Dietary fiber

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Dietary fiber

Postby Apes » 29 Aug 2014, 08:39

So i have had a week of very loose BMS. I had changed nothing in my diet, which includes using Benefiber no stool softener. So yesterday I decided to cut down the Benefiber and add 1tsp of metamucil. Something i have preached against. Today my BM was much better and for the first time i feel like i emptied out. For full disclosure last night I tried to sabotage myself, and broke down and had a cheese burger, fries and a beer. Which helped my BM??? I'll assume the metamucil.
But my real question is the difference between Benefiber and Metamucil and how to read the label. They must make the body react differently, one dissolves in water one thickens. I cut the metamucil out months ago when i felt it bulked me up to much. The label on Benefiber says 3g soluble fiber and 3 grams dietary fiber per dose, Metamucil says 3g soluble and 2g dietary fiber. Is dietary fiber insoluble fiber?
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Re: Dietary fiber

Postby owmybum » 29 Aug 2014, 10:14

Sorry, can't help you there, but must say I'm so pleased you relaxed enough to eat a cheeseburger and fries washed down with a beer.... Good for you!
I have found that too much fibre and not alot else usually makes things worse for me.

Maybe it's just the fact you are in less pain, feeling more relaxed, your bum is more relaxed, so normal everyday food is not so much of a problem??

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby mmklinemm » 29 Aug 2014, 14:12

My bottle of Metamucil says Dietary Fiber 3g, Soluble Fiber 2 g. That means it has 3g total dietary fiber, which consists of 2g soluble and 1g insoluble. The Benfiber is entirely made up of soluble fiber. Hope this helps...

PS - I'm envious of your burger. My mouth is watering.
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13

Postby Apes » 29 Aug 2014, 19:44

That helps a lot and explains my BM. I HAVE NOT BEEN HAVING ENOUGH insoluble fiber and the Metamucil helped.
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Postby Savaici » 29 Aug 2014, 21:29

I use Metamucil too. The cinnamon wafer ones, eating one a day. I was having two, cut back gradually to one with no problem. I have a treat from time to time too, Apes. I never know what will affect me, so try to do everything in moderation. Sometimes I just yearn for something I used to be able to just eat without a thought, but know that I have to be strict (boring) with my yearnings and just have the smallest taste.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby jlm1 » 30 Aug 2014, 09:55

I am also glad you had a treat!! I am still too afraid to eat anything too crazy.......
So much calculating with the soluble and insoluble fiber, geez!!! We have to be so careful. This could be a full time job, lol
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Apes » 30 Aug 2014, 12:56

jlm, at your stage i would not have thought about a treat. i hear you making progress, so happy for you. I guess school starts this week. My son's girlfriend got a teaching job in China town public school. good luck and stay on the right track.
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Postby jlm1 » 31 Aug 2014, 14:01

Thanks, and yes school starts this week. I've had a little bit of pain and discomfort but it's certainly much better. No more 5 hour spasms after a bm. But I still have reminders that I am not healed. I am very nervous about starting work and I think the stress is throwing off my system already. But what can you do, have to work! I'm hoping that my body adjusts to the new schedule.....
Believe me, the pain is not that far away that I will do anything crazy, lol! My family and some friends really don't get it though. They think that I am ok now and don't understand my need to be close to home, to take it easy, not do long drives anywhere. I think I am healing but since I look a lot better, it's deceptive. I see the doc again in a month and just hope that this bastard heals.......During my last appointment she said that sometimes people need another round of botox or sometimes they get it every year to avoid surgery. Of course, I am not there yet but really don;t want to be on the botox maintenance plan!!
That's good for your sons gf but sounds like a long commute from Connecticut!
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Apes » 31 Aug 2014, 19:37

Nobody can truly understand unless they went through what we have, not for a day but months of suffering. I'm so happy you are moving in the right direction and still taking such good care.
My sons GF lives in Brooklyn and my son lives in NYC while attending NYU, I live in CT.
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP