they would probably recommend you to have one when you reach 50 anyway. So there's that.
I think it makes sense to rule out other sources of bleeding.
OTOH, I did read recently that colonoscopies are done far more often than necessary, and I totally see your point about the expense.

I googled anal abrasions, and the only results that came up were for anal fissures, so I guess they are the same thing?
Anyway, the first thing you need to do (which you probably already know) is get your stools really soft so they don't keep opening that fissure. Diet and water, diet and water..........we all have to do it.

Good luck!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16