Breastfeeding and feeling overwhelemed...

Will this ever end?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Breastfeeding and feeling overwhelemed...

Postby BeyondFrustrated » 25 Jan 2015, 16:46

Hello all. I've just joined this website and although you all seem to be very nice people I honestly wish that I didn't need to be here. I've been reading your stories and they have been both helpful and not. It's nice to know that there are people out there who share the complete and utter frustration and agony that comes with AF but now I see that I may be headed down a similar path as some of you. My situation is complicated by the fact that I'm breastfeeding and therefore limited with treatment options. I've been spending most of my days on the floor with my son and while he plays I sob to myself and ask God, "Why??". I've been praying for the day when this fissure will finally heal but after reading some of your posts I'm starting to fear that even once it's healed it may come back. Is this a "death sentence" per say? Am I doomed to have reoccurring fissures for the rest of my life now that I've had one? I've found myself becoming more and more depressed today as I read wondering this and if I will ever be able to have another baby as my husband and I have already started talking about. If anyone has words of inspiration they would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
BeyondFrustrated

Topics: 1

Re: Breastfeeding and feeling overwhelemed...

Postby Cheryl888 » 25 Jan 2015, 19:57

What medication did your doc Rx you for the fissure? Can you contact a lactaction consultant to see if it's on the approved list of meds you can take? Have you checked it on www.kellymom.com - there is a great list on there of what's ok to take while nursing. I nursed all 4 of my children, so I know the difficulties that go along with limited medication options.

This is my first fissure and it doesn't seem to be getting better....I've had the same thoughts as you. Any improvements I've seen have me worried that once it does heal, it will be more likely to come back. :(
Cheryl888
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby jlm1 » 02 Feb 2015, 10:21

I totally relate and all I can say is hang in there. Really. I believe that the body wants to heal itself. I truly understand the pain you are in and I too asked God, why?! I'm sure cancer patients are terrified of it coming back once they are cured. Everyone deals with something and at least this is not life threatening. Please do not think I am undermining your pain. I have been there. It's terrible.
Have you tried botox? I had that in July, it healed my fissure. I am afraid of getting another one but I can't live life like that. There's also a chance it won't come back. I am watching my diet, will take stool softeners forever and pelvic exercises are my new thing and I will eventually do pilates, which helps keep that areas strong.
And I relate to wanting to have another baby too. I was trying when I got the fissure. Very frustrating. Hang in there. You are not alone :)
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Scientist2516 » 02 Feb 2015, 12:39

My heart hurts for all the new mothers with fissures. Having and nursing a baby is hard enough without dealing with the constant pain. It's so cruel that you don't get to enjoy this special time. Please don't think this is a death sentence, or even a life sentence. It's very likely that you can heal completely. If you can, please do take your medications. Take whatever pain killer your doctor will allow. You need to keep the pain to a minimum, as the pain itself can make things worse.
I'm sure you know what to do: you need to keep yourself hydrated, which is even harder for a nursing mother than for most of us. If you take calcium supplements, make sure they don't constipate you. You'll need stool softeners or a very careful diet to make sure you never get constipated or hard stools.
Try sitting on a warm hot water bottle. I know it's hard to just sit, but maybe you can when you are nursing. It's very soothing, and also very healing.

Above all, don't be discouraged if healing takes a long time. It can take weeks or months, and you may find that you have set-backs where you think you are back to square one. Give it time and patience. Believe me, I was cast into depression a few times, when I thought I finally had it beat, and then bam, more pain. But now I'm better. You'll find that the pain decreases and becomes less and less as time goes on. It won't always be like it is now. I haven't had any pain for over 3 months, and even when I do have some pain, it's really more like discomfort, not the misery it was in the beginning.

Good luck!
:smilyhug:
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Jbl22424 » 11 Feb 2015, 00:40

All the standard treatment options are still open to you even while you are nursing. I was in the same boat. Miralax is perfectly safe so you should be taking that. You can also have Botox and surgery, you just might want to pump and dump for a day. Have you see a CRS for nitro or diltiazem? Also safe while nursing.

I got my fissure 7 weeks after my son was born due to constipation from breastfeeding. It was the worst four months of my life until I had surgery. I am so sorry you have to go through this.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9