weird tiny hole/groove at rectum after fistulotomy healed

groove near healed fistulotomy

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

weird tiny hole/groove at rectum after fistulotomy healed

Postby Cporosus1 » 22 Apr 2015, 02:13

Hi everyone, two weeks ago I went to my surgeon and he stated that, after 13 weeks, my fistulotomy wound had healed 99% and there was a tiny 10th of an inch area that was already at the surface but needed to heal over. Since then the minor pain I had has vanished and I had assumed it was fully healed. I took pictures on the day I went to him and today I took another photo. Two weeks ago there was a blood spot on the surface of the skin (which I assumed was that last 1%) and there was what I am now more clearly seeing today as a groove or shallow hole heading into the rectum. It looks like normal skin in the groove and there is no pain. It is very small and has caused me no problems, but I just want to know if this is normal. Is this the "Keyhole deformity" I've been reading about? It hasn't caused me any incontinence and like I said it is small, but I want to make sure no complications can arise from it. I want to go swimming again and my doctor stated that within 1 to 2 weeks (this was 2 weeks ago) I should be good to go. He would have seen this deformity at that time (it was there), but he didn't mention anything about it. What do you guys think? It basically looks like a tiny shallow "keyhole" below the rectum. I really don't want to have surgery again.
Cporosus1
Salt Bather

Topics: 28

Re: weird tiny hole/groove at rectum after fistulotomy heale

Postby Dewlilly » 22 Apr 2015, 21:14

Hi Cporosus1 .... I think what ur seeing normal after surgery .. I have it too the way my rectum healed after the fistolomty the side that was cut healed leaving a gutter I call it but u said key hole and that actually is a better description of the no longer circular rectum shape ... I am over a year now since surgery and I have no problems knock on wood lol ... Ur doc probably didn't say anything as it is probably normal looking to them ... I don't think u have any worries ... Maybe get a recheck and ask about it just ease ur mind as this area with health issues is hard on our heads .. Take care
Dewlilly
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Re: weird tiny hole/groove at rectum after fistulotomy heale

Postby Cporosus1 » 22 Apr 2015, 21:42

Thanks Dewlilly,

It causes no problems. I called my surgeon's office and his nurses said they didn't think it was worth a visit and that it is probably normal. I just want to make sure it is safe to go into the spa again! haha
Cporosus1
Salt Bather

Topics: 28