please describe your spasms

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

please describe your spasms

Postby havefaith » 08 Jan 2014, 11:24

Hi guys, i am having trouble deciphering whether i am just being whiney, or am in spasm at all.

Here is how it goes, I have 1 confirmed possibly 2 fissures one left and one right posterior. they are both inside the anus. Whenever i try to put creams in, if one side gets brushed, even with lidocaine jelly application, that side will start to feel tighter. most of the time it wont go into full blown all the way up the rectum SPASM with massive pain. However, it feels inflamed, more annoyed and twitchy and in MY Opinion feels like a spasm.

My question to you all is, What are your spasms like? do they range from just dull and swollen feeling, to sharp pains? or are only the sharp pains considered spasms?

Sometimes after i have a bm, even if it wasnt that painful, and i DONT put in nifedipene afterwards i will feel just an overall tightness, not necessarily a twitching but just as if things are getting more narrow.

however usually when i do apply creams, either one side or the other will get brushed and then those feelings of strong tightness come on whichever side got irritated. Is this better than doing nothing? I feel like if i do nothing i dont heal, if i do something i dont heal either. Clearly my mind is playing games.

Thanks for all of your help.
I have faith in you always, i love you like my own son or daughter, when you hurt, i hurt. Let us all be each others guiding light, and heal without anxiety :) Much love to all.
havefaith
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Re: please describe your spasms

Postby pinpin » 08 Jan 2014, 15:29

Hello,

How long period do you suffer already?
How long do you use nifedipine?
Spasms are terrible pain, which is difficult to describe, but it is generally connected to feeling of tightness, pain which irritates in perineum or even in legs, or coccyx.

When spasms starts to act, after some 30 mins you can start feeling also burning on the problematic fissure place. All this is connected to bad blood flow and pain from pain cycle.
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby JHH » 08 Jan 2014, 15:33

My spasms were mostly burning. But also the feeling of fullness (goofball) , sharp shooting pain and throbbing.
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby Ever the Optimist » 08 Jan 2014, 16:50

Hi Faith,
It seems, from reading a few different posts on this issue, that spasms can range from those intense waves of agony, the real knife-type grating, debilitating pain to feelings of pressure, fullness, narrowness, throbbing, less intense pain but nevertheless, the dull & on-going motions after a BM.......
These symptoms changed from the first (when my fissure was new and painful) above to the second, when I was closer to being fully healed (and the fissure was officially chronic)
For me, a BM itself was never that painful - it was the "aftermath" of sensations I got about 20 minutes after, which could last from 2 to 5 hrs an evening. The spasms finally calmed down and I was OK until the following morning and next BM. It was just (what seemed like) an ongoing vicious circle.
It might be just worth having a chat with your CRS to put your mind at rest if you are concerned...
Generally, it seems that if the pain levels are reducing gradually, then the wound is starting to heal, but I definitely wouldn't stop with the cream at this stage.
I can't recall the exact sensations I felt when I applied my cream to my fissure, but I know that I began to feel a sense of "numbness" and gradual relief as the pain intensity reduced.
This is also a good link to follow for more views...........
sphincter-spasm-t4177.html
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby havefaith » 08 Jan 2014, 20:36

thanks for all of your help guys! i am currently suffering from this problem for a bout 4 months now almost. using nifedapine for at least 2.
today i have been experimenting with applying lots of nifedipene+lidocaine cream.... while the 3 bms (my usual) which i have had today. though my pain during those bms was non existent, the constant finger application has led me to feel extremely narrow and tight (more than usual) and a pulling sensation right under my testicles, leading me to believe that it is a spasm. it hasnt been this bad since it was more in its acute stages which worries me that i may have retorn it and just not be able to feel it through all of the lidocaine and nifedapine ointment. is that possible? or would i definitely know if i did some damage with a gloved finger?

i feel sad that even though at the moment my pain is not that high, that i was probably better off on all of those days which i did not use the nifedipene with lidocaine and just used the straight nifedapine.

these are some of the worst spasms i have had, i really hope they subside by tomorrow. perineum and coccyx are definitely getting involved though which leads me to believe the finger has been irritating more than its done good.

sitting on a heating pad now to try and rid myself of this nonsense. thanks to all for your input. i pray for all of us every single day.
I have faith in you always, i love you like my own son or daughter, when you hurt, i hurt. Let us all be each others guiding light, and heal without anxiety :) Much love to all.
havefaith
Salt Bather

Topics: 14