Questions regarding Miralax

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Questions regarding Miralax

Postby Zizi » 16 Feb 2015, 01:32

I'm just wondering if I cut the dosage of miralax, how does it affect the softness of the stool? I take mine in the morning, so will it maintain the same softness for the beginning part of the stool and harder toward the end, since breakfast and lunch is closer to the time when I take miralax. less soft toward the end because the time dinner gets digested is further away from the time I take miralax? or overall less soft from beginning to the end? Sorry if the questions are confusing...
Zizi
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Re: Questions regarding Miralax

Postby Panda09 » 01 Mar 2015, 05:59

Hi Zizi,

I had the same doubts earlier. When my fissure was in acute stage the doctor prescribed me 2 doses 2x a day for about 2 weeks. Later, he asked me to switch to once per day (the normal adult dosage). I thought I had healed myself but on the 18th, I had diarrhea from Flu/Influenza antibiotics and then experienced some hardening in stools in the days that followed.

I saw my CRS again and he asked me to double the PEG dosage. Along with that I am also consuming oils (Olive oil and flaxseed oil) regularly and it has now brought me back on the road to recovery. Miralax is safe to use for few weeks / months even in higher doses atleast as I have been told. Up your dosage and pay attention to your stool consistency - it should be paste like with 4-8" in length.

Keep me posted.

P
Panda09
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Zizi » 01 Mar 2015, 13:42

Hi Panda09,

From the first time I took miralax, I didn't take the full 17g dosage. I think I took about half of 17g. Now, I'm still taking half of 17g. My stool is still soft. Also, I've been taking miralax for one month now and will continue with it. It's very likely that I will take it for all my life because when I think about it. I would rather depend on miralax and be pain free. Thanks for replying to my post!
Zizi
Salt Bather

Postby Panda09 » 01 Mar 2015, 14:06

Hi Zizi,

I agree. I re read your original post and I believe your stool should be consistent / paste like from start to finish. May be you can also include some dried prunes, apricots (2x a day) and B-complex tablets (1x / day) for overall good digestion. I read about a product with Isabgol and Triphala powders and hope to substitute that for Miralax, or to cut down its dosage to 1x daily once my fissure is healed. Just in the mood for some experimentation with the Ayurvedic stuff :D . Wish you a speedy recovery.

Cheers
P
Panda09
Fibre Addict

Postby Zizi » 02 Mar 2015, 11:38

Hi Panda,

Just out of curiosity, how does b complex tablet work in softening stool? I probably wouldn't give a thought to it if you had not mentioned it. XD
Zizi
Salt Bather

Postby Panda09 » 03 Mar 2015, 14:01

Hi Zizi,

I don't really know how but it does that to people. In my family both my Dad and I have observed this.
I have also seen physicians prescribe it when they give antibiotics to avoid constipation. Recently my CRS told me that B-complex is safe to take daily. In any case it's going to help your digestion, so give it a go. Try one capsule each night after dinner.

P
Panda09
Fibre Addict

Postby Zizi » 04 Mar 2015, 02:26

Hi Panda,

Thanks for the advice, I think I would give that a try too. By the way, let me know what you think about the Ayurvedic thing, when you going to give it a try! :)
Zizi
Salt Bather

Postby troublingfissure » 04 Mar 2015, 04:59

Hi All,

What should be the ideal dosage for Poly ethylene glycol ? Here in India, it is available in 17g packets. Is 17g required daily ?

Please advise.
troublingfissure

Topics: 2

Postby Zizi » 04 Mar 2015, 20:52

Not sure about your situation but I only take half of 17g. It works for me. Many people on the forum adjusted the dosage that work for them. Hope you find your happy medium soon!
Zizi
Salt Bather

Postby Panda09 » 06 Mar 2015, 05:31

Hello troublingfissure,

In India it's called Laxopeg I suppose. Start with one sachet (half each morning and evening) as Zizi suggested.
If it doesn't make it pasty, go for 1 full sachet each time.

P
Panda09
Fibre Addict