Recent LIS surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Recent LIS surgery

Postby kathmandu » 10 Apr 2014, 03:12

Hi Guys,

I've been reading this forum since December last year to listen to other people's problem and see if they were similar to mine to get a better understanding. I am here to help. My anal fissure re-teared multiple times up since December and up until April. It was on and off. The recent re-tear made me realize, I cant live like this anymore, I am only 25 years old and should be enjoying life. The main cause of this was junk food and I knew it. I abused it so much because I had quick metabolism and didn't gain any weight and this was the result.

So I am posting here today to let you all know that if you're a long sufferer or someone who is considering surgery please do it and do not hesitate. Its a week since my surgery and I feel better already. My anal fissure hasn't been hurting at all! However, the first two days were rough, first bowel movement was the scariest, but you will be surprised, it doesnt hurt that much, only stings.

I tried every method possible to heal my fissure - magnesium, nitroglycerin ointment, high fibre diet (3 fruits a day, brown rice, 2.5l water, 2 cups of veggies), change to squatting in the toilet, and taking movicol to soften the stool. However, somehow after two weeks, it will always re-tear, maybe it was all in my head that made me so stress. But whatever, enough is enough, I went for surgery. Not once I am regretting it. I was scared and didnt want to do it because I've reading here with people who suffer even more after surgery but dont let that get to you. Everyone is different!

If you're considering on doing the surgery, here are tips I would like to offer so you can have a quick recovery. It is very important to have a sitz bath every bowel movement. When it stings or burns, go have a sitz bath straight away with epsom salt (not necessary). Drink movicol (osmotic laxative, i took 1 satchel) before dinner so you can have a soft stool the next morning. Drink lots of water (2-2.5litres) and eat high fibre diet. First 2-3 days will be rough. You will sting, but its not that bad. Pain scale from 1-10 is 2 or 3. Try to "let go" when you have a bowel movement even though you will be scared of the pain then hop into sitz bath for 10-15minutes straight after each time. I cant stress this enough, sitz bath is the key here! Take painkiller if you must. I was prescribed with endone and metronide antibiotics. Put a pad for your underwear to prevent blood from leaking into your underwear. There will also be a little red lump but will disappear. Do not worry! After 2-3 days, you might itch but sitz bath once again fixed it.

So that's all I have to say for now. If you have any question, please ask me and I will be more than happy to answer your questions. Also I have a week off work so I will checking here frequently!

Thank you guys!
kathmandu

Topics: 1

Re: Recent LIS surgery

Postby sotiredofthis » 10 Apr 2014, 14:06

So happy to read this. My surgery is set for April 28th after 19 months of this. It's so good to read success stories!
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33