10 months fissure… Should I consider LIS?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

10 months fissure… Should I consider LIS?

Postby empty_butt » 03 Jan 2018, 03:35

Hello everybody,

I’ve been plagued with an internal AF since April 2017. Unfortunately the fissure was caused by Campylobacteriosis and I discovered it by myself after 6 months of absurd abdominal pain and diarrhea on the top of the fissure hellish pain (my GE thought I was mental and misdiagnosed me with IBS, after which I autonomously decided to get my stools tested and found out I had been colonized by Campylobacter).

I can honestly say I tried it all: careful diet, water, laxatives, antibiotics (for Campylobacter), GNT, zinc, biofeedback, every kind of cream on earth that promised relief. The only thing working still today is GNT, I overcame the headaches and find it very useful even after 10 months.

The point is, I want to have my life back. I cannot wake up scared of going to the bathroom. I cannot live with the terror of re-tearing the fissure (happened four times) if I do not take a laxative before going to bed. I mean, we’ve all been there.

I openly talked to my CRS about getting LIS, as every conservative treatment is obviously only temporarily reducing the problem, not eliminating it. She advise me to continue with Biofeedback as she feels if I do not solve the muscular contractions first, LIS would be inefficient, and I’m doing what she says.

I am terrified of doing LIS, but at the same time I feel I’m running out of options. Anybody out there on the same boat (chronic fissure duly re-tearing after months) that is considering LIS? What are your thoughts?

Thank you all.
empty_butt
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: 10 months fissure… Should I consider LIS?

Postby Mypoorbutt » 04 Jan 2018, 10:51

Hi, sorry to hear your suffering
If you have tried the creams and your still not healing then I would advise LIS, I’m not sure why she is saying that it wouldn’t work without the biofeedback as my resting tone was over 130 and my LIS worked without any biofeedback at all and my fissure was deep to the muscle and nearly two inches in length.
Maybe it’s because you heal that she thinks the biofeedback would work or maybe she thinks LIS is not an option for a different reason but it was and still is the treatment that has the highest success rates for fissures.
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 19

Re: 10 months fissure… Should I consider LIS?

Postby empty_butt » 05 Jan 2018, 02:00

Hi Mypoorbutt,

Thank you so much for this!

I think she is somewhat skeptical of me having LIS because I was diagnosed with an early stage of fibromyalgia right before falling in this tunnel…
I’m currently not taking any meds as I can handle it, but I think fibromyalgia and muscle stiffness are part of the problem or at least aggravating it as in the spasms and muscle contractions surely do not promote healing (especially in deep down muscles of the perineum that you cannot massage in the “usual” ways.

I’ll talk to her and ask for a manometry since I haven’t done one ever. I’m giving myself a year (April 2017-April 2018), after that I will ask for surgery as this stupid fissure has already ruined so much of my life and I’m missing out a lot of things for it.

Have a nice day!
empty_butt
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?