LIS with laser

12 days post LIS. First appointment with CRS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS with laser

Postby Bettyblue » 17 Jan 2014, 04:31

2 day post LIS

I am still feeling very good. But I felt much better the first day. I am not having pain at all, haven't needed any pain medication yet. I am very sore and have a burning sensation like every thing is so raw down there. The cleaning with soap was drying out my bum, so I had to call the doctor and they gave me a dermatologic soap, and it have been so much better. I am sticking to a healthy diet, with a lot of fruit and vegetables, soups, chicken... And drinking tons of water, and of course my Miralax/Movicol. One dose every night ( it have been enough to maintain my poop soft, with the right consistence). I am not taking any sitz bath, but Maybe I will take one tonight with Epsom salts, to see if can sooth the rawness sensation( CRS said it was ok.) I am taking things slow, I took the week off to take care of myself. But essentially the LIS have been a positive experience. So things in my second day are like this:

Pain: Cero pain, haven't used any pain killers. Only thing I have is being very sore and a burning sensation.

Bleeding: some after the LIS and spotting the first day. In my second day no bleeding at all.

BMs : first 2 BMs painless and very easy. My BM today was painless, only a little tingle.But after that I got a burning sensation and a very minimum pain in the LIS that lasted 5 minutes. Then it went away.

Activity: I can go and do whatever I want without any problems at all. The only thing that bothers me is the burning and soreness. I can not apply anything in my bum. My CRS said I shouldn't apply anything for the first 3 to 4 days.

Incontinence: no incontinence

Leakage: no leakage.
Last edited by Bettyblue on 28 Jan 2014, 08:11, edited 4 times in total.
Bettyblue
VIP

Topics: 7

Re: LIS with laser

Postby Hatetopoop » 17 Jan 2014, 10:19

Bettyblue you are doing very good! Just one warning with the epsom salts, it tends to act like a laxative--it has magnesium in it, so if you are already taking Miralax, you may get the runs. Hopefully not..I did it one morning and it was explosive for me. lol Everywhere if you know what I mean...???!! But I found also I cannot take the Miralax. It is too strong so I stick to my psyllium husk fiber pills and Collace Stool softeners. Having the bidet handy I use less the sitz bath but it does relieve the burning and soreness for me. No need to put anything in it but go ahead and try it? Let me know...
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Superfissure » 17 Jan 2014, 18:31

Good news Betty and glad everything has gone well for you. I did have a read yesterday and was going to post a few questions but ran out of time and forgot now what I was going to ask although one question was, did you have to do any bum prep before surgery? Ie, did you have to use a laxative to have a good 'clear out' first?

Please do keep us up to date on your progress. I think I will need to get this done at some point. I've just about got into recovery phase with the fissure but if it happens again and especially if it retears again soon I'm pushing for LIS. Great that you're taking the week off - I would too.

So although sore it sounds like you are not anywhere near having the pain of having a fissure and still early days yet, I'm sure you'll be fully cured soon!
Superfissure
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Bettyblue » 18 Jan 2014, 03:57

Supperfissure thank you. No I didn't have any laxative or enema or any thing like that. My CRS don't considered it necessary. But I wish I could have had it, because 2 hours after the operation I had to run to the toilet for my first BM post LIS and I had to rip my bandages and it hurt like hell. The BM was painless but it was very scary, I though I was going to rip something down there. The only thing they told me to do was no eat or drink any thing since midnight until after the surgery.
I feel very good superfissure and I notice that when I have to clean the site where the LIS is ( I have to wrap my finger in a gauze, and clean the site for 10 to 15 seconds. It doesn't hurt at all. Before I couldn't touch the area because It was very sensitive and used to hurt a lot. So I guess is a big change. Today I had another painless BM and the soreness and irritation is less too. I am sticking to a healthy diet and the Miralax. But my CRS wants me to stop using the Miralax one month post LIS. See how it goes. I will have my first appointment post LIS on Monday. I will let you know how it went. But I feel very happy and confident that the LIS has been a success.

I am very glad to hear that you are feeling better every day and that you are in your way to recovery. Yes I think you should give it a try to heal without surgery. But don't get so crazy with the beer, the wine, the food and the party (now that the Super Bowl is close in case you live in USA)Be a good boy :D
Last edited by Bettyblue on 18 Jan 2014, 06:44, edited 4 times in total.
Bettyblue
VIP

Postby Bettyblue » 18 Jan 2014, 04:07

Hatetopoop, no, I was not going to take Epsom salt. I was going to add it to my sitz bath. I did it last night and today I feel les sore and irritated so I think it helped. I can't not take psyllium because it gave me bulky BMs. It is amazing how everybody is so different. For example for me Miralax has been a blessing. Today it has been very good, much better than yesterday. Take care.
Bettyblue
VIP

Postby Hatetopoop » 18 Jan 2014, 04:11

LOL no I know you do not ingest Epsom salt. he he...For me, the same day I did Miralax I also did the Epsom salt, so I think one of the two did not agree with me. Yes, seems different things work for different people. My post operative nurse told me no Miralax, no Epsom salt this week. Only stool softeners and fiber. If you see on the package, the Epsom salt has magnesium and that can act as a laxative. So because I go so easy, I cannot do those two things. :-)
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Hatetopoop » 18 Jan 2014, 04:12

PS I'm glad you're feeling better. :-)
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby FissureHome » 26 Jan 2014, 05:38

update!?
FissureHome
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby Bettyblue » 27 Jan 2014, 14:24

Update 12 days post LIS

Well this is another uneventful report of my surgery. I continue doing wonderful. I was already to my first appointment post-LIS. The CRS told me my incision already healed externally ( internally it will take a couple of weeks to heal still). He also told me my risk of infection was now almost zero (almost zero, since in medicine Zero risk doesn't exist). So he told me also to have a normal life, eat normal and resume sport activities except riding my bicycle. I should wait 2 weeks more to do it. That was nice to hear, because I haven't ridden my bicycle since my fissure started, due to pain. The examination was not painful, but after I left I bleed a little bit the first day and I had a estrange feeling the next day in the LIS incision, I was afraid he rip something down thee. But after 2 days it went away and I haven't had any problem since. According to my CRS I probably will be able to feel completely normal again between 6 and 1 year after surgery. But every body is different and heal in a different way.

So this is what it have happened until now:

Pain: it have been zero. Since the day of the surgery. No pain killers at all.

BMs: Nice and painless. I am still taking Miralax. But in one month I will try to stop.
I have had days of loose stools and days where I have had more than one BM a day. In the past before my surgery. That was enough for sent my fissure to the roof. With some discomfort an irritation for several days. But after the surgery. Nothing happen after the BMs. No irritation no discomfort. Just very normal.

Diet: I have been eating a very healthy diet and tons of water. But I have also started to introduce some foods that I haven't eaten for a while. Pizza, some tapas, beer, wine. I have been doing that little by little and in small quantities without any problem at all.

Sensitivity: before my surgery I couldn't touch my anal area. It was very sensible and painful to the touch. After the LIS the sensitivity in that area disappeared, also is not longer painful to the touch.

Irritation: I had a lot of anal irritation and burning even after I healed my fissure naturally. It was always present and bother me to the point to need some kind of ointment every day to make it bearable. After my LIS the irritation and burning have been going down quite a bit, although I still have some. but it is bothering me less and less.

After 12 days post LIS I can't be more happy with the results. I feel that I got my life back and finally I am starting to live like a normal person again.
Bettyblue
VIP

Postby Hatetopoop » 27 Jan 2014, 19:20

YAY!!! Betty so happy for you! I too feel like I'm getting back to normal. I am also dying to go back to my workouts...I am scared to resume still since they are pretty rigorous and some weight bearing..I will have to measure myself and take it slow. I too have a little burning sometimes and my tag removal site is still a bit tender to the tough. But I can sit longer and longer with no pain. I am super happy no more fissure pain and I thank the good Lord every day for my recovery and decision.
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist