Q: How to reduce a sentinel tag?

sentinel tag irritation...grrr.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Q: How to reduce a sentinel tag?

Postby ut_outdoorsman » 12 Jun 2014, 13:30

hello all!

So, I had a refissuring a few weeks ago, but with a recent change of diet (oats in the morning, refried beans and rice in the evening), things are on the mend.

But this time I seem to have developed quite the sentinel pile. I can see it in the mirror. It provides a small amount of discomfort as I go about my day. Right now I am just trying to stabilize and prevent things from getting out of control. I might be going in for LIS at the end of the summer because it seems like this is just a never-ending cycle, but I need keep things in control for that to happen.

Has anyone had success reducing their sentinel tags? What worked for you?
ut_outdoorsman
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: Q: How to reduce a sentinel tag?

Postby Apes » 12 Jun 2014, 22:27

Not sure how to reduce it but I get pain relief from baths and ice. Ice is more for my hem my but if the tag swells ice might help. I only ice it for 5-10 minutes max. Good luck
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby Ever the Optimist » 13 Jun 2014, 13:31

Hi,
Sentinel piles seem to come in all forms and various sizes.
I have something to this effect but it acts like an internal pile in the area the fissure was...My fissure was never externally visible and could only be confirmed by an Examination Under Anaesthetic.
I know for some they can be pretty visible and quite large but generally they do become less bothersome over time and some surgeons are reluctant to remove them if they are not causing too much of an issue.
Mine also provides some discomfort and the sensations I get are more of a constant feeling that there is like a fleshy lump in there, occasional itching and this is worsened by harder or too runny BMs, which aggravate the area generally. I also use ice, which is massively relieving! and alternate with Coconut Oil, Prep H or Anusol if particularly irritating!
It's very possible that a surgeon might remove it during a potential LIS procedure and it's certainly something you could discuss with them. There's always a small risk that surgically excising them could lead to further issues but again this is something you should talk about.
I did ask about mine & the removal of the pile/ scar tissue, but my CRS was pretty anti this and advised that only if things became really troublesome then I should consider the option. I recognise I have this on a daily basis through some minor discomfort now & again but I can live with it and when I think that a Sentinel pile forms to protect the fissure area, this is why it remains there and continues to protect that vulnerable area.
Wishing you all the very best in your recovery :)
Apes, can I ask why you ice only 5-10 mins max? I leave an ice pack on for a while, but is there a reason for not doing this?? Thanks :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby mmklinemm » 14 Jun 2014, 20:05

The first time I ever heard the term "anal fissure" was from my OB/GYN. I went in for a check up a couple years ago, and I asked about this lump I had. It wasn't causing any problems, but it being there was worrisome enough. She said it was just an anal fissure - like it was no big deal. She told me to apply hydrocortisone if it ever bothered me. Every now and then, I would, and after a few applications it would reduce down to almost nothing. I'm pretty sure what I have is a sentinel pile. I'll find out for sure on my Monday when I see a CRS. If it is, then hydrocortisone works wonders for relieving itchiness and reduction in size. After researching AFs, I know it isn't smart to use it too often, though.
mmklinemm
VIP

Postby Ever the Optimist » 15 Jun 2014, 04:34

Hi mm,
Completely agree with you on the effects of HC. It's the one thing I "reserve" for particularly bad times because it really does the trick for me too. It's just a shame it can't be used more frequently.
Will be really interesting to hear what your CRS says in Monday's appointment....please update!! All the best :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Fissurefrustration » 15 Jun 2014, 07:14

I'm in the same boat as you,

I had a particularly bad AF which is now I believed nearly healed? however now a tag has formed where it was then comes from my anal canal radiating to outside my sphincter. I believe that's whats causing my pain now as I'm having a constant 'pulling' pain? especially when i stand up, turn left or right etc. the HC just makes me re-tear so I avoid it like the plague if at all possible.

The thoughts I have right now:

Can't the ST be frozen like normal skin tags? or lazered off? or are those silly questions?

J
Suffering since June 2013

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Manuka Honey / Coconut oil / Aloe
tag excision X 2, botox x 3
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Topics: 56

Postby ut_outdoorsman » 16 Jun 2014, 16:44

Thank you all for your comments. This sentinel tag stuff is weird, right? Mmkinemm and Fissurefrustration,
I also don't know what the condition of my fissure is because I can't differentiate fissure from the sentinel tag. Very confusing.

I know that sentinel tags are generally just skin and NOT hemorrhoids, but because it is such a hard little lump, I'm wondering if it is, in fact, a pile. In which case, I wonder if my use of nitro is making it worse...because it encourages bloodflow, whereas most hemorrhoid treatments aim at reducing it (as far as I understand).

Thank you for the advice regarding the ice and other applications. My condition is not 'bad', but I just don't know how to make it go away...
ut_outdoorsman
Salt Bather