Hoping for success

What a thing to deal with...

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hoping for success

Postby powderblue » 06 Jan 2014, 19:34

Fellow sufferers, it only takes another person to go through this to really understand what we are facing.

I'm in my mid 30s, young kids, stressful job and stressful life. While my diet was ok (or so I thought), I have come down with a stomach flu virus in early December, so I could not eat anything for 3 days straight. When I started back to eating, I took one day easy but then increased the food amount and had lots of meat. I also had some Imodium when I did not eat to stop diarrhoea and cramps... Boy, was that a wrong thing to do.

My first bowel movement was probably the biggest in my life, but stupidly enough I did not get the memo, so two days later I went for a night out with beer and a burger.. And then I had the worst constipation ever. I though I was not going to make it right there on the toilet bowl and I pushed super hard and have torn myself.

It still took another few days before I started to get haemorrhoids like symptoms... I was also getting blood on my stool and TP every time I had BM. I went to one doctor.. then another.. tried suppositories and haemorrhoid creams. Nothing helped.. but I finally got an appointment at Rudd Clinic in Toronto, Ontario. They diagnosed me with a large fissure... I dreaded to hear those words, since I have a friend who got one a year ago.

So I am now using the Diltiazem cream, changed my diet and had a day without bleeding, which was great.. then this morning I had another BM which was a bit tougher and that tore me up more with blood on my stool.

This is very discouraging as all of you know, I want to live a full life and I have a family to support. So I'm venting in this forum, hoping that I get as many positive wishes from you and prayers (for those who are doing that) and am looking for support.

I must say, that after having read this many topics on this forum, the outcome is pretty dire - there's not too many cases of people fully healing.

Tomorrow I have a number of important meetings at work, yet I all I have on my mind is this stupid ailment. Bummer.
powderblue
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: Hoping for success

Postby Scientist2516 » 06 Jan 2014, 22:46

Hi Powderblue,
First off, I want to say - don't despair! Lots of people come to the forum, vent, ask for and get good advice, and they do heal, and then they go away and live their lives. There are lots of success stories, so read them, and look for encouragement! People can and do heal. I have healed! There are more and more days when I feel no pain or fear. I'll never totally forget my fissure, because now I know I have to look after my body. And that's positive, because it is good for all of me, not just my butt!

You have my positive wishes and support, and since everyone here knows what you are going through, you'll get loads of good wishes and prayers.

You know that the number one most important thing is soft stools, right? So drink water - lots and lots of water. Laxatives and stool softeners if you need them. Fibre in moderation because fibre can make big bulky stools. You may have to experiment to find the right diet and laxative regimen for you.

The other important thing is to relax your anal sphincter. Diltiazem is a good medication, but if it makes you itch, or is ineffective, don't hesitate to try one of the other meds - nifedipine or nitroglycerine. Gentle heat is an excellent way to relax the sphincter, whether in a bath or sitz bath, or using a heat pad or hot water bottle.

Yes, the fissure can take over your mind. It's hard not to obsess over this painful condition that is so very difficult to talk about. Try not to let it affect your work. Easier said than done! I let it affect mine..........I was sub-par at work for months. I don't have good techniques for keeping it out of your mind, but somebody here probably has a suggestion.

Good luck Powderblue. We are all rooting for you!

:smilyhug:
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby powderblue » 07 Jan 2014, 14:42

Scientist2516, appreciate your words of encouragement.

I've modified my diet significantly, it mostly looks like this now:
Morning: a bowl of Fiber One cereal with just tiny bits of other healthy cereals
Afternoon: soup with some cheese and crackers
Dinner: mixed salad with mostly vegetables
Snacks: apple, some other fruit, nuts

I've also tried to have a BM while squatting, takes a bit to get used to but perhaps it was slightly better. Can't really tell.
powderblue
Salt Bather

Postby Scientist2516 » 07 Jan 2014, 16:14

Sounds good. It's best to cook your vegetables. Raw veg can be too bulky.
Good foods to try are oatmeal, lentils, sweet potatoes, quinoa. Make sure you get enough protein. Go easy on the cheese (it gives some people constipation).

If you don't like squatting, try supporting your anus during a BM. See this thread for helpful discussion:
success-with-colorec-toilet-seat-t7541.html
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby powderblue » 08 Jan 2014, 15:57

Well, today is a second day without any blood and I already had 2 BMs. It burns after them and I also woke up early in the morning feeling a bit of a burn, but this is a huge improvement not to see blood. My stool got really soft as well due to significant diet changes. I must say that while the thought of a proper diet makes me feel good, it also makes my head spin when I think that I'll have to do it for a really long time.

I appreciate all the positive thoughts I was given and am looking at it optimistically. Got to fix this up soon as I've got a lot of other priorities in life. Wish me luck and I will update you on my progress.
powderblue
Salt Bather

Postby owmybum » 09 Jan 2014, 04:37

I'm glad you are finally starting to get some relief!!
It is, unfortunately, a long process, but stick at it..... We are all here routing for you!!

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby powderblue » 10 Jan 2014, 14:24

Alright, here's another update.
The good: I have not seen blood in the last 4 days, primarily due to the diet change taking effect - my stool is now very soft, lots of fiber and water are doing the trick. This is encouraging.
The bad: it hurts a bit during and right after BM, but better than before
The ugly: I am getting a bit of a burning sensation after my morning BM, but around noon out of nowhere I get a really severe burning and I have no idea why. It comes on for a couple of hours and usually disappears towards the evening. I have no idea what's causing it. Not sure if Diltiazem is helping with it or in fact causing it (I use it 3 times a day, outside and inside). Any thoughts on what could be the culprit?
powderblue
Salt Bather

Postby Phil McCrackin » 10 Jan 2014, 21:00

Hi Powderblue,

I have the severe burning/stinging almost every time I apply Rectogesic, but especially after the morning BM. Most of the time it feels like I'm putting out a lit match inside my butt; and sometimes there's just no way I can get my finger inside from the pain. It seems to settle down for the last application at night.. When I'm really careful with my diet it doesn't seem to be as bad.

Good luck!
Phil McCrackin
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby powderblue » 11 Jan 2014, 08:58

Phil McCrackin wrote:Hi Powderblue,

I have the severe burning/stinging almost every time I apply Rectogesic, but especially after the morning BM. Most of the time it feels like I'm putting out a lit match inside my butt; and sometimes there's just no way I can get my finger inside from the pain. It seems to settle down for the last application at night.. When I'm really careful with my diet it doesn't seem to be as bad.

Good luck!

Sheesh, sorry to hear about that. Do you know what causes it? How long has it been going on for you and how long do you think it will?
powderblue
Salt Bather

Postby Phil McCrackin » 11 Jan 2014, 17:25

Well I've had the fissure for almost 3 years but the burning started about 1.5 years ago. Not sure how long it will last or if I'll eventually have the surgery. Apparently it's a small "triangular shaped" fissure, but sometimes the pain is intense. Other times I'm pain free. The fissure feels like a taut piece of dental floss. But the burning only occurs applying the cream! The skin must be very sensitive to cause the burning, I think.
Phil McCrackin
Salt Bather

Topics: 6