Experiences on Diltiazem?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Experiences on Diltiazem?

Postby frank » 16 Mar 2015, 10:34

Anyone know in their experiences how long it took for Diltiazem to become effective on them? I just started 3 days ago, but I cant gauge because the day before I took it, I had no spasms for the day. The day I took it, spasms all day. Yesterday was a good day with no spasms, now today is a day of nasty burning spasms. And these spasms go all day.

Will the Diltiazem eventually stop these?
frank
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Experiences on Diltiazem?

Postby chachacha » 16 Mar 2015, 11:36

My doctor told me 4 - 6 weeks, but since that was how long my fissures usually healed on their own, I don't know if it worked for me or not. I certainly didn't see any improvement in the first week or two.

Maybe you'll heal faster though, because I imagine it would depend a lot on the size of your fissure and how long you have had it.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby frank » 16 Mar 2015, 12:24

Were you getting all day spasms?
frank
Salt Bather

Postby chachacha » 16 Mar 2015, 12:30

I would be in severe pain for about 8 - 10 hours after a bowel movement and then another 8 - 10 at about a level 5 pain. So yeah, all day, but I only had movements every fourth day because of my chronic diarrhea.
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby frank » 16 Mar 2015, 12:35

Yikes. I have had fissures before and they never affected my daily life. At their worst, it would be sharp pinch when going in the morning. Sharp pain over by the time I left the bathroom. Maybe at my absolute worst I would have lingering pain for 10-20 mins after. I would read how people would be in pain all day and I remember saying, "wow, mine arent like that". They are now. Yesterday, was a great comfortable day, today is agonizing. I just dont get it.
frank
Salt Bather

Postby chachacha » 16 Mar 2015, 12:51

Well, I always considered myself lucky, because most people have BM's every day, and I could never have lived with that.
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby shakdang » 17 Mar 2015, 05:30

I was on GTN for good 3 weeks without any progress when my surgeon prescribed me Diltiazem 2% twice a day.

The pain during BMs disappeared after 4-5 days and 2 weeks later I could tell that the fissure was definitely healing. I'm now in week 6 of using Diltiazem and am almost healed .. in fact I've started reducing the dose and am down to one application a day (at night).

So it took good 5 weeks before I could say that it was helping. I did however absolutely made sure that my stool was soft which in my opinion is more important than any ointment.

As for side affects, I didn't experience major spasms except maybe once but they weren't unbearable. It sometimes gives burning sensation for a few seconds and the general area feels a bit hot after application but that's all I've experienced.
shakdang
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby frank » 17 Mar 2015, 09:38

Good to hear others have them in locations other than the norm. Just not sure why its not normal? Maybe they are the areas where my sphincter happens to get tight? And like I said before, mine are not from constipation or overly large stools.
frank
Salt Bather

Postby Broncosgirl » 24 Mar 2015, 13:42

Has the diltiazem been helping yet Frank? I have been on this for weeks with no improvement. Actually, things are worse. Is it working for you?
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby frank » 24 Mar 2015, 13:52

I was just at the CRS yesterday which was only 1 week from being on cream. She just knew I was in a lot of pain on first visit and wanted to make sure there was some sign of improvement. I want to say there is a slight bit of improvement. But I could go a day or 2 with hardly any spasms then have a day where Im pacing back in forth in discomfort. BUT I have not had the pacing back and forth discomfort in 4 days now. Im crossing my fingers that this is a first step in something improving. The CRS said the fissure did look like it was starting to show signs of wanting to heal. Do you get all day spasms? These all day spasms are new to me. I would get a fissure, it would hurt after the bathroom for like 5 mins then on with my day. This one feels good 5 mins after bathroom then 1-2 hours later full blown burning spasm. She asked if I wanted to proceed with cream longer or if I want to move towards botox. I said lets try cream longer she said she will see me in a month. I do know that the cream doesnt start to show its effects for weeks. Put a ton of people on here say the cream has done nothing. I guess I will wait and see.
frank
Salt Bather