> 3 months post-op Botox w/Fissurectomy

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

10 week update status post fissurectomy with Botox

Postby sailorgal » 29 Mar 2012, 07:43

Overall I'm doing well, relieved to finally say that I can tell and feel like I'm healing. Saw my CRS 8 weeks post-op and she said that the fissure is healing, it's still there, but it is healing which is great news. Was also relieved to be given the greenlight on vicodin as needed - was really trying to tough it out to get off of it completely (and only use ibuprofen). Don't need the vicodin when i'm at home bcz i can get rid of the pain after BM's with rest and heat. But at work, I don't sit and can't take a bath, so the vicodin helps kick the pain if I have a BM there (that's still touch and go, whether i go at work or not).
Recovered from a small setback last week when things got too hard again. But sticking with my regime of things. At this point, I'm hopeful to gain a full recovery with just one injection of Botox, but also know that one hard stool could set me back to square one. So, being careful with all of that. But enjoying getting out more with friends and doing fitness stuff again. Image
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Re: > 3 months post-op Botox w/Fissurectomy

Postby workingonit » 29 Mar 2012, 15:44

That's great!
I hope the rest of your healing speeds up as you start feeling more 'normal'.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Botox

Postby KimmieR » 08 Apr 2012, 05:58

Hi All,
I am new to this site and had Botox and Electrofulguration of Hemorrhoids 2 days ago. Glad to report I am still kind of numb and the pain from the surgery is not as bad as the pain I was having before. Feels like a ton of pressure and like I have to go to the bathroom all the time. Also have a lower backache and a pinching kind of pain but not bad. So glad I had this done, my only regret is I didn't do it sooner!! They said recovery was 3-4 days but I don't think I am going back to work until I am not numb and don't feel like I have to have a BM all the time. Anybody know how long it takes for this feeling to go away? Taking stool softeners and fiber, everything is soft and moving but I can't stand the feeling of always having to go. Can't imagine being in the bathroom all the time at work so think I should stay home for a bit... Is this lower backache normal??
KimmieR
Fibre Addict

Postby sailorgal » 12 Apr 2012, 07:15

Hi Kimmie,
I think lower back ache can be normal with this. It is possible for anal fissure/pelvic floor pain/issues to refer to the low back with an ache. Certainly, if it increases or the pinch becomes worse, I would inquire with your CRS. I also think it is smart for you to give yourself a few extra days before returning to work. I initially intended on taking only 4 days plus 2 day weekend before going back to work - thinking that would be more than enough time; but ended up needing 2 weeks off - i created more distress and frusteration for myself trying to push myself back to work too early. So, just cut yourself a lot of slack, give yourself extra time to heal.
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

almost 3 months post-op - a hemmie?

Postby sailorgal » 15 Apr 2012, 08:44

Hey fellow AF'ers,
So, I'm just shy of my 3 month post-op follow up with my CRS this upcoming tuesday. and i have a follow-up scheduled with my 2nd opinion CRS the following week.
Things have steadily gotten better, except for a couple things.
On the bright side: i'm eating more normally, enjoying (in moderation) foods i was avoiding before - still taking fiber pills daily and a stool softener almost daily, am back to working full days mostly comfortably; the pain after going BM's is much improved from before. Was able to take a quick hot bath after yesterday's BM and out the door within 10 minutes to spend the day at the top of a mast uprigging a sail boat for the season.
However, i've noticed that the pain while going (altho much improved from before the procedure) is not much improved from a month ago; still bleeding intermittently; and the swelling has seemed to actually have gotten worst in the last couple weeks. could this be a hemmrhoid? i became quite frusterated again a couple nights ago to discover that there doesn't seem to be much change when I visually take a peak. The swelling used to calm down between bowel movements, but in the last few days it has felt worst by the end of the day - as if it is mechanically getting irritated by walking because it's bigger in size. now, it's about an hour after i've gone - don't have the fissure pain, but left with an uncomfortable burning right at the opening. Has anyone else acquired a hemmrhoid after having had a fissure or while healing a fissure?
the other thing is that i've also begun to have more consistent pelvic floor pains, urgency with having to pee more frequently right after having the BM.
so, the big picture is that things are somewhat better than before, but now having some new/different symptoms. ugh, and then my mood swings from: whatever, add that to the list, i'm sure it will sort itself out (which has been a relief to the obsessive,emotional rollercoaster from before) to tears of frusteration with this saga continuing into its 6th month. i've learned tho, to stop checking it with a mirror - it only created more distress on my end - will leave that up to the surgeon.
i'm just hoping things are better sorted out in time to hop on a sailing ship for a week in May where toilets on board or primitive and i won't have the luxury of taking a hot bath after each BM.
I appreciate and thank you for any words of enlightenment re: this possible hemmrhoid formation, if that's what it is... Image
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby KimmieR » 18 Apr 2012, 21:25

Thanks Sailorgal!! I did end up taking this week off form work for a total of 2 weeks. Hope I can go back next week as I'm getting stir crazy!! The lower back pain is much better but I still have a lot of pressure and no warning with a BM. Also had a large blood clot come out but my CRS said it happens and not to worry. Hope there is no more clots forming because it was nasty!! Hope you are feeling better!!
KimmieR
Fibre Addict

Postby sailorgal » 19 Apr 2012, 20:06

Thanks Kimmie,
wow - hadn't heard of a blood clot coming out before.
My follow up with my CRS this week was . . . part good - part confusing.
Good: she confirmed that there is a fragile bit of scar tissue that has formed over the fissure which is a sign that it is healing, and a bit more healed than the last follow up 5 weeks ago.
Confusing: She had no answers for me regarding why i'm still bleeding with BM's, no change in the pain while I'm going, and still significant swelling down there - on a whole, makes absolutely no sense considering i'm a young, active, healthy female with no other health concerns or problems in the past. she seemed frusterated by my slow progress and compared it to her slowest healing patient who is in his 70s!. so, she referred me to see a gastro-enterologist, whom i'm hoping to see next week.
i have another follow up with my 2nd opinion CRS next tuesday. so curious if he has anything further to share/offer.
oddly enough, i've had less pain while going the last couple days and have been gently trying to do a little more. A couple small victories: wednesday morning was the first time i was able to go early before my early 8am work shift, naturally - in the past, i didn't get the urge until during my workshift and am too busy to go at work and end up getting pretty uncomfortable. And this morning was the first time i went for a small 2-mile jog before going and I was still able to have a BM afterwards before taking off. And it was the first time I replaced my mandatory post-BM-hot-bath with a hot shower.
so, seems a little better from that stand point.
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby KimmieR » 20 Apr 2012, 05:41

Hi Sailorgal,
Yes, the clot was terrible! Had a feeling like I had the runs and didn't make it to the bathroom in time. (Was only 5 feet away from it!!!) So it was in my pants and I freaked out!! (Just blood and the clot, no BM) Called my CRS and had him paged and he said it could happen and to rest more. DAMN, that's all I've been doing!!! He didn't say what caused it or if it could happen again. I think maybe it has something to do with him removing 2 internal hemorrhoids?? Anyway, today is 2 weeks and I still bleed all the time and still don't get much notice before a BM. My plan is to return to work Monday but I am worried about not making it in time to the bathroom and sitting at a desk all day. Hopefully it will be ok! Still having a lot of pressure but have to say I'm looking forward to getting out!!
Sorry to hear how your follow up went!! My CRS said to use ice for the swelling. Have you tried it? Let me know how your appt with the Gastro goes!! Good Luck!!
KimmieR
Fibre Addict

Postby workingonit » 20 Apr 2012, 15:31

Sailorgal,
I can't help you with the hemmie diagnosis....
But I hear you about the emotional roller coaster though!
Hope your CRS has good news for you on Tuesday and you are just over analyzing. Image
Do you still take the vicodin?
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby sailorgal » 28 Apr 2012, 10:36

Hi guys,
Thanks for your posts. I actually haven't taken vicodin in a month now. Am managing any pain/discomfort with ibuprofen but was just recommended to switch to extra strength Tylenol by the GI-doctor i saw last week.
So, update: saw my 2nd opinion CRS last week - he wasn't able to quantify if my fissure is any more healed than last time he saw me in early March, but confirmed that it is still there. supported what my other CRS recommended regarding f/u with a gastroenterologist just to make sure there isn't something else at play that is delaying my healing. he supported either choice: a 2nd botox injection or LIS - totally up to me. Was less reluctant towards LIS (than my 1st CRS) as the success rate is high and it's still pretty much considered the gold standard for treatment. Whatever long term risks of incontinence down the road after, if, i should have children is small and I guess not as problematic as continuing to live with the pain of the fissure.
My appointment with the gastroenterologist last thursday was 2.5 hours long! Spent about 20 minutes with the nurse for intake/vitals, 1.5 hours with the doctor who took the most thorough examination I have ever experienced (including eating habits from childhood thru present, weight fluctations, education level-details, every detail since this thing started, very detailed family history medical history, etc); and then another 20 minutes to get blood work done at the end. he's basically looking to rule out other disease processes that may be at play (early Chron's, etc). and went very thorougly thru my current diet to make minor suggestions for adjustments for the oh-so-perfect-poo-consistency. i was still too irritated for any of them to do an internal exam. so, we'll see.
he has me going back on nifedipine bcz i stopped after 3 weeks in late march. wants me to give it an honest try before we take the next course of treatment. again, things are bettER, just not totally better...
and, no, i haven't tried ice - feel reluctant to do so bcz of the comfort i get with heat . . .
oh and the GI-doctor confirmed that this whole thing did start as side-effects from diclofenac - an anti-inflammatory i was put on last november for shoulder pain/inflammation - had gotten super constipated with black-tarry stool (sign of upper GI bleeding - side effect) that tore on its way out. but that i do show a history of constipation (hard-poo) and will have to be vigilant for the rest of my life regarding: fiber, water, keeping my poo soft.
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist