Ongoing pain post LIS

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Ongoing pain post LIS

Postby love4labs » 12 Feb 2015, 02:03

Hi everyone, i've searched the internet for help and found this group. I'm hoping you may have some answers for me. Let me explain my story.

I've had chronic diarrhea for years that continues to get worse. I starting having blood in my stool about a year ago. My GI ran blood tests, fecal tests and did a colonoscopy to rule out a lot of things. The only thing he founds were nonbleeding internal hemms nd an inflammatory polyp that he said was nothing. Oh yes, i also have GERD.

So around August 2014 i was dx with IBS D. I met with a nutritionist to try the elimination FODMAP diet. I'm a very picky eater so it was very hard for me but i was able to identify some triggers. On the diet, i had two instances of constipation but i didnt think it caused any other problems. So i followed up in October and things were improving.

September i started having rectal pain. He did a sigmoidoscopy under anesthetic because i was in too much pain for an exam. Thats when they dx an AF. He prescribed nitroglycerin for 3 wks twice a day. It seemed to help but not completely.

A few days after stopping the nitroglycerin, the bleeding returned and i mean a lot of bleeding. I bleed for 4 weeks and my hemoglobin dropped from 14 to 10. I was scheduled for another colonoscopy. January 2nd it was done and showed nothing but a thrombosed hemm which he said is why the bleeding stopped and the pain started again 2 days prior.

So this pain goes on and i now have 3 emergency visits under me. GI finally refers me to a CRS. He takes one look and says its a AF and it never healed in the first place. Apparently my body had healed the thrombosed hemm on its own. The crs prescribes diltazipen and says the i should see improvement within 3 to 4 days Even if just a little bit.

Well 8 days later i called and was scheduled for a LIS. my surgery was on January 29th. I was given daluadid and toradol after surgery and took them around the clock for the first five days with my pain being controlled.

I honestly am still in a ton of pain! I had a followup on Monday and the crs said everything looked great and th r pain is just from the surgical wound and it will take time to heal. Well im two weeks out and im supposed to return to work Monday. I dont know what to do. Im still having to take pain meds at least once more likely twice a day just to get through at home.

Please someone tell me this is normal!! I have 9 pills left and no refills and im so scared. I cant handle the pain of this anymore. I feel like i should be better But the pain is just different but still just as bad. Please help!!
love4labs

Topics: 1

Re: Ongoing pain post LIS

Postby chachacha » 12 Feb 2015, 13:14

I had LIS on the 20th, and like you, have chronic diarrhea. I also did a lot to try to control it (diet changes and eliminations of things like dairy and gluten) over the past year, but nothing so far has led me to having formed stool. And boy do I hear you on the picky eater front!

I only stopped taking painkillers last week, and am sitting on a couch cushion on my computer chair to type now. I was not even able to sit at all until about a week ago, and have still not left the house (can't sit on the car seat yet). I definitely feel like I'm finally progressing though, so since you're more than a week behind me, you may still be quite on track for a normal recovery after this quite-invasive procedure (even though the doctors seem to think it just a trifle).

I would definitely contact your CRS to arrange for more painkillers though, and if you can, postpone your return to work too, until you are no longer in pain.

If you've just found this forum, you'll be amazed by how much you can learn, by reading all of the old posts from others who've already walked in your shoes.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Isle » 12 Feb 2015, 17:09

I would second that.. Get another Rx for pain.
For myself I am considering LIS so very interested in your progress. I really hope it works out for you. It's the worst kind of pain.
Take encouragement from what your doc said that everything looks good. It should mean the fissure is healing and the surgery trauma will also. Doctors always underestimate the time it takes. I don't know why this is.
Hemorrhoidectemy Oct 2014, successful
Fissure Nov 2014 not healed
Nefedipine no help
Progesterone helped some
Oxidized Magnesium great stuff for soft stools
Looking for healing thinking of LIS
Isle
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby love4labs » 13 Feb 2015, 10:46

Thank you both for responding. I do notice I'm getting A LITTLE better. I just feel so miserable and depressed. I was not expecting it to be like this and I feel like my crs led me to think it would be different. I called the crs and I'm still waiting to hear back. The nurse said he probably won't prescribe me anything else but hopefully he will allow me 1 more week off work.
love4labs

Topics: 1

Postby chachacha » 13 Feb 2015, 11:02

I could have written that exact post about a week ago. I was angry that my CRS had not explained what to expect afterward and didn't mention the possibility of the external hemmorhoids (which I am still hopeful will continue to shrink). I was also depressed and cried a few times over my seeming lack of progress.

I hope that things get better for you quickly.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19