LIS incision site

Has anyone's NOT healed?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS incision site

Postby msimon » 18 Apr 2015, 13:42

As you may know from my other posts I am 5 months out from LIS and 10 weeks out from an unroofing procedure for a chronic infection at the LIS site. I am having an impossible time healing from the incision and am wondering if anyone has ever experienced or heard of this. Should I give up yet? I've never heard of a second LIS to heal the first LIS but does this ever happen? I am feeling so discouraged and want to find the nearest tall bridge :groan:
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Re: LIS incision site

Postby chachacha » 18 Apr 2015, 15:51

Is it your external incision that isn't healing, or the cut on the sphincter itself?

I can't imagine being in your shoes these days, but please know that your fellow boardies are always wishing you the best.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby msimon » 18 Apr 2015, 18:56

Yes, Chacha. It is the external skin wound the CRS created when he unroofed my infection, which surrounded my LIS incision site.

Thanks for the kind words :afsmile: I just can't believe this has happened. I hate so much that almost everything I feared came true!
msimon

Postby chachacha » 18 Apr 2015, 20:01

Ouch! So sorry that you've been through so much. I always worry that I'll have my worst fears come true too, but let's hope that you can predict some good outcomes now instead!

:%_+:
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Postby owmybum » 19 Apr 2015, 03:35

Have you tried wound honey on it?? That's what I used on the large fissure caused by my flap surgery. I'm sure it helped cut healing time greatly. I used one from amazon called activion manuka wound honey. It's messy, but if you're not able to do much anyway, then it doesn't matter.

Xxxxxxxxxx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Broncosgirl » 19 Apr 2015, 08:28

I am so sorry Msimon. I can't offer much advice but I do hope you heal soon! During my bout with my fissure I got online and looked up CRS who actually list fissures as a specialty or who have written extensive articles on them. I called a CRS who lives in a different state than me and paid for a 1 hour phone consultation. I liked my Local CRS who ultimately did my surgery but it was helpful to talk with someone who I knew had extensive knowledge on the issue.
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Canadabum » 19 Apr 2015, 22:09

msimon...the answer to your question about giving up is a big huge and resounding NO. There is nothing to give up on...you will be OK....the hard part is when...that is what gets us all down, not knowing when it will come. I am no surgical expert so my advice is just my own thoughts...but seems to me you have a vast understanding of your situation and all you really need is to find the right CRS, the right CRS nurse or the like to be able to sit down with and strategize with....that would be my focus, turn over every stone until you find some doc. who seems to know half of what you do and I think then you will be able to come up with a plan of attack.

Please keep in mind that there are far more things right and good about you than are not good...lastly -- make it a point of telling your close friends and family and perhaps a good therapist how you feel...do not delay, ask them for a hug, tell them you need one now -- we would all give you one if we could and we would all stay up through the night with you listening to your story....find that outlet -- i personally think that is as important as dealing with the physical side of this ridiculous situation we are all in.

Hang in there MSimon....you will beat this!!!

Canadabum
Canadabum

Postby msimon » 20 Apr 2015, 13:01

Thanks all. You are sooooo sweet :smilyhug:

As I lay here writhing in pain this morning I thought I would call the only other CRS in my city that deals with these issues and was told he would not see me. I had seen him as a consult before I agreed to surgery with my current CRS. I was told it is unethical for him to see me when I am under another CRS's care. This is ridiculous! Who looks after the patients in all this? So apparently second opinions are not allowed around here? OMG I don't know what I am going to do!
msimon

Postby Canadabum » 20 Apr 2015, 13:07

2 thoughts...if you don't mind telling people where you are someone on this board may have a connection to the crs you want to consult or may know someone in a nearby city. Second - look outside your town. Your GP should be able to help with this and again perhaps someone on this board will have a name for you in a nearby town.

Don't take no for an answer...because as you know it isn't one!!

Canadabum
Canadabum

Postby msimon » 20 Apr 2015, 13:12

OMB, I had tried Manuka honey before and couldn't handle the burning. Plus, I cannot access the area as it is behind swollen skin flaps. Not sure if applying it on top of the flaps would help...What do you think?
msimon