3rd day post FISTULOTOMY........

Have you had surgery for a Fistula and would like to share your success with others on the board who might be worrying about their surgery? This is the place, snd we would be happy to hear from you. Also, if you want to keep a Fistula diary, feel free to do so.

Return to Fistula Success Stories

Re: 3rd day post FISTULOTOMY........

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 08 Jul 2012, 14:32

Hi Ever the Optimist!
I hope all is well!
I do have a couple of questions:
1. I know several people on the forum, including yourself, have mentioned "toothpaste-like" BM's. What exactly does that mean?
And what about the width of the BM's? Do you try to decrease the width to make it easier to pass? I know that many people on the forum have complained that increasing their fiber intake has made their stool too bulky. What are your thoughts on this?
If I take Miralax, and reduce my fiber intake, my stools become very soft (but not runny) - kind of like slightly melted ice cream. If I take Miralax, but increase my fiber intake, my stools are still soft but they are wider and well-formed. I am still trying to decide which is better, especially post-op. I would love to hear your thoughts on this.
By the way, based on your suggestion and the comments of others, I am definitely going to start taking some olive oil.
2. How many days after your surgery would you have felt comfortable going out for dinner or to a movie? My in-laws are going to be coming down for about a week to help watch our kids while I have my surgery and recover, so I am just trying to get a gauge on how good of company I am going to be. I did purchase a foam donut cushion to sit on, just in case! I am probably the youngest person ever to purchase a foam donut . . .
3. What post-op medications, including pain relievers, were you given?
4. After the surgery, which is best: gauze, a panty liner, an adult diaper? If you used gauze, how did you keep it in place? How often did you change it? I'm just trying to figure out what I should be planning for post-op.
Thanks again for all of your help! Any other advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Ever the Optimist » 09 Jul 2012, 12:47

Hi TFCKMB,
It's really hard to define the "perfect" BM! We are all so different and different consistencies work differently for different people from I can gather...
The "toothpaste" type stool for me is when I pass a stool, which is pretty well formed (stuck together but not at all hard if you see what I mean!) easy to pass, smooth...actually I'd even describe it a bit like a Mr Whippy ice cream!!! Imagine how that comes out of the machine....but the hardened Mr Whippy ice cream texture before it melts!! I normally have two passings...the first time there is normally quite a lot to come out and a minute or so after, just sitting and relaxing, I get another smaller Mr Whippy!!! I am really content then knowing I have passed everything I need to until later in the day. Clean-up is quick and minimal, not like when it's runny and it takes longer to get rid of all the debris. It's amazing actually how well I know my poops now and know when to soften and when to add a bit more fibre to bulk.!!......
If I show any signs of diarrhea, then I know I have to bulk up with more fibre but don't reduce the stool softener necessarily because once it's bulked, it still needs to be soft.... If it's harder, I up the fluids and ensure I'm eating a lot more fruit and veg as snacks or beans. I've never adjusted my stool softener because I know I can make the changes I need through diet alone at this stage.
TBH, I think both stools you describe are both great. I think you are almost there in getting the balance between the two! As long as they are soft, you are not straining to pass in any way and coming out fully and easily, then either would work for me!!....Post op, personally the softer the stool the better, so I'd stick with your second description, but not so runny that the stools break up. The Mr Whippy has really worked for me post op because it's soft and kind to my bum!!!.....
Hoping the olive oil might be the "icing on the cake" for you! My next step is to reduce the lactulose (miralax) and substitute with olive oil after breakfast.
Nothing has been 100% comfortable since the op for me but not terribly so - probably 80 - 90%. I went out for two meals the week after my op. The first time I was slightly uncomfortable because the restaurant chair was pure wood and not padded at all and I was just sorer that day and tired. The day after, I went for another meal, had a lovely padded seat but felt much better that day anyway and felt much more relaxed and much less sore. I think you will have no major problem with eating out. I don't use my donut anywhere other than at work but that's because I'm sitting for longer periods....I would suggest you find a seat that is at least padded a little because that really helps! As for a movie, that wouldn't bother me at all because you can pretty much get into any position you want to....even curl up a little on your side and it's black! so no one will be taking any notice of you and focusing on the movie anyway and it'll hopefully help take your mind off your bum!!
Post op pain killers were Ibruprofen and Co-Codemol (Codeine) I never took the latter because they are renowned for constipating and I just didn't want that possibility!! It ended up that I didn't need to take them anyway. I've taken Ibruprofen on a handful of ocassions since my op and to be honest, it's been more lately for healing soreness!! The fistula is healing nicely, but I have been bit sorer, which my Doc assured me is totally normal. As Jnr2 advised, some of the later healing pains can be worse than some of the earlier!!! but because you know, you are getting better, psychologically, it just doesn't bother me so much.
Finally, post op, they put in a gauze and I left the hospital in padded pants!! I lived in the pants for about 3 days (hospital supplied me with clean pairs), the gauze fell out straight after the op and I used the pads for about 6 days. I was very lucky, I bled for about 6 days and then it all stopped ( and the draining). You will know when to stop using it all trust me. I didn't need a dressing or to pad the wound, so it was pretty much "open" straight after the op. I've just been meticulous with my after care cleaning routine.
I just bought a bag of normal panty pads! (the slightly chunkier padded ones) but bled so lightly after a couple of days that I could have got away with thinner pads.
I changed them twice daily - once after a morning bath with fresh underwear and once in the evening, with fresh underwear. In the last week or so, I actually haven't worn any bottoms in bed and sleep with my bum out of the duvet to air it!!! It feels good to me that I am getting air circulating to the area......
Anyway, don't get too stressed about your op. I'm certain you will be fine!
Always happy to help out if you have any more worries....
Things are getting better by the day. Thanks.
:)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 09 Jul 2012, 13:06

ETO:
Thanks soooooooooooooo much for your response and encouragement! I really appreciate it! What would I do without this forum and people like you who are so willing to share?
To be honest, I am worried AND excited at the same time. I know in my gut that I am making the right decision to have the surgery which really helps. In addition, I really like my CRS and trust his skill. What more can I ask for?
I'm sure I'll have some more questions, especially after the surgery (July 24th), so I really hope you'll stick around the forum for a little while longer!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 09 Jul 2012, 13:39

You are doing great!.....
It's natural to be worried and excited too! Everyone goes through a whole host of emotions pre surgery.
I must admit by the time I went for surgery, I was not at all nervous. I just so wanted to to be done, out the way and get my bum back to normal!! For me it was total relief that it was being sorted.
You are fortunate to have a great CRS and such trust in him. Just remind yourself, he knows his stuff and have faith that your body has every resource to heal itself once the problem is fixed.
Here any time, won't be leaving this site just yet!! and all the very best with your surgery if I don't hear from you sooner! Image
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 11 Jul 2012, 14:29

Hi,
Just a quick update to anyone following my recovery and going through similar stuff....
I'm now exactly 3 weeks post-op and have to say I'm having moments of still feeling very sore, again especially after BM's (always very soft) and when I'm tired in the evening. I can function pretty much as normal again now, drive, sit fairly comfortably, walk with no issues and just feel so much more normal. I'm just wondering when this general discomfort and soreness might pass.....
The wound looks definately better, still a little red but I think less deep and my whole bum area looks great!.....
The stitches finally dissolved a couple of days ago and so I feel I am healing slowly but surely......
You still can't get rid of that odd doubt now & again can you though that some other anal issue might crop up because of the surgery or just generally?!!!........
Aw will be so happy when this is all finally over and I gain that 100% belief that it's all gone for good!.....
Hope anyone else reading is also doing well in their own healing x
Ever the Optimist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 11 Jul 2012, 15:32

Is the pain/discomfort constant? On and off? Only triggered by a bowel movement? How would you rate it on a scale of 1/10?
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 12 Jul 2012, 10:41

Hi TFCKMB,
No, the pain isn't constant. It comes and goes. It's not even pain, just a general feeling of soreness and achiness, worse when I'm tired or just after BM's.........I'd say between a 1/2 at it's worst.....It's changed a bit over the last few days to being higher up and closer to the actual "groove", so it feels like it's healing more in that area now then generally "around" it so to speak....
Still no where near as bad as acute fissure pain or an inflamed abscess or fistula :)
Ever the Optimist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 12 Jul 2012, 10:47

That sounds like healing to me! I'd be happy to ask my CRS about it if you are concerned. I have an appointment with him tomorrow.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 12 Jul 2012, 11:12

Hey that would be great to get his opinion.....Thank you. I'm not concerned really but it's always good to get reassurance that it is continuing healing!! Good luck with your appointment tomorrow and keep us updated :)
Ever the Optimist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 12 Jul 2012, 11:13

Will do!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist