In a right panic!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

In a right panic!

Postby felix » 23 Apr 2015, 16:29

So I recently posted on here introducing myself,,,I have had a fissure since a horrible norovirus incident in Jan and have been on rectogesic for the last 7 weeks. It has helped lots and I have no pain on BM and no spasms afterwards, this has been the case for the last 6 weeks.
However, this morning I had a bit of a harder BM and while it didn;t hurt at the time and there were no spasms or blood, it has felt a bit sore and irritated all day. I know that people are way worse off on here and I know that having practically no pain is really lucky and I should probably just get on with it but I am really struggling with the anxiety of it all, terrified it will come back or I have done myself some serious damage!
I guess I am wondering if soreness while healing is normal and also if anyone has any ideas how long I can keep using the cream for? It says 8 weeks on the packet but have people used it for longer?

Any words of wisdom appreciated as I am sending myself into a bit of a frenzy!
felix
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Re: In a right panic!

Postby Scientist2516 » 23 Apr 2015, 19:57

Hi felix, YES soreness while healing is normal. Hopefully in a day or two you'll be fine again. I went through this process a few times. Try a heat pad or not-too-hot hot water bottle to soothe the soreness. I know it's scary, and I was scared the first time. I think it'll be OK though. It is just soreness, right, not spasms?

You can use the cream for months. I did. And if you stop using it, keep it in case you want to use it again at any time.
Good luck!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Postby felix » 24 Apr 2015, 03:58

Thanks Scientist! Yes it is just soreness and irritation and not full blown spasms. I just feel so scared and then to make matters worse, despite eating tonnes of fruit and veg yesterday I had another hard BM this morning...I think it is linked to my menstrual cycle but just can't stop thinking the whole horrible cycle is going to start up again.
After the bm this morning, i had a feel and nothing felt sore when i touched inside but it just all feels a bit "wrong".
God I really want an end to having to think about my bottom all the flipping time, :groan:
felix
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Scientist2516 » 24 Apr 2015, 08:45

Yes, I've seen that quite often on this forum - women linking hard stools and soreness to their periods. I wonder if it's to do with water retention and bloating that some women get with their periods? ie, the water is retained, not going to the stool.
Maybe try an osmotic stool softener like miralax to get you through those tricky days.

I know just what you mean about not having to think about your bottom ALL THE TIME. Believe me, the day will come. You may not believe it now, and yes, it can take forever, but you'll get there. I hardly ever think about it now. Except to be thankful it's over. Hang in there, you can do it.
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Postby felix » 24 Apr 2015, 10:28

Ah thanks so much for the advice and kind words. I am quite an anxious person anyway but this bottom business has just made me into a nervous wreck! I was doing so well and, even though I know things are not as bad as they were to start with, I am just terrified of ending back in that place. I am also very phobic of doctors and hospitals so keep thinking the longer it goes on, the more likely it is I will need surgery.
I have had no blood for nearly 2 months so keep thinking that is a good sign and your story is so positive. I guess I just want to be "normal" again. :thankyou:
felix
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby felix » 26 Apr 2015, 14:29

Oh and thanks so much for the hot water bottle suggestion...I just spent three hours marking students work sitting on one and it was so helpful!
felix
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Scientist2516 » 26 Apr 2015, 19:22

Good! So glad I could do something positive to help.
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Postby felix » 07 May 2015, 14:13

OK, so I went to a CRS finally (had to pay to go private but was getting so stressed by it all) and he said that the fissure was nearly healed and to try Dilatzem but as the GTN has worked well for me, I think I will stick with that for the time being.
I am just struggling with the up and down nature of it all. Some days it feels totally fine, no pain at all for the whole day or for a week and then some days the muscle feels tight and it all feels a bit sore but not so bad I have to take painkillers. I guess that the days it is sore, I panic that it is all going to come back and I will never fully heal...Is nearly healed a good sign? I keep thinking that if it is 80% healed and I have had some big BMs that have set me back then it is all going in the right direction but while it is there, I tend to panic that it is going to form an abscess or a fistula or something nasty!! Sorry, just having a rant and hoping people have some helpful thoughts on whether I sound like a case that might heal without surgery or botox!
felix
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Scientist2516 » 07 May 2015, 17:35

Honestly, healing my fissure was like being on a months-long roller coaster ride. Good days and bad days.........feeling fine, then decided to wash the floor, or carry something heavy, and BAM, I was back to sitting on my hot water bottle.
All I can say is, it takes time, but you'll get there in the end. I healed without surgery or botox. In the end (after about 18 months of fissure-life) I used topical oestrogen, and I think that tipped me over into finally healing.
You can read all about it in a-one-person-experiment-on-af-drugs-t7231.html

I don't think you will take as long as I did, because you are already healing faster than me. Also, the other good news is that in between bad days, I felt great, normal, able to live a normal life.
:smilyhug:
I know it's not terribly helpful to say "relax, don't worry", but I'll just put in a word for keeping your stress levels down. If you hold a lot of tension in your body when you get anxious, I bet some of that tension is in your bottom. Next time you are stressed out about something, try consciously relaxing your bottom. I eventually got into the habit of checking in with my bum every time I was worried, and would always have to concentrate on letting go of tension there. Often I'd even feel a sting of pain with stress, and once after a difficult presentation at work, I had anal pain for 2 or 3 days afterwards! So try conscious relaxation. It takes a while to build the new habit but it could be worth it.
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Postby felix » 08 May 2015, 02:37

Thanks for the kins words, it is so nice to be able to talk about it sonewhere! There are definitely good and bad days but hopefully it is getting better....It is interesting that you mention oestrogen because I am still breastfeeding my youngest a couple of times a day and I wonder if this is contributing to the lack of full healing. I do totally hold all my anxiety in my body and have been really focusing on relaxing by going for walks/doing yoga etc..
Something I have noticed is the main fissure site is much happier and not as painful but I have a tiny paper cut like feeling on another area so am not sure if the increased pressure has created a smaller, superficial tear that heals up quickly but causes a bit of soreness while it is there...
Thanks again for the kind words, it really helps to know others have been through this and survived! x
felix
Proctosphincteranalogist