is this normal?

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

is this normal?

Postby jlm1 » 24 Oct 2014, 09:41

Hi all,

I had procedure to fix a simple fistula on Oct 8th. I have come to the conclusion that doctors are never accurate about recovery. I was told I would be ok in a week and this is not true. I guess it depends on what one considers ok! I am def getting better and am lucky that I was able to take off of work all this time but I must go back on Monday. The crs also said that she removed a part of the lovely skin tag that I now have to keep the hemmie company. So it's a procedure to go to the bathroom. Like I said, it is all getting better it's just very slow......It takes me a few hours to do my bathroom routine in the morning and my system is all off....probably from months of this crap!
Yesterday after I had a bm, I noticed a string of clear mucus that I believe came from the anal area. But it's hard to be sure...could have come from the other area. Sorry if this is TMI!! Anyone else experience this?
I also still feel sore in the area and I think it's still swollen. Does this sound right to you? I saw the doctor last week and she said all looked good. I see her again next Friday. I don't want to be alarmist and call so much but I have no reference for this. My doctor is great and returns all calls but I feel better when I hear from others who have had the same thing as I am often told that healing is individual. I hate living in fear of the fissure returning and/or another fistula. I recently saw a natural path doctor hoping to cure the cause of all this and not just the symptom so it will be interesting to see how that works out.
I would love to hear from anyone else who has had a simple fistula procedure and where you are in the recovery process.
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Re: is this normal?

Postby Dewlilly » 25 Oct 2014, 09:00

I agree with you saying that docs are wrong about the recovery times... I was kinda in the middle .. mine wasnt simple or overly complex fistula surgery and i was told i would be back at in 1-2 weeks ... well i was not .. i couldnt even sit for like 3-4 weeks and driving wasnt til about a month and a half .... I think no one can tell us our recovery times cuz everyone reacts differently to situations ... As for the clear mucus thing ... i have had that a few times but mine comes from my female part lol ... i have noticed it on the toilet paper when i wiped and seen in the toilet a few times ... i have never asked anyone about it as it has never given me any concern .. it was like a yellowish jelly blob thing .. lol hope thats not too tmi either ... although i think tmi doesnt exist on this site.. :)
Dewlilly
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Ever the Optimist » 01 Nov 2014, 17:14

Hi,
I also had a very simple fistulotomy a couple of years ago now and yes, why the medics underestimate the recovery time is a mystery! - Possibly to give us hope in recovery that it will not take as long as we fear!! It took me a good month for the wound site to heal properly and for the area to heal over and probably 10 weeks to reach full and final recovery with no further issues/ discomfort etc....On saying this, you also had partial skin tag removal, which in my opinion, will add time to the healing process since everything is so delicate and sensitive down there....On a very positive note, fistula recovery is generally very successful and you will see a definite improvement over time!!........... (much easier to get over compared to fissure trauma) You really do need to take things day by day and stay as patient as possible!!
I also totally agree with Dewlily!! I have also had this mucus issue and gone through the very same thing, also now convinced it was vaginal discharge and not anal related...I think when you go through this stuff, you become so hyper aware and sensitive to anything going on down there that it's easy to get a bit confused about what is coming from where!! It's very possibly part and parcel of your normal cycle but obviously ask questions if you have any concerns, just for peace of mind!....
To me, it sounds like you are doing just fine, everything is normal and it's natural to worry about healing properly but I'm sure you will be OK :) GL in your continuing healing!!
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby mmklinemm » 01 Nov 2014, 19:24

Dewlilly wrote:... although i think tmi doesnt exist on this site.. :)

Too true! I share more with y'all than I do my husband.
:afsmile:
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13