Help with after surgery softner

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Help with after surgery softner

Postby Deleted User 4096 » 28 Mar 2015, 13:41

After my surgery I was given a prescription for Colace/Docusate. It says to take 3 100mg pills per day as needed for constipation.

I was also told to take Miralax, I have been taking it once per day.

It's been 3 days since surgery. I was never constipated. The day after surgery I didn't poop but I took 2 fleet enemas before surgery so I didn't think I would need too poop the day after anyway.

The second and third day after surgery I pooped fine, no pain, very soft. The problem was it was so soft that it was messy and hard to clean which created irritation.

So, I am not constipated but I would like to keep my stool small and soft so it doesn't do any damage. But I would also like it to not be so soft that it is horrible to clean.

Im off the pain meds and I have never had constipation problems.

I'm thinking I don't need both the Miralax and the Colace. If I had to use just one to help keep the stool a bit softer than usual, which one?
Deleted User 4096

Re: Help with after surgery softner

Postby tigerbutt2 » 28 Mar 2015, 14:32

I had the same problem after my surgery. I had been taking 2 ducosate sodium, 1 magnesium, and 2.5 tsp of Miralax each morning and night, but I stopped everything but the Miralax around day 4 after surgery, and that's all I'm using now (2 weeks since surgery). That helped me a lot. You could experiment by dropping 1 ducosate pill per day to see what happens, if you're worried about hard stool. I'm finding my stool to still be a touch too soft (I think because the surgery relaxes things so much down there!), so I may start cutting down my Miralax a tiny bit here and there too.
tigerbutt2
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion