Colonoscopy

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Colonoscopy

Postby danno » 09 Mar 2015, 16:30

I am going in for a colonoscopy on Wednesday afternoon and have to start moviprep bowel cleansing from 6pm tomorrow. I am absolutely dreading both the moviprep and the colonoscopy. I am afraid of nausea and vomiting and also of the process of being wheeled into an operating theatre and having it put up inside me, even though I know I will be sedated. I am shaking with fear right now. My GP has prescribed me diazapam to deal with the panic, but I'm not that keen on taking them.

A couple of weeks ago I had a sigmoidoscopy but as the enema didn't fully empty my bowels, I am having to have this procedure. While the sigmoidoscopy was not painful and the surgeon and his team were good, the wind I experienced afterwards was slightly painful. However, I really didn't like lying there. I am anticipating the colonoscopy being a lot worse, though, as it is half an hour.

How bad is the prep? I'd really appreciate other people's experience.
danno
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Colonoscopy

Postby Bailey » 09 Mar 2015, 19:59

I have no advice to share because I've never had a colonoscopy, but I did want to say - I feel your pain! I'm going for a colonoscopy in a few weeks and I'm also not looking forward to it. They called today to see if could move it up and I said "No thank you." Im trying very hard to be brave, trust the doctors that all will be well. I think we can do this together! Good luck to you.
Diagnosed anal fissure October 2014
Tried nifedipine - fissure seemed to be healing but reoccurred January 2015
Switched to Nitro and started Resoralax - Beginning of March 2015
Bailey
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Cheryl888 » 10 Mar 2015, 06:20

The prep is the worst part honestly - and that's just because it's a foul tasting liquid that is hard to swallow...and after you get it down, you will basically be glued to the toilet for hours. But it's doable. Now the colonoscopy itself - no issues at all there. You shouldn't even know what's going on - as soon as they put those sleepy time drugs into your IV, you will be out and the next thing you know you will be waking up in recovery and the doc will talk to you about what they found and should even give you some 'great' pictures of your insides. LOL
Cheryl888
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Cheryl888 » 10 Mar 2015, 06:24

Some tips for drinking the prep - put it in the fridge and keep it cold. Use a straw to drink it so it goes almost right to the back of your throat and down. I would take a spoonful of chicken broth, swallow that, then hold my nose while I sucked down as much of the prep as possible, and then take a sip of apple juice - then I would finally stop holding my nose. It was quite a process, but it helped mask the taste and get it down as quickly as possible! Best of luck!
Cheryl888
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3