CRS says no healing without anoplasty

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Postby woundedspirit » 31 Jan 2014, 08:42

Hello dear fellow sufferers. God bless you all. If I did not have this forum to come to I just don't know what I would do. I am so sad this morning. I feel trapped in a silent world. I am so tired of pain. 2 years of pain, I am tired of pretending I can have some kind of normal life, tired of pretending I am okay to my friends and family, tired of days on the couch, tired of missing events, tired of working everything I do around around a BM. I am just tired of it all.

And I am scared. My CRS says my fissures will not heal without an anoplasty. I believe him because it does not matter how consistently soft my BM's are I tear every time. Nothing has helped. I have used everything and done everything including LIS. Too much scar tissue from past hemorrhoid surgery. So he wants to cut out the scar tissue and fissures and bring rectal tissue down over the area. Now doesn't that sound just horrifying? So what will prevent more scar tissue from developing after that? And what am I trading in for? What will happen to that area in 10 years from now? If they would have told me this could happen after hemorrhoid surgery I would have never had that done. What are they not telling me now? Can you imagine what it is going to take to get through and heal from that one?? I just don't know if I have it in me. And yet I don't think I can go on much longer like this. Any thoughts on this would be so appreciated. Thanks. :(
Hemorrhoid Surgery
Scar Tissue
2 Anal Fissures
Failure of All Topical Treatments
Failed LIS
[size=85]EUA and Fissurectomy
Hoping to avoid Flap Surgery
woundedspirit
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Re: CRS says no healing without anoplasty

Postby Bettyblue » 31 Jan 2014, 09:52

Hi woundedspirit, I am so sorry that things are not working out for you. I really feel for you. But look it from a more positive view - I know is easier to say it that do it- . It is a blessing that you still have another alternative after the other ones failed. So you can finally live a normal life. It seems the surgery is not as bad as it sounds and you will no have a risk of incontinence, that's another positive aspect to account for.
This is an study about anoplasty vs fissurectomy
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21486553
Looks like a positive outcome to me for anoplasty patients.
An this is another study that supports fissurectomy with anoplasty
http://www.news-medical.net/news/201207 ... rgery.aspx
Both have very positives outcomes.
I know is scary but try to stay positive and hopeful that finally this will be the last step in your road to recovery.
Write down all your doubts and ask you CRS in order to have some peace of mind.
I wish the best of luck. Many blessings and take care.
Bettyblue
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby Bettyblue » 31 Jan 2014, 09:54

P.S Also look in this forums. There is a lot of people who have had anoplasty.
Bettyblue
VIP

Postby Bettyblue » 31 Jan 2014, 09:55

Bettyblue
VIP

Postby suzyljank » 31 Jan 2014, 10:37

Hi woundedspirit. Your story sound very similar to mine. I had hemmie surgery and developed scar tissue which I didn't realize I had. I got 2 fissures, one healed the last one didn't. Had LIS, didn't work. I tried to cope for 5 more years and finally I just couldn't. Last April I had two advancement flaps. CRS removed scar tissue and fissure and skin tags. Ouch but well worth it. You can't prevent scar tissue from reforming it just happens but to keep it stretchable (especially the first 2 years post surgery) dilation helps tremedously. One week after surgery I had to start dilation. I thought there was no way I could do this. It took me a while to be able get the hang of it but I'm now 9 months post surgery and it just takes a moment. It's kind of like exercise for the sphincter muscle. I only have to do it every other day now but it's no big deal. Try not to be too afraid. It's uncomfortable but not as bad as you think and just think once the surgery is over you'll be on the way to recovery. Wishing you a speedy recovery Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby woundedspirit » 31 Jan 2014, 15:20

Thank you both so much. Bettyblue - I read the links provided. Much appreciated as are your kind works. I plan on making a list of all my concerns and have another appointment with this doctor to satisfy all my questions. I am not feeling super comfortable with him because he told me it would only take a few weeks to heal from this and I don't believe that. Also he is in his late 70's and I am sure he is able but that kind of makes me feel uncomfortable I think he should be retired by now. But he is one of only two in my insurance group so I will make an appointment for the other one as well and see what they have to say and what my impression is.

Suzy - Do you know if there are any long term consequences to this surgery. Like what can happen in 10 years from now. I did not know hemorrhoid surgery could cause fissures and I am wondering if this surgery can cause something else. I have heard many say that anymore surgery or manipulation of the area is not good. Also how did the first BM go? Do you feel that you are as close to normal that you can get? How long did it take where you felt you could return to work or do you feel as though you will not really be able to return to work because of the constant attention of diet, drinking water, dilitation ect. requires? Would you say recovery from this surgery was more or less painful than a hemorrhoidectomy? I am sure one could develope another anal fissure if strict attention is not paid all the time to prevent one. Just so full of questions. Thank you for any information from your point of view - and I will speak to my doctors as well to give me as much confidence as possible. Thank you for your well wishes and for taking a moment to comment of my post.
Hemorrhoid Surgery
Scar Tissue
2 Anal Fissures
Failed LIS
woundedspirit
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby suzyljank » 01 Feb 2014, 11:39

Hemorrhoid surgery can cause anal stenosis which can cause fissures, it depends on how severe the narrowing is. Anoplasty is actually used for people who aren't candidates for LIS sometimes. They do not cut the muscle when they do this surgery. If they do LIS they do cut the muscle just a bit. To answer some of your questions. You're right, too much surgery is not good. I didn't have a choice when I had my surgery. I had narrowed so severely I couldn't even get a q tip in, that's why I had 2 flaps done. I think hemorrhoid surgery was worse. When I had that surgery years ago I was in the hospital for a week and even with pain meds it was brutal. With the flap surgery I was in the hospital for 3 days (that's because they don't normally do 2 flaps at once). They managed my pain very well. It never really got above a 6. Mostly stayed about a 3. By the time I came home I was taking regular ibuprofen and 1/2 norco at bedtime. My first bm was diarrhea and it didn't hurt, just burned a little. My first formed bm was painless, it just kind of fell out. I remember how stunned I was that I had a fully formed normal bm. Recovery was slow, the first 6 weeks were rough but each day I got a little better. I didn't drive for a little over 2 months but that's because I had 2 flaps and you can't slide on your butt for a while so you don't damage anything. Pain wise after 2 weeks it's very manageable. You have to be careful to keep the area really clean and dry and not to put tension on the flaps. I've passed the 9 month mark and I feel like I'm doing well. I also have IBS so I can't over do the fruits and veggies. I try to start off my day with shredded wheat and a little fruit. And I'm mindful of how much liquid I drink but other than that I eat a normal diet. The dilation is done once a day whenever you want so that doesn't interfer with my life. My doctor gave me a 2 year recovery time. It can take a while for things to calm down in that area after so much trauma. Because technically I still have a functional form of stenosis I take about a half a dose of miralax in tea at bedtime. I like miralax because you can adjust it up or down as needed and my CRS recommeneded it. I will always take this. I love that I can use the restroom like anyone else now. I have a hand held bidet to rinse things off and I pat dry with toilet paper. If I'm not home I use moistened wipes. I still get scared sometimes, I guess once you've had a fissure and so much pain you never forget and you tend to be careful, but I think that's a good thing. Makes you take care of yourself. As far as getting another fissure I suppose it could happen but with a little care and staying on top of things I think that helps. For me if I feel like my bms are a little sluggish I just increase the miralax a bit for a day or two. I understand why you have so many questions. I was terrified before my surgery and talked myself out of it countless times. I'm glad I had it done though. If you need a single flap done you should probably be able to go back to work in a few weeks but it all depends on how fast you heal. The one thing I can't stress enough is follow your doctors orders to the letter. I did this even when I was tired and I didn't want to, and my husband helped. It made a big difference. Good luck at the doctors and I hope you find relief soon. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby woundedspirit » 01 Feb 2014, 15:56

I cannot express enough how much I appreciate you responding to my questions. My hemorrhoid surgery was also brutal and I too was in the hospital for a week. If this surgery's pain can be anything less than that I think I can to do it. My BM's are always soft due to diet and the miracle of Miralax. I had 3 days of good healing then this morning as soon as I started to go I felt everything tear with dripping red blood in the toilet. It is always the same cycle. No matter how small or soft I keep the BM's as soon as I get to a certain stage of healing everything tears open again. I know this is due to the scar tissue not being able to stretch. I have soaked, taken pain meds, and used Lidocaine ointment and have still been on the couch all day in horrible pain laying on my side. I cannot go on like this.

You have given me great courage today. I am going to make an appointment with this other CRS, make sure all my questions are satisfied, choose a surgeon and face what I have to face. I have two large fissures but maybe if I act now I will only have to have one flap. I have a wonderful and loving husband of 25 years who has been with me through every step so far and I know he will be my anchor through this too. He said if I wanted he would paint our bathroom any color I wanted and redecorate it any way I wanted before the surgery because I would probably have to spend so much time in there. I am so blessed by his love. I don't think all that will be necessary but am thinking a bidet would be very useful and will probably find it beneficial for the rest of my life. I know I will have to be very careful the rest on my life and as you say that is a good thing.

I pray God's richest blessings for you and yours and as you continue to heal. Again my great thanks and appreciation for your input. It has helped me so much. Now that I am thinking of it, you probably do understand more than anyone my level of gratitude. I will keep my story updated as I know what others stories have meant to me. Thank you.
Hemorrhoid Surgery
Scar Tissue
2 Anal Fissures
Failed LIS
woundedspirit
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby woundedspirit » 01 Feb 2014, 16:01

I will be so happy when I can use the restroom again like everyone else too! You have helped me stay positive today despite my pain. I hope something really great happens to you today!
Hemorrhoid Surgery
Scar Tissue
2 Anal Fissures
Failed LIS
woundedspirit
Proctosphincteranalogist