Big mistake: Extra Chunky Peanut Butter and/corn chips

Even with Colace, major spasms when standing or walking

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Big mistake: Extra Chunky Peanut Butter and/corn chips

Postby Deleted User 3641 » 01 Aug 2014, 11:47

I can only lie down today. Tried walking and standing. Walking immediately causes major spasms. I am 2wks post botox/fissurectomy and stopped psyllium a few days ago due to major constipation. Started getting very loose stool even with plenty of fiber. Had major spasms then, but loose stool again today and worse spasms.

Just took one fifth of a teaspoon of psyllium since i seem to bind up with even half a teaspoon. Hoping with that I can get my stool to bind properly. Notices small hard pieces in my stool when wiping.

Hoping i didn't reinjure this. Feels so painful right now. Does anyone know if these symptoms are the sign of a retear?
Deleted User 3641

Re: Big mistake: Extra Chunky Peanut Butter and/corn chips

Postby Rachael 1984 » 01 Aug 2014, 11:56

Hi MO,
You may not have retorn, but the area may be irritated. I find the looser the stool, the more pain I have... This is beacause when the stool is looser the anal pressure is higher, so I think this causes more spasm and pain. It's very hard to regulate the right amount of Fibre and stool softener. Everyone is different and it may take a while to work this out. Remember what goes in needs to come out! What is Colace? Is that the Us version of Fybogel? I tried Fybogel and it only made things worse! Everything was too bulky and inconsistent, so I switched to Movicol, Vit C and Magnesium. I think it's difficult to always produce the right BM consistency, but the formed soft ones are always better for me.... Now it sounds like it's making your stool too loose, so could you try some insoluble Fibre in your diet which will bulk you up?
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Deleted User 3641 » 01 Aug 2014, 12:54

Hi Rachael,

Colace is Docusate Sodium. Maybe Docusol in the UK? it is only a stool softener. I seem to be sensitive to anything in normal dosages. Movicol or Miralax here causes up to 5 BMs a day for me at a normal dose. very irritating.
Yesterday i had a loose BM in the AM after breakfast (oatmeal, apples, blueberries and papaya) so i immediately (while in pain of course) made 2 eggs with two pieces of whole grain toast and an apple. a few hours later i had peanut butter (chunky bits in it) on whole grain bread. for lunch it was a small amount of basmati rice and lentils wih a pear. in the evening i had lentils with rice again with papaya. not sure if i need to just eat a lot more rice or bread. i seem to be getting enough soluable fiber.

in the morning i always start with a 16oz glass of warm water with fresh lemon. Would that make everything too soft? or maybe i am taking in too much water.
Deleted User 3641

Postby Rachael 1984 » 02 Aug 2014, 03:04

Hi MO,
Ah so it's docusate sodium.... I've never taken that, I know it's a stool softener so it won't do any harm, it'll just draw water to the bowel. I'm sure the foods you are eating are all pretty much soluble Fibre, so it might be worth cutting back on some of it and see if that helps? Eggs always bind me up something terrible! I ate an omelette once... And I had a re-tear the very next day.... Do you have IBS?
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Deleted User 3641 » 02 Aug 2014, 06:03

Hi, Rachael. No, I do not have IBS. I took some weightlifting supplements a week before the original tear about 5 months ago. I had strange runny stool that week and then the end of the week hard a really hard stool. I noticed this burning feeling for years actually and shrugged it off. I had been taking a similar supplement then that cause frequent diarrhea. Hindsight is always 20/20. Stopped the supplements after that and no more runny stool.

Well...had breakfast just 20 minutes ago. Hopefully, my day will start and end without pain. I am praying. I got up a few hours early so I can hopefully go out with my family to eat for the first time in 5 months. I get really emotional about that kind of stuff and it is hard to not cry, but this conditon really tries to own my life and I am trying desperately to get it back.
Deleted User 3641

Postby Apes » 02 Aug 2014, 07:47

Miserableone, Have you had any relief since the botox. It typically takes about 7 days to fully kick in and start to feel the results. After that, for me things got progressively better. There were still days early on where I would have pain but I had many more good days then bad. I would stay away from corn chips and chuck peanut butter. find foods that work and stick to them. If things don't start to get better call your CRS, you may need to take the next step, LIS. Give this some time, maybe keep a diary, food, BMS pain level. Good luck
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby Deleted User 3641 » 02 Aug 2014, 08:09

Apes, I noticed that the spasms came back so it is as if the botox stopped working or is that to be expected after 2 wks especially with the constipation and diarrhea I have experienced? I just had a BM this morning with a bulkier soft stool but spasms 20 minutes later even with a sitz bath. The spasms were bad but not as bad as yesterday. Yesterday I took valium and motrin. Today so far only Valium but it is still spasming slightly. I am afraid of the long term effects of LIS. In my later years I may have chronic incontinence. I am 42 and have always been in decent shape physically and active. Just afraid that I won't be able to do the things I loved to do like workout and weightlifting. My insurance ran out but I start a new job soon. With taking more downtime for a more serious surgery I have to consider the financial implications. I know my health comes first but I need to get this under control. It took me a few months with diltiazem to get to a point of minimal spasms. Not sure if this will take just as long but I may need to give it more time before another surgery.
Deleted User 3641

Postby Apes » 02 Aug 2014, 08:38

I am similar to you in thinking, I'm 51 and would rather avoid LIS if possible. However, many people on the forum have written about incontinence due to LIS and would seem that there is a large range of what is to be considered incontinence, from passing gas to have leakage after a BM. My doctor said if I had LIS she would be very conservative to avoid the worst. I would be interested to know how much botox you received? You also had a fissurectomy, that can explain the current spasms as it may just take longer to start feeling the effects of botox. I don't believe there is any way the botox stopped working. Give it time, notice if symptoms are subsiding and you are having more better days. Did you have any other complications in the area before?
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Postby Deleted User 3641 » 02 Aug 2014, 09:19

Apes, there were no complications before or after surgery. I just have medium sized internal hemmies which really haven't bothered me. The CRS told me that he would be "cleaning up" the fissure by basically reinjuring it. Maybe I am feeling this pain more now since I reduced my pain killers and introduced more fiberous food after the surgery. The pain was so great today that I had to force myself to ensure while moaning in agony. My wife made some eggs and toast with some apples which I have been trying for the last few days to try and stop the spasm. It seemed to help. Not sure if it is just the fact the food/gas is being pushed through the intestines but something caused the spasms to subside mostly. I still feel it but the painkillers kicked in as well. I just want to get to a point where I start to see lessening in the spasms. At least I will know there is progress.

Maybe the botox is working but with the level ofn pain, it is hard to tell. Once the inflammation/irritation goes down gas seems to pass and then pain subsides. Just praying for a miracle of some kind. God knows I try.
Deleted User 3641

Postby Apes » 02 Aug 2014, 09:34

I had bad spasms up to day 10. I kept a diary, after that I had more good days then bad but still have notes of pain, and soreness. I have a note on day 26 that I had aches from tailbone to testicle that lasted most of the day. That was my classic fissure symptom before botox but at that time it was an incapacitating spasm. Alot of notes even after day 26 of being sore after a BM. I also have an internal hem, it doesn't bother me but i have an external hem and developed a sentinel tag. When they swelled, usually after BM I would ice them for just 5-10 min and they would start to feel better. I was able to really take care of myself, as I work from home. The more active you are the more it can act up. As soon as mine would start irritating me I would try and relax. I also think sleeping with no bottoms on helps. I was actually thinking of posting that in success stories. Stay with plan, if you were healthy before i believe you have a great chance to recover from botox.
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP