What does healing feel like?

Not sure if I'm on the path to recovery.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

What does healing feel like?

Postby trymcnl » 15 Sep 2014, 13:37

So I've been dealing with this mild butt pain for about 2 months now. My GI prescribed me Rectiv and I've been using that for almost 3 weeks now. It's helped a GREAT deal and as long as I'm consistent with applying it, all I feel is a slight itch inside my rectum after a bowel movement. I've never noticed any blood, even after I first felt the sharp pain, and thankfully I've never had any faint-inducing pain (like I've read some people have) during a BM. I've been taking stool softeners and drinking TONS of water, but just want to know for those who have healed a fissure, how can you tell?
trymcnl

Topics: 3

Re: What does healing feel like?

Postby Ever the Optimist » 15 Sep 2014, 15:20

Hi Trymcnl,
Welcome! and actually, you sound like you are doing pretty well in healing your fissure already.......
I think the biggest sign of healing is the diminishing intensity of pain, which kind of subsides and becomes more of a dull throbbing type of ache/ discomfort. It sounds like you are on top of things and doing all the right things too and maybe, your fissure is already healed - they all heal at very different rates.
I think you will be more certain once you discontinue the use of the Rectiv and you just need to give things a few more weeks to see what happens. I would imagine that if the fissure has healed quickly and is still classified as "acute" that it will give you less discomfort and possibly no further pain or trouble as opposed to one becomes chronic, where, although pain levels are reduced greatly, there might still be ongoing pressure symptoms or spasms, aches & twinging.
Diltiazem helped heal my fissure and I reached a level similar to what you describe right now. Once I stopped the cream, I never really knew for certain that it had fully healed until I saw my CRS again for an anoscopy a few months later and then it was medically confirmed ( I also never bled) .......But it is possible it had of course, healed a lot sooner. I certainly reached a stage sooner where things were much improved. The itching you feel could relate to the healing process. I think only a CRS is truly able to establish when a fissure heals, unless of course, you are fortunate and any pain/ discomfort simply goes away and you feel like nothing ever happened down there.........
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby cuzco » 16 Sep 2014, 00:41

Same here. Fissure happened exactly 2 months from today due to bad constipation. I only experienced pain the first two weeks, but it went away after applying Rectiv twice a day.

Now I only get some minor swelling after a BM that usually goes away after 20m. On bad days where I'm stressed I feel some dryness/tension in the anus. I had a scope up there 4 days ago and the Dr could still see the fissure. But I definitely feel better than 1 month ago.

My guess is that I'm 80% healed and have another month or so.
cuzco
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby JHH » 16 Sep 2014, 15:12

Yes. Like ETO wrote, less and less pain, then itching and weired sensations, and then last the irritation. Just remember its a rollarcoaster, and there will still be bad days for a long time.

I healed up almost a year ago, and now I can have weeks with no issues at all, then suddently I get a few days with irritation, and then Im fine again. And its still improving even after all this time.
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion