New Mom desperate for advice

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: New Mom desperate for advice

Postby wl1014 » 16 Mar 2015, 22:20

Sorry I am just seeing this now, Broncosgirl. That is so exciting that your date was moved up. I'm sure once the decision is made the quicker you can get it over with, the better. I wish you all the best of luck tomorrow. Hopefully you are not too nervous. Sounds like you have a lot of confidence in your doctor which is great.

Thank you for sharing your thought process with me. It was very well put and I really respect your perspective. I was quoted $1600 for the surgery (procedure and facility fee), not including anesthesia! That is a huge difference. What state are you in?? I assumed Colorado but you never know :)

Anyways, I'm glad your nightmare is almost over. I hope recovery is smooth and quick!
wl1014
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Broncosgirl » 17 Mar 2015, 19:00

Hi,
Yes, I'm in Colorado. The $360 did not include facility fees. With the and Anasthesia the range was between $1500 and $2500 depending on how the anesthesia is billed. The estimate includes the adjusted rate for insurance.

As sure of my decision as I may have sounded, I chickened out Monday morning and cancelled. I'm feeling lost again about my next move... I think I am going to give it a few weeks and then meet with my doc again to see if any progress has been made. If not I will reschedule the surgery. I made this decision because at my last doctor visit my CRS suggested I wait a bit longer before surgery. I didn't want to always wonder if I had waited what would have happened. I am also nervous what caring for my daughter will be like afterward.
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby wl1014 » 26 Mar 2015, 13:09

Hey Broncosgirl,
Sorry for the delay. Sorry to hear about the cancellation. I have been there obviously and cancelled myself. I think it's best to trust your gut though. How are you feeling? Any relief since we last spoke? Maybe botox a better option for you?? Hope you are okay.
wl1014
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Broncosgirl » 26 Mar 2015, 19:42

Hey,
I have actually gotten worse in the past week. I decided that was a sign I should get this over with and have rescheduled my surgery. It is set for Tuesday morning. I will let you know how it goes.

I hope your are doing well and that you are feeling better each day.
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby ouch4466 » 26 Mar 2015, 20:42

I very much know how you feel! I started having fissures at the end of a pregnancy and it got a lot worse after birth. Also a long unproductive labor that ended in c section. I saw a surgeon when my son was around 4 months old and was prescribed diltiazem ointment. It would heal but come back whenever I stopped it. The general surgeon recommended lis. I had a LIS and I healed. He was very conservative with his cut and I think that's why I developed more fissures around 3 weeks post op. I did a round of the ointment again but same thing. I had another LIS with a colorectal surgeon in January of this year. It did the trick! He cut more than the first guy did and I think that helped me immensely. I was so much better by 2 weeks post op. I'm now 2 months post op and no fissures, pain or bleeding. Also no incontinence! My muscles work just fine down there. I kbow it seems like a never ending painful thing to go thru fissures but I think LIS is the way to go for ones that won't heal with creams and diet changes etc. I had more than one LIS and no sign of incontinence. So I think it's worth it. Fissures can hurt worse than childbirth and it's not right to have to live with that. If you do decide to do LIS, try to find a colorectal surgeon. Hope you get to heal!
ouch4466
Salt Bather

Topics: 9